• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I have destroyed my engine (really)

18ffc9bc903b3be24c7e3c4ec7137f3a.jpg

Besides testing the AT, I am also testing this.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Nope, can't figure out the make and model. More clues please.....

Update: the good doctor says the timing chain and the actuator are damaged (parts =300+chf), cleaning out the thousand pieces from engine and labour is about 400~500chf (main cost).
She will be "like new 100%".

Looks like it will be 1000chf (about 1000usd) bill.
:(

If this happened to me I would curse my rotten luck but as much as it would hurt right now I would scrape the funds together to get my bike (Best Bike Ever!) back on the road.

I must admit I was always of the ilk that a bike first and foremost had to be reliable for me to continue ownership. As soon as a problem appeared I moved it on. Gladly most of my bikes were reliable over my years of ownership. I am however meticulous with regard to noises and maintenance etc etc. On the "noises", many of my friends switch off their motorcycles in my company as they are afraid I will hear "something". I once asked a friend with a CX500, "does it always sound like that ?" . A week later it blew up. It was a known problem with early ones but he still tells that story.

Anyway, back to my point, reliability. It was my primary concern until I started purchasing European bikes. My KTM's needed a lot more care than my former Japanese ones. Various issues cropped up here and there but I liked the bikes so much that I had to decide whether to keep them and sort out issues as they occurred, or part with them and go back to "reliable" bikes. I decided to keep them and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Then I got a Triumph Explorer in its first model year. That was when I really found out what problems were about. I traded the first one to avoid the head problem, only to find that the new bike had the same issue. Long story short, despite the various issues it is such a delightful motorcycle that I still have it and I will keep it until it is simply too heavy for me to manhandle. The Wife loves it also more than any other two up bike we have owned. We have done many tours on it on mainland Europe and while I have fretted about it on occasion, it has never let me down and now has 38,000 kms on board. If something breaks I will fix it. So for me now at this stage of my life it is all about the enjoyment of the machine and such practicalities as comfort and ease of use. If reliability comes with that, well and good, but it is no longer my primary consideration.

I hear you and I totally agree.
Reliability....1 single breakdown by the roadside will probably cause me to set her on fire.

Nope, can't figure out the make and model. More clues please.....

To those who drive (aka cagers), this dashboard is unique and a dead giveaway....
It is not Japanese.

(who else wants to play this game?)

Sorry LBS, this IS my thread, so maybe we can have some "fun" talking off topic?
:p

I am not willing to go as far as to say you are not crazy.

But I will say you were right about the post.

Is that an acceptable compromise?

God bless!!

Michael
That is quite acceptable. You might be right about the crazy part. At least I'm not imagining things that aren't real. How's that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Really sorry to hear about your engine problem, I'm another one who struggles with things mechanical so I sympathise (actually managed to set my old BMW on fire disconnecting the battery once, so I'm clumsy as well).

In NZ we have a 'consumer guarantees act' which is a back up in case you buy something which turns out to be a lemon, and acts as a framework for you to challenge the manufacturer in case a product fails well before it 'reasonably' should even if it is out of warranty. It's more of an arbitration than a legal solution, but can be used to motivate manufacturers to do the right thing - if this had happened at to me at such relatively low kms I would certainly be looking for some consideration from Honda (assuming the bike had been ridden/maintained in accordance with their guidelines) or at the very least an explanation.

I'm the one with the tensioner thread. Mine broke. I am mechanically inclined AND almost poor, so I fixed it.
It took about 3 1/2 hours and $100.
It really only took 1 1/2 hours to replace the tensioner (used the original chain). The rest of the time was looking for the missing parts in the oil pan.

I really like the AT (and would go for the DCT version) but I'll have to wait until they start getting traded in. I have a Yamaha Super Tenere that is a hard-to-beat ride for my style of riding. That sucker is HEAVY though, and I'm not getting any younger!

Anyone has any idea why thr tensioner system failed in my engine?
Oil?
Driven too hard?
What can be the issue?
It is only 16000km (under) and always parked under a roof.
It is shiny showroom condition and therefore I am very intrigued by the possible reasons why it got busted.

Could it be that the engine was turned back (clockwise viewed from the left hand side) while checking valve clearances. I read somewhere that turning the engine backward puts undue strain on the cam chain tensioner and breaks at the spring mounting.

Happy:

Maybe you should consider contacting Honda direct or going through your dealer to ask them what might make that part fail.
Try not to feed them any answers to your own questions (could it be due to the fact I ride it like this!)
Tell them it failed and you had to have your engine torn down to repair it and you want to try to understand better what would cause the tensioner to fail and let them do the talking from there.
This way you do not look like you are throwing blame on them which would cause them to go into defensive mode and become hard to deal with.
You just want to understand better what occurred and how you can avoid this in the future.
Maybe several other people have had this same issue and as each one notifies Honda they then start to realize there could be an issue building.
Or you may find out it is a rare occurrence and not anything to be concerned about.
If they ask you questions then answer them but do not over indulge in your answers.
They could ask questions trying to lead you into stating it failed due to something on your part to end your inquiry and end any involvement on their part.
This type of inquiry could make Honda think about the part and if there is any weakness to it.
Contact your Honda dealer to see if they can provide a contact phone number or email address.
They would be the first ones I would check with.
This will let them know you want to find answers but are not blaming them.
You are going directly to the manufacturer.

Those are my thoughts.
Take a day and think about it.

God bless!!

Michael

My mechanic told me earlier, he had seen some weird things on motorbikes, but Honda were not able to solve completely the timing chain issue. All besides, he had such enough practice (25 yrs)on junkyard bikes and not just on 3-5-10 years modell.

No one would expect a timing chain failure when buying a new or almost new bike. I wouldn't also! I will do all the required maintenance or get it done by a mechanic. If it will fail someday, I have to accept it. Even worse could also happen. I'm not a Zen-type, that everything is allright all the time and nothing matters, grass is always green, etc, but a little bit more practical person. But things broke, life goes on. Sometimes bad things happen. Do what you/we have to do, but no one can avoid these kinda things. It might happen to others or no one will ever have this problem.

Happy, if you can buy a new AT, than you are in a very good situation. I guess, you were happy with this bike before this happened to it. It's your call, get it fixed and use it as before. Or trade in and get a new one or another type - like an AT or whatever you want.

But you will make that decision! Whatever other's suggest or say, you can sort it out, whose advice will you take. If you can afford, if you have the chance, the availability, make that decision which makes you happy and satisfied with the result. Get a bike, which you can trust, use it and like it. It has to make you feel good each time you ride it. Without thinking on it : what will be the next time, when a failure will happen.

I hope, you and others understand, what I mean. I guess, you will make the right decision and listen only those, are willing to help you.
I wish you and all of you a great time and a safe ride on the road!

/ I'd like to buy an AT, but I can't afford it right now... and my NC is only 4yrs young with only 21e kms on it. So I'll use for a little while.. another 4-6 years :) /
ps : DCT is a very great thing, I would never buy a manual NC.

Happy were you the guy that the guy at a dealer told you it made a funny noise for a trade in? On that thread, the general advice was that it was probably valve noise.

Back