• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

If there was 1 thing you could change or tell Honda about the NC what would it be?

Better suspension I guess. It is good for the original mission profile and price point but since I'm in the middle of upgrading suspension it gets my vote.

For me, it would also have to be a larger fuel tank at the top of the list. A close tie though, would be a "normal" turn signal/horn button placement, not the bizarro world upside down arrangement. :p I'm still working on trying to find a replacement for it from another model, with the least amount of hassle.

Good question and many interesting replies. For me it would be to have the fuel filler access NOT under the rear seat. I've found that without modification (such as Hondabikepro's awesome rear plate with access cutout) it is wasted space and cumbersome to gas up when using that area to tie down stuff on longer hauls.

In regards to shaft drive, it is a well-accepted engineering rule that each time the power flow changes direction, you lose 5%. Shaft drive bikes with the crankshaft perpendicular to the axis of the motorcycle, such as the NC, would require two changes of direction. The NC couldn't absorb a 10% loss without it being very noticeable.

More power, more fuel range, more suspension compliance, more suspension travel, cruise control. What more need I say?

My true ultimate wish list to make the NCX perfect, would include:

-Hydraulic valve adjusters
-gear driven cam system instead of chain
-shaft drive*
-larger fuel tank, minimum 5 gallons, with the ability to easily and safely swap out the trunk storage capability with an additional couple gallon fuel cell, when desired.
-electronic cruise control
-fuel filler outside of rear seat instead of under it
-tool less, quick adjust seat height, peg height/fore/aft, windshield height
-single (or better double) plain round headlight instead of the swoopy 3-d style single one
-2" more suspension travel, and at least 3" more ground clearance
-simple, bolt on plastic fairing panels. No hidden and spastic secret tabs and prongs and rage inducing slots.
- I don't like the fuel gauge going from two bars to blinking red, it should drop to one solid one first, and only after that, go to the red blinking reserve.
-19" slightly narrower front wheel
-tubeless spoked rims
-I could live with the brakes not being linked, quite happily
-ability to turn off ABS
-a more forgiving rev limiter, that was progressive instead of slamming the door so abruptly.
-die, upside down turnsignal switch, die

Honourable mention: A rider switchable on/off Supercharger that didn't take up all the room of the front trunk. lol :eek:

* re Shaft drive- my only fear with a shafty is that the gearing choice has to be totally spot on. This is almost impossible to do for every different person's wish and type of riding they are going to do. It's virtually impossible to ever do anything about the ratios, if it's not quite right. Huge gamble there.

With all that the bike won't cost 6000$ anymore and you might as well get a BMW GS or other large enduro. Sure there are a few things that could be better, but Honda solved the bike pretty well imo when having the budget in mind.

Shaft drive is heavy, not totally maintenance free, and robs power. Could they make it a 100,000 mile belt and have it fully enclosed to remove the risk of rock damage?

L.B.S is right. If the shaft drive doesn't have the right ratio, you're usually screwed.

With all that the bike won't cost 6000$ anymore and you might as well get a BMW GS or other large enduro. Sure there are a few things that could be better, but Honda solved the bike pretty well imo when having the budget in mind.

Ah, admittedly I am alone in this, but I personally do not look at a motorcycle with: "how much it is worth compared to a [fill in blank here] brand or model or size of bike."

I'm the type of guy who would buy a $15,000 dollar 4 cylinder 250 or 400cc bike if I could get one exactly how I wanted, and not even glance at a 600 or 1,000cc version of the same bike, for the same cost. I just plain don't want one. I bet I have spent more on my CBR125R than many here have on their NC700's.

You literally could not pay me to ride another (new) BMW, let alone buy one. If you gave me a free brand new one, I would instantly sell it, or give it away. KTM's may be awesome, but I don't want a KTM. A new 1,000cc Honda Africa Twin sure is a beauty, and I wouldn't mind having one of those as well as my NCX, but not instead of, and certainly not instead of the uber spec'd NCX of my wish list.

Remember, my last post was a personal fantasy wish list, with no causality as far as making it for everybody else too, and topping that off with budget constraints. :D

Last edited:
Put me down for one of L.B.S.'s fantasy NCX's. Might as well put a chain guard on it, if not a shafty.

Remember, my last post was a personal fantasy wish list, with no causality as far as making it for everybody else too, and topping that off with budget constraints. :D

I know. :)

I'm pretty excited to see the new Africa Twin, seems to fit into alot of the things people list here, except the shaft drive and a few other small things. ;) A light enduro like a KTM690 is missing in the Honda lineup if I recall correclty.

Shaft drive please. This is the first chain drive I've owned in 20 years. A Yamaha Vision and 4 Moto Guzzis. Never did a thing for any of them. I know a chain and related maintenance is not a big deal, but it is almost foreign to me now.

I am willing to pay more for an NC with a few mods, especially the chain drive.

Not many are willing to spend more ..............

Just an observation .........the NT700 had many of these added futures like luggage, better brakes, shaft drive, better wind protection. These upgrades came at a price which made the bike a very poor seller in the US market and was discontinued.

Back