• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

IBA SaddleSore 1000-In-1 done on a Stock* NC700X

jelo

Reaction score
Visit site
Not official yet as I still need to submit the paperwork - but Saturday completed the required distance (1,000 miles) in the allotted time (one day or 24 hour period) and have the required mileage logs, gas receipts, and witness forms.
Actual numbers for my ride were: 1,060 miles in ~16-1/2 hours including stops.
Route was Billings, MT, to Jamestown, ND, and back. Everything was Interstate except about 6 or 7 miles of it.
What an adventure it was - and YES my butt was sore by the end - as well as my hands and neck from the winds pushing my helmet around.

Stock* - I did add the factory frunk accessory outlet and the factory saddle bags - but didn't ride with those which might have been a blessing as the crosswinds were pretty bad. The only non-factory item I've added is an Ermax rear tire hugger.

IBA SS 1000 - Start.jpg
IBA SS 1000 - Turn Around.jpg
IBA SS 1000 - End.jpg

Congratulations on your achievement! It is a very small club that has done a Saddle Sore on the NC700X. :D

Last edited:
Congratulations on your achievement. I don't think something like that is on my "bucket list", but I'm impressed with those who do it. I'm more of a "stop and smell the roses" kind of guy.

Congratulations! It's quite an achievement, and takes a strong will to do it. I will do it someday!
Please share how you managed the rest along the journey.

Good for you. What kind of mileage did you get? Up the pace just a little and and you would have the 1500 in 24 hours.
Longest ride I'd done before this was 585 miles - and these are only the first days of my second year of riding - so I wanted to focus on doing a good, solid, safe job with the basic ride - I think I got there and paced it out so I felt relatively good afterwards - rode another ~370 miles today. I think the 1500 doable (in either the 1 or 1-1/2 days) but I'm still leery of riding at night with the wildlife around here - there seems to be fresh road kill on the Interstates and highways every morning. I'll figure mileage at some point, but am thinking it was crappy - the crosswinds got really bad the further East I went, and all the gas in ND is 'enriched' or 'fortified' with 10% ethanol as far as I can tell as they make the stuff there. On my gas gauge, that first bar drops out usually after ~65-72 miles - I saw it dropping off after ~55 miles this trip - and worst was ~52miles.

Way to GO!! That is quite an achievement!! Someday I too hope to join that club! :cool:
To have your efforts judged by your peers, against your peers (objectively, not in a bad way), and have them deemed exceptional - that is something.

Longest ride I'd done before this was 585 miles - and these are only the first days of my second year of riding - so I wanted to focus on doing a good, solid, safe job with the basic ride - I think I got there and paced it out so I felt relatively good afterwards - rode another ~370 miles today. I think the 1500 doable (in either the 1 or 1-1/2 days) but I'm still leery of riding at night with the wildlife around here - there seems to be fresh road kill on the Interstates and highways every morning. I'll figure mileage at some point, but am thinking it was crappy - the crosswinds got really bad the further East I went, and all the gas in ND is 'enriched' or 'fortified' with 10% ethanol as far as I can tell as they make the stuff there. On my gas gauge, that first bar drops out usually after ~65-72 miles - I saw it dropping off after ~55 miles this trip - and worst was ~52miles.
I averaged 58.8 mpg on my SS1000 which I thought was pretty good riding for 70 to 80 mph with headwinds almost 2/3rds of the distance. I had planned gas stops at 190 to 210 miles but I had to alter these based on the strong headwinds.

Congratulations! It's quite an achievement, and takes a strong will to do it. I will do it someday!
Please share how you managed the rest along the journey.

Thanks! The route I picked had towns with service stations probably every ~50 miles or so. I figured I 'd ride 1-1/2 to 2 hrs and stop at the nearest place, get gas, eat or drink something - or both, and walk around for maybe 5-10 minutes - just do things I can't do while riding. I kept food & drink light - no fast food - a couple protein bars, some Gatoraid or water (was ~100 degrees in the afternoon and I'm an ATGATT guy). It helped that the scenery was interesting, traffic relatively light, and Interstates uncomplicated. I watched for debris in the road and careless drivers planning to take the space I currently occupied. I found it best to get to a space by myself in between traffic - pass them or be passed, just an opening with few vehicles around me.

I averaged 58.8 mpg on my SS1000 which I thought was pretty good riding for 70 to 80 mph with headwinds almost 2/3rds of the distance. I had planned gas stops at 190 to 210 miles but I had to alter these based on the strong headwinds.

That was the WTF? moment. Not going to chance running out of gas when trying to do this - SO Plan B, switch to the 100-150 mile stops.

Thanks! The route I picked had towns with service stations probably every ~50 miles or so. I figured I 'd ride 1-1/2 to 2 hrs and stop at the nearest place, get gas, eat or drink something - or both, and walk around for maybe 5-10 minutes - just do things I can't do while riding. I kept food & drink light - no fast food - a couple protein bars, some Gatoraid or water (was ~100 degrees in the afternoon and I'm an ATGATT guy). It helped that the scenery was interesting, traffic relatively light, and Interstates uncomplicated. I watched for debris in the road and careless drivers planning to take the space I currently occupied. I found it best to get to a space by myself in between traffic - pass them or be passed, just an opening with few vehicles around me.
Thanks for sharing! For sure I need to go to the gym first to build up my physical endurance and some practices of riding with shorter distances to get my confidence riding 1000+ miles within 24 hours.

I have the greatest admiration for those who have accomplished this milestone or are even contemplating it. That is one heck of a day. In 1974 I did a little over 900 miles in a day on 4 wheels and was absolutely dead at the end. These days on a road trip somewhere around 550 in a day is about my limit and I'd really prefer somewhere around 450. And yes, that's still 4 wheels.

Congratulations!

Congrats on accomplishing that hardcore ride!

but I'm still leery of riding at night with the wildlife around here - there seems to be fresh road kill on the Interstates and highways every morning.

Ain't that the truth. I'm always hyper aware when riding at night in known deer areas. Some people can avoid riding during the most dangerous deer activity hours, but there's no way to do that with a ride that requires at least 18 hours on the road at sane speeds. And then there's nut cases like me that did a SS1000 to Kalispell and back that had me leaving Kalispell at 10pm for a night ride back to Seattle. There's lots of deer on the side of the roads between Kalispell and St Regis at night! :eek:

Back