• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is this "normal" tire wear...

I got 9k out of my rear Metzler and 18k out of the front Metzler. Front would have gone much further, but I had rode on it low on air for awhile unknowingly.

I have 11k and 2k respectively on a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2's. I love them!

solved the problem today. I got the Michelin Pilot Road 2 (not three) front and rear. Installed, out the door $375.

I think the dealer was happy to have the 2s go out because people now want the 3s.

As a point of information I believe all motorcycle tires have TWI bars molded into the tread. These appear as bars or dots in the bottom of tread grooves or sipes. The TWIs can be easily found by examining the outside edge of the tire and locating the letters TWI or a small triangle. At that spot look over at the adjacent sipes. The TWI bars will be in line across the tread down inside adjacent sipes. They stand 1/32" proud and when the tire wears down enough the TWI bar will appear flush with the rest of tire surface and the sipe it is in will have 1/32" of depth remaining which is the least depth to evacuate standing water.

Most of the rear motorcycle tires I have bought start with 8/32" of depth so the distance to the TWI is 7/32". Fronts usually are 5/32" when new. I measure remaining depth during the life of the tire to estimate remaining life. It is not exact but it is accurate enough for me to project remaing life.

As a point of information I believe all motorcycle tires have TWI bars molded into the tread. These appear as bars or dots in the bottom of tread grooves or sipes. The TWIs can be easily found by examining the outside edge of the tire and locating the letters TWI or a small triangle. At that spot look over at the adjacent sipes. The TWI bars will be in line across the tread down inside adjacent sipes. They stand 1/32" proud and when the tire wears down enough the TWI bar will appear flush with the rest of tire surface and the sipe it is in will have 1/32" of depth remaining which is the least depth to evacuate standing water.

Dave, there's nothing better for me than when people teach. Thank you for that. I'll examine the TWI and look for the bars/dots.

TWI bars = tire wear indicators?

(bad joke follows:)
TMI bars = lounges where people drink too much and tell me too much information about their lives.

Dave, there's nothing better for me than when people teach. