• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Initial Service cost

I glad Happy got all the freebies! All I get is 15% off any future purchases. Heck this bike sells so fast here I'm surprised anyone gets freebies with it.
Next year it may come with some extras. My Honda dealers can't even find center stands or OEM service manuals yet!

FYI....stealership just quoted me $150 plus oil and filter cost....roughly a little under $200. Everything checked from nuts and bolts to safety items and steering head bearings. Valve clearance is NOT checked at 600 miles but at every 8000 miles. So no initial valve clearance inspection....unlike every other bike I have ever owned. Maybe Honda has finally perfected initial valve lash adjustment. ;)

I did mine myself for the cost of a Honda oil filter and 4 qts. of Amsoil 10W30MCT oil. I would like to trust my dealer, but after I saw the way they short-cutted the original set-up I wouldn't let them touch it. I almost wouldn't mind paying the outrageous shop hourly rates if a real professional technician was doing things with knowledge and skill. Instead, the shop hires kids with little skill or experience. My oil was over-filled, the radiator was under-filled, tire pressures were wrong, and the battery strap was not connected to the battery. And it's a little thing, but the clock was still showing the 1:00AM from battery installation. It would have been a sign of care just to set the clock.

I had the same problem when I bought a Jetta TDI. I had to tell the service manager what type of oil for the engine and transmission.
He understood why I wouldn't let the VW service department do the service for that car. He did send his techs for more training after talking with me though.

Although I understand most people will expect a free 1st service for a brand new bike, I was quite happy that I paid something for mine.
I will tell you why.

If this first service was "gratis", then perhaps the dealer will not be so conscientious to really check all the checkpoints?

My dealer changed the oil, checked all the free-play, the chain, the coolant levels, etc etc...washed the bike too.

I paid say 150chf (150usd) for the 1.5hour spent while the rest 100chf was for the oil and filter/materials.
For peace of mind, I think this is money well spent.

Also, dealers are businesses. They also need a profit or two.
If one is to INSIST on freebies, they may be out of business sooner than later.
TBC, I did not insist on my freebies, I only asked once and he said yes quickly to catch this happy customer.
Both he and I are happy, that is what matters most IMHO.

If the NC wasn't brand new here in the US, I think it could be had at a lower price and extras thrown in. Freebies aren't a deal breaker for me, but quality service is.
I have found that a lot of so called experts have no more experience than a fry cook with a two week degree in their new field.
I'll gladly pay for quality workmanship, but I will do it myself before I let someone that is not qualified do any work for me.
I am lucky that I have friends that are very good mechanics. One also has the certification from Honda for anything that I can't handle.

If the NC wasn't brand new here in the US, I think it could be had at a lower price and extras thrown in. Freebies aren't a deal breaker for me, but quality service is.
I have found that a lot of so called experts have no more experience than a fry cook with a two week degree in their new field.
I'll gladly pay for quality workmanship, but I will do it myself before I let someone that is not qualified do any work for me.
I am lucky that I have friends that are very good mechanics. One also has the certification from Honda for anything that I can't handle.

Agree with good mechanics.
The service industry in Switzerland is very strict. They need to go through 2-3 years apprenticeship with a garage before they can even touch your bike (on their own). The garage which I went to, had 3 senior mechanics and 1 apprentice. The owner also won "Honda Mechanic of the year", in 1988 or something...

In Switzerland, we pay for good quality, especially at authorised Honda dealerships.
:D

My dealer gave me a coupon for $79.95 as an appreciation for my business. I wouldn't be taking there as it is quite a drive (may be i should for the scenic ride) and will be doing the service myself.

I did mine myself for the cost of a Honda oil filter and 4 qts. of Amsoil 10W30MCT oil. I would like to trust my dealer, but after I saw the way they short-cutted the original set-up I wouldn't let them touch it. I almost wouldn't mind paying the outrageous shop hourly rates if a real professional technician was doing things with knowledge and skill. Instead, the shop hires kids with little skill or experience. My oil was over-filled, the radiator was under-filled, tire pressures were wrong, and the battery strap was not connected to the battery. And it's a little thing, but the clock was still showing the 1:00AM from battery installation. It would have been a sign of care just to set the clock.

