• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

is NC700x DCT motorcycle or scooter?

K

kc2ine

I am a little fuzzy about what are the distinguishing factors between those types...

A scooter is generally considered to have a step through frame and the rider is more likely to rest their feet in front of them on a floorboard. Scooter wheels are often smaller. The scooter often has an engine mounted as part of the rear swing arm.

I believe you can look up these definitions on Wikipedia.

None of those traits fit the NC700X, so it is clearly a motorcycle and not a scooter.

Last edited:
A scooter is generally considered to have a step through frame and the rider is more likely to rest their feet in front of them on a floorboard. Scooter wheels are often smaller. The scooter often has an engine mounted as part of the rear swing arm.

I believe you can look up these definitions on Wikipedia.

None of those traits fit the NC700X, so it is clearly a motorcycle and not a scooter.

Also scooter have a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is a transmission that can change seamlessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that offer a fixed number of gear ratios. (As taken from Wikipedia).

DCT or Dual Clutch Transmission is a type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit. They are usually operated in a fully automatic mode, and many also have the ability to allow the driver to manually shift gears, albeit still carried out by the transmission's electro-hydraulics (As taken from Wikipedia).

Watch this video for further detail.

[video=youtube;z1-1qmNpeTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-1qmNpeTI[/video]

Honda is the only motorcycle company to employ a DCT for motorcycle applications at this time.

Also scooter have a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is a transmission that can change seamlessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that offer a fixed number of gear ratios. (As taken from Wikipedia).

DCT or Dual Clutch Transmission is a type of semi-automatic or automated manual automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit. They are usually operated in a fully automatic mode, and many also have the ability to allow the driver to manually shift gears, albeit still carried out by the transmission's electro-hydraulics (As taken from Wikipedia).

Watch this video for further detail.

[video=youtube;z1-1qmNpeTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-1qmNpeTI[/video]

Honda is the only motorcycle company to employ a DCT for motorcycle applications at this time.

I left the CVT transmission type out of the scooter definition, since I believe there are scooters with transmission types other than CVT. Certainly old scooters existed that did not use CVT. You can buy a modern scooter with a manual transmission. Here is an example: the Genuine Stella with 4 speed manual transmission.

I don't think transmission type defines whether the vehicle is a scooter or motorcycle, but of course there is overlap and exceptions in all aspects of the scooter definition. One could even consider the Honda Integra to be a form of maxi scooter, and it has a DCT.

Last edited:
Around here (cant get it but) the DCT would be considered a motorcycle. Transmission and engine size do not define a scooter. A scooter as stated above
is feet forward, on floorboard, engine below and behind rider.
The Suzuki Burgman 650 is a scooter but has a transmission similar to the NC DCT.

and funny about the Mana. Two bikes pretty much same mechanicals - the Aprilia Mana and Gilera GP800. one is a scooter one is a motorcycle. But both about same
drive train -wise.

lets not forget the Honda Integra, pretty much the same as the NC DCT but looks like a traditional scooter.

For me, the step through feature and floorboards are the distinguishing marks of a scooter. Engine size and transmission type are negligible elements. In my teen years I had a Lambretta scooter on which I delivered newspapers. A fellow paper carrier rode a Ducati 125 (new to the US at the time). The distinguishing mark then was that when we delivered our papers in the rain, my feet and legs stayed dry (I wore a poncho) while his got wet!

I am a little fuzzy about what are the distinguishing factors between those types...
If you can't tell the difference between a scooter and a motorcycle then it really doesn't matter what those difference are....does it? :)

Why? Because to you, they are indistinguishable!

Hint: When wearing your dress, mounting a scooter won't show your goods...mounting a motorcycle in your dress will.... ;-)

A guy that rides an Aprillia calls my bike a scooter. The NC700X is whatever you want it to be. Who gives a flip what others say anyway?

Back when I was going through my Harley Davidson phase, It wasn't at all unusual to have another Harley rider look at my Road King and say something like "nice Scooter" or sometimes just "nice scoot". Somehow, I wasn't offended by that :)

Feet together = Scooter.
Feet apart = Motorcycle.
Feet working = Bicycle.

You don't need a wikipedia to know these things....now do you? :p

A guy that rides an Aprillia calls my bike a scooter. The NC700X is whatever you want it to be. Who gives a flip what others say anyway?

WELL PUT, Bigjeff.

I have found out through my own personal experience that riders of Italian motorcycles feel that their bikes are God's gift to humanity. I would say that they have a "Complex" to say the least.

Back