• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Instrument backlight out, then on again?????

eastbayandy

Reaction score
Visit site
Started my bike[2012 NC700x] last night and no instrument light. Later in the evening after being parked a while it was lit again. When I searched topic one possible cause could be a low battery, but mine had a full charge .I'd like to avoid this happening again, especially at night. ?????

Loose or less than tight battery connections.
Loose or soft set electrical connectors at or around the instrument panel.

There has been a couple other members with this same issue. I was one of them. I went as far as removing the connector to the display and cleaning the connector with some aerosol electrical contact cleaner. I still had the issue after that. In my case, it appeared to be my battery. I started riding a shorter route to work which took me only 20 minutes. Apparently, this did not charge the battery well enough (in the winter). I started riding my original route which takes 30 minutes and the problem is gone. I still have the original battery form 2012.

You'll notice that the display tries to light initially but the draw on the battery while cranking, lowers the battery to a point that it doesn't offer the needed power to keep it lit. That has been my case. The cold and a slightly weak battery caused my issues. I have not had the problem since taking longer rides. I know you don't want to hear it is the battery but it likely is.

There has been a couple other members with this same issue. I was one of them. I went as far as removing the connector to the display and cleaning the connector with some aerosol electrical contact cleaner. I still had the issue after that. In my case, it appeared to be my battery. I started riding a shorter route to work which took me only 20 minutes. Apparently, this did not charge the battery well enough (in the winter). I started riding my original route which takes 30 minutes and the problem is gone. I still have the original battery form 2012.

You'll notice that the display tries to light initially but the draw on the battery while cranking, lowers the battery to a point that it doesn't offer the needed power to keep it lit. That has been my case. The cold and a slightly weak battery caused my issues. I have not had the problem since taking longer rides. I know you don't want to hear it is the battery but it likely is.
thanks, I still have the original battery, so I'll get it tested and go from there.

Back