Yep, did it myself too! $30 later...

FYI...dropped the bike off at the dealer for the first service. She was ready the next day around noon. A washer, oil filter, 4 qts of GN4 10w-40 oil and various "shop supplies". Total parts came to $37.81. Labor was 2 hours....so the total damage was $191.61 out the door. Not too bad, I guess.

Next service due at 8000 miles. Though I don't think I can trust conventional oil to go that long. Thinking I'll change oil/filter every 4000 miles instead. :confused:

I did the NC700X 600 mile service myself for about $15 (oil and filter). I also bought the Honda manual shipped from Helm for $70. My NC will probably never visit a dealer's shop for as long as I own it unless recalls are issued.

I did the NC700X 600 mile service myself for about $15 (oil and filter). I also bought the Honda manual shipped from Helm for $70. My NC will probably never visit a dealer's shop for as long as I own it unless recalls are issued.

I may have said I will "always" go to the dealer for oil changes and so forth, but having been on the forum for this long, I am tempted to do one or 2 oil changes myself (just for the kick of it).
Can someone post pictures on how to reach and undo the oil filter? Usual culprits are EXPECTED to post pictures.... :p

Thanks!

$191.61 for an oil and filter change? Wow...I am speechless. 2 hours labor? I would be verifying and checking what was done. Guess I need to look at the manual and see what all is required for my 600 mile service. I agree with Beemer, my dealer is also not to be trusted for quality work. My clock was not set at delivery either. Fluids and tire air pressure were ok, but I still intend to to thoroughly check all fasteners etc. The fasteners for my windscreen were loose (just barely snug, I realize they are rubber mounted and should not be super tight, but they were definitely not tight enough) People in general just don't seem to take pride in their work, just slam the job so they have more time for cell phones etc.

$191.61 for an oil and filter change? Wow...I am speechless. 2 hours labor?

After having done my 600 mile oil filter change myself, the only thing I can figure is that it took BigMike's dealer 1.5 hours of the labor just to get the original filter off. Honda has a gorilla at the factory that puts them on.

I've called around to various Honda shops in my area and the average price for the 600 mile service is about $275. I love how we are basically paying the dealer to check their own work. I've watched them perform this service on one of my bikes in the past, and unless you have no mechanical ability whatsoever, this is an hour or so tops just going through the checklist provided in your manual.

Unless a valve adjustment is required with the first service, I do it all myself and will do so for the NC.

Although we pay double the price when buying the bike compared with bros in the states...we pay half or less for maintenance...the first oil change using cheap mineral oil (castrol activ) with oil filter change cost ard 60 USD. Parts inclusive.
I always think that one dont earn much being a mechanic....as people don't want to pay much to get their car service, etc. all it takes is to put ourselves in their shoes to realize that they do need to charge reasonable rates to pay for their house loans, car loans, children expenses.....and they get their hands dirty too!
The list goes on....engineers compared with lawyers and doctors etc....
cheers

Although we pay double the price when buying the bike compared with bros in the states...we pay half or less for maintenance...the first oil change using cheap mineral oil (castrol activ) with oil filter change cost ard 60 USD. Parts inclusive.
I always think that one dont earn much being a mechanic....as people don't want to pay much to get their car service, etc. all it takes is to put ourselves in their shoes to realize that they do need to charge reasonable rates to pay for their house loans, car loans, children expenses.....and they get their hands dirty too!
The list goes on....engineers compared with lawyers and doctors etc....
cheers

$60.00 is what my local dealer charges for the first service. It seems there are a lot of dealers that are crooks.

$60 sounds much more reasonable, even if that is +parts. The techs need to make a living but I just don't see more than 1 hour or so for the 600 mile service. Change oil+filter, clean, lube, adjust chain and a few misc fluid and mechanical inspections. Am I missing anything?

Back