• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is everyone shifting where the manual says to shift?

Yesterday I suggested that I changed at revs somewhere between 3500 and 4500. Well, I was wrong. I thought it was around that mark, but today when I was off on a trip I decided to monitor it for a while. I am actually changing in a range from about 3000 to 4000 rpm and mostly around 3500. That is considerably lower than I had previously thought. Just a useless piece of information :)

I'm shifting in the 2500 to 3000 range. I no longer pull away from traffic lights on 1st. I generally take it down to 2nd gear and stop. Then pull away on 2nd. (Just in case anyone's taking notes :)

The point I shift gears at is dependent on the riding situation. Am I going up hill, down hill, into fast moving traffic, slow moving traffic, pavement, gravel, dirt. Just to many factors involved for a set place to shift gears. It is just a fell for the situation that determines where I shift gears.

I have no idea where I shift. It's whenever it sounds right and feels right and most likely it is never the same. What I do know is I shift at a much lower rpm than I did with my CBR. You can tell by reading prior comments that many people don't pay attention either. You just know when it needs to be done or you learn it as you ride.

I've never thought about where to shift, so much as where *not* to shift.

I know not to lug the engine, I know not to ham-fistedly lock up the rear tire with clueless downshifts, I know when staying in the same gear will be more satisfying than slavishly shifting up, because a book told me I should.

This most often goes against the mpg Boffin's recommended figures, as it just does not jibe with my real world needs and wants for what I take out of the motorcycling experience.

For sure, sometimes I will shift within close parametres of the manual according to my whims, but I'm not in this for cold, clinical, lab coated results. I ride because it's fun, baby. ;)

Back