• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

IBA SaddleSore 1000-In-1 done on a Stock* NC700X

I stumbled across the 1000 miles in 24 hours ride on the iron butt associations site when I was looking at bikes... I thought to myself at the time... 1000 miles in 24 hours? Doesn't seem like that big of a deal... I did pretty close to 1,400 in 24 hours from boston to Chicago in my car... Then I got the bike, and did my first 100 mile ride... well I still think 1000 miles in 24 hours is doable (especially on the right roads at the right time of day... i.e. across north dakota... or montana) I no longer think it would be easy.

As for the stock seat, I'm curious how you felt about it over such a long run.
Personally I think the first 10-20 minutes on the seat is fine... the next 20 after that it's terrible, but then either my *** starts to go numb, or I manage to find another good spot to sit, and usually by that time I'm ending my ride. So in 1,000 miles did you feel like the seat came and went, or after a while was it just something that you accepted and weren't bothered by any more?

I stumbled across the 1000 miles in 24 hours ride on the iron butt associations site when I was looking at bikes... I thought to myself at the time... 1000 miles in 24 hours? Doesn't seem like that big of a deal... I did pretty close to 1,400 in 24 hours from boston to Chicago in my car... Then I got the bike, and did my first 100 mile ride... well I still think 1000 miles in 24 hours is doable (especially on the right roads at the right time of day... i.e. across north dakota... or montana) I no longer think it would be easy.

Personally I think the first 10-20 minutes on the seat is fine... the next 20 after that it's terrible, but then either my *** starts to go numb, or I manage to find another good spot to sit, and usually by that time I'm ending my ride. So in 1,000 miles did you feel like the seat came and went, or after a while was it just something that you accepted and weren't bothered by any more?

'Easy' is not a word I would use to describe it. Numerous things work at fatiguing you over that kind of time and distance - temps, winds, vibration, sun in your eyes, . . . - it is work, you gotta commit to it and pace yourself.
Helps to have a good plan - with options, and choosing a route that minimizes traffic was a real bonus.

I'm about 5'8" ~165 - seat works for me up to about 6 hours, after that I have to move around a bit, which I did and just learned to put up with it.
When I would stop for gas, I made it a point to walk around for a while and that seemed to help.
I did a two hour ride, and then later a three hour ride on it the following day - there were really no lasting effects from the big ride.
So I guess I'd say it more or less works for me - I don't see a reason to change it.

My comments on 1054 miles on the stock seat are here:

Posted 11/24/12: "Early Saturday morning 10/27 I got up and went for a ride on my 700. When I got back home I had completed a documented IBA Saddle Sore 1000. I rode a clockwise loop and for all of the left half I had a good NW to north headwind as a result of the squeeze between the high pressure system over the Mississippi Valley and Hurricane Sandy off the FL coast. My goal was to maintain about 75 mph. My mpg for this section was 56.45. I was riding 70 to 78 mph with a throttle lock most of the time so my speed would drop going up hill and run up going downhill. If I was going to exceed 78 mph I would roll off a bit and if I dropped under 68 I would roll on a little. The exception was nearing Atlanta from the SW on I-85 and leaving Atlanta going south on I-75. The road was 4 to 6 lanes and light traffic was moving fast. I ran 80 or more comfortably for about 50 miles. Some traffic was moving close to 90 if that gives a better description. I usually ride in the left lane at or close to traffic speed so I can control passing or being passed situations. After I made the downhill turn at Atlanta, GA the wind became a tailwind but as the day wore on into night the wind dropped to very little so I did not get quite the boost to offset the headwinds of the first 10 hours. The "downhill" section was less hilly as well and I was better able to maintain a steady 72-75 mph. The mpg was 65.1 for this section. I had my Givi topbox on with a few articles of clothing, gloves, tools in it.

Overall this SS1000 was 17 hours 36 minutes and 1054 GPS miles. My odometer required a 3.23% correction factor from displayed figures on the odometer. My overall average was 59.9 mph and moving average was 68.7 mph. I would rather travel off the interstate but from my experience riding cross country on the small roads I like I can only maintain average speed over ground of 40 to 45 mph and that would have taken over 22 hours. I did a SS1000 five years ago on my Honda ST1300 with about half of it on rural two lane roads and it took 20 hours and it was much more tasking mentally. Looking back after completion of that ride I took an unacceptable level of risk to maintain 65+ on rural roads in the dark and during some heavy rain. So when I route planned this Saddle Sore I stayed on interstates I-10, I-65, I-85 and I-75. Boring but more efficient for this mission. I had gas stops planned every 190 to 210 miles which should have left at least 40 miles in reserve and possibly 50 on some legs. As such I was surprised to see the low fuel bar start blinking at 155 miles into the first leg of 195 miles when I had planned this happening about 30 miles further down the road. The headwind was taking a toll I had not expected - doing the mental calculations I thought I could make the first planned stop with about .2 gallons in reserve. I had never drawn a tank down that far so I did not want to blow the SS1000 attempt by walking to a gas station at 6 in the morning by trusting Honda's claim of 3.71 usable gallons. I made the first gas stop 20 miles early which threw off all the rest of my planned stops but I was able to wing fuel stops the rest of the way. Lots of fuel available on the interstates in the SE USA. Overall I used 17.93 gallons of unleaded 10% ethanol regular and obtained 58.8 mpg overall. The headwinds affected me more than I thought they would when planning but it was something to learn.

I did not find the NC700X seat uncomfortable. My ST has a Sargent seat and with it's hard foam and flat design it is similar in feel to the stock NC700X seat but the NC seat is somewhat narrower in front section. I like the stock seat so far and see no reason to change it for the riding I do. As you know there are things we can do to extend comfort time when necessary - dangle legs down off the pegs for a while, shift one cheek off to the side and ride kind of sidesaddle for a while, slump back onto the wide part of the seat now and then, use the passenger pegs, stand up on the pegs, etc., anything to shift position and keep hot spots to a minimum. I did all these things as required but the seat was not a limiting factor and the next day I was not sore or anything. When I got home under 18 hours with 1064 miles ( From my home it was 5 miles to the gas station where officially started and finished )I considered getting a few hours sleep and riding another 500 miles to do a Bun Burner 1500 but my wife was kind of hacked off about me coming home at 9 PM Saturday night. I did tell her Friday evening "I plan on riding a long ride tomorrow" but I wasn't telling any more than that. Anyway I could see when I got home I better sack the plans to get another 500 in on Sunday if I wanted to sleep in the house. To be fair I texted her a couple of times during the SS ride so I wasn't totally AWOL. "Having a great time on a long ride" and "home after dinner" sort of stuff. I missed seeing the Gators getting beat by Georgia though.

I packed some light snacks and hard candy in the not-a-tank storage and enjoyed these while riding. Like on the ST1300 I keep a squeeze bottle of water in the tank storage that I can access while riding. I only stopped once for more than gas and a potty break and that was only 43 minutes for gas and McDonalds breakfast next door. The line was long - it ain't fast food anymore. Heck, it might not be food anymore. I ate a couple power bars and guzzled fruit juice at each gas stop. A modular helmet is a requirement for me on long rides so I can drink water and take nourishment underway as well as talking to gas station clerks and the like. I don't do LD riding over 500 miles very often but I have found it is a mental pursuit as much as physical and making a pact with myself to have a snack in 30 or 50 more miles does make the time and miles fly by as well as trying to take in the scenery I am passing through. The leaves on the trees in eastern AL and western GA were beautiful. The ride went easy and I was not worn out or anything but on the other hand the riding conditions were very good with no rain and cool temps easily moderated with my Gerbing electric jacket liner and Symtech heated grips. I saw lots of deer along the shoulder of I-10 in the predawn hours and I had to dodge a raccoon on I-10 somewhere around Chipley where FLSTOC is going to be this year. Traffic except for Atlanta was light and the air was generally clean and did not beat me up despite the headwinds and gusty conditions. The ST has spoiled me in this regard and the ST has it all over the NC in the wind protection department of course. I have added an aftermarket windshield and handguards and the wind management is adequate but no more. Often I would look down at my legs in the breeze and wonder how well Honda's accessory wind deflectors for the legs and feet would work at 75 mph. Early feedback from other owners is that they don't do too much protecting. The aftermarket may fill this need - if it is a need. I'll rarely ride the NC 1000 miles at a time and the shorter rides of 450 miles in warmer weather did not reveal a lack of protection that cooler weather does. Anyway, it was a fun ride and not really much of an effort."

Good for you. What kind of mileage did you get? Up the pace just a little and and you would have the 1500 in 24 hours.
Here's the stats:

16:11 hours, 1060 miles, 65.5 mph average, 18.8 gallons, $74.33
56.5 mpg average - range was: 52.3 to 64.4
Made ten stops along the way, seven for gas - one stop was nearly a half-hour but most were closer to 15 minutes or less.
Had one chocolate milk, two Gatoraids, some water, two protein bars - then pigged out on brisket platter at Famous Dave's afterwards with a big Guinness.

Last edited:
Like Jelo said, one of the keys on any seat (and especially uncomfortable ones) is to move around. Occasional use of highway pegs or even passenger pegs (haven't tried that one on the NC and don't know if it's feasible or comfortable), scooting back/forth and even standing up while riding work wonders to keep the blood flowing and avoid "monkey butt." Don't know if Russell makes a Day Long seat for the NC, but that would be the ultimate for long distance comfort.

I do have to say that I've done 500 mile days on unfaired bikes and felt more fatigued than a 1000 mile day on my FJR. That constant wind blast is extremely fatigueing! So hats off to guys like Jelo and Dduelin that ride distances on bikes like the NC700X. I cheat by riding a bike that's the bastard child of a Hayabusa and a Gold Wing (Scary fast and reasonably good handling with the benefit of long distance comfort). ;)

Last edited:
. . . passenger pegs . . .
Done the passenger pegs a number of times - easy to feel for them with your feet and flip them out. It is an odd position but does get you down out of the winds if bad. Don't think you could do it for very long though but if you need to move around, it is a functional option.

Last edited:
I recently discovered a great alternative to McDonald's and their crowd of people at breakfast time. On my ride home from the horizons unlimited meet, I stopped for gas and the station had a subway. Tried one of their new breakfast flatbread sandwiches and it was pretty good. Best part no line! I was in and out having eaten in 5 minutes.

If you did 1000 in under 17 hours, you didn't stop often, or for long. I've done a little over 900 mile 6 times riding back home to st Louis on my VFR, and it takes me right at 14 hours every time.
I only get off the bike to eat twice. Fuel stops, I don't even throw my leg over the seat, just stay on while fueling, something not practical on the ncx with the tank under the seat.
You were setting a very good pace. The last 200 miles was always the toughest for me but you can see the end in sight.
smileythumbsup.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
When I rode the NC to New York last year with the stock seat, the only salvation was standing up any time the speeds dropped below 50 mph or so.

Now, wid de Russell, I be sittin'.

Congratulations! I'm in training for my SS1000. I took a 340 mile ride today. It wasn't bad with my Rocky seat, but I still have to walk every now and then or my knee will shut me down.

When I rode the NC to New York last year with the stock seat, the only salvation was standing up any time the speeds dropped below 50 mph or so.

Now, wid de Russell, I be sittin'.

cheap solution... Airhawk. While I haven't had to use it since I got the seat concepts seat, I plan to take it on any ride over 500 miles and swap it in, and out, at every stop, just to change things up. I think that will make my butt very happy!
smileyteeth.jpg

I only did the 900 mile St louis trip once (round trip) without the airhawk. THAT was what prompted me to BUY the airhawk and it was my most valuable upgrade for distance riding on the VFR. I literally would not leave home without it!

With the Seat Concepts seat I never even pulled the Airhawk out of the trunk for the ride to Iron Horse Lodge. But that was only 330 miles. I think I might have wanted it soon... probably by the next fuel stop which would have been around 500 miles.

Yes, I got the highway pegs on. I may make some type of slider for my engine guards to change it up. Age has caught my body, just not my mind.

Congratulations! I'm in training for my SS1000. I took a 340 mile ride today. It wasn't bad with my Rocky seat, but I still have to walk every now and then or my knee will shut me down.

You know, I didn't train for it. I'm 48, only been riding a year - I just decided to go for it - you can always turn around or just stop, and try again another day. Someone brought up the idea like a week or two before - I looked into the rules, came up with a route, checked the weather - everything kinda came together. Maybe that's a little crazy, and maybe all the riding I'd done up to that point counted as training - I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I did not take this casually - this would be a significant effort no matter how I looked at - I had a solid plan, maps of towns, rest stops, distances, changes in elevation, . . . - even went on Google Earth's Street-View to look at intersections and service stations I was considering. Prepare yourself in the way that you need to, and then just do it.

Congratulations! Wow! +16 hours, +1000 miles on 700. The helmet buffeting I get, even with ear plugs, I can't imagine.
You are a trooper. :)

You know, I didn't train for it. I'm 48, only been riding a year - I just decided to go for it - you can always turn around or just stop, and try again another day. Someone brought up the idea like a week or two before - I looked into the rules, came up with a route, checked the weather - everything kinda came together. Maybe that's a little crazy, and maybe all the riding I'd done up to that point counted as training - I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I did not take this casually - this would be a significant effort no matter how I looked at - I had a solid plan, maps of towns, rest stops, distances, changes in elevation, . . . - even went on Google Earth's Street-View to look at intersections and service stations I was considering. Prepare yourself in the way that you need to, and then just do it.

I really wasn't training.;) A couple of friends and I just went on a little ride. I just haven't had the time to make it a ss1000 yet. One of my friends and I have been wanting to do it together but our schedules haven't been agreeing.

Last edited:
Back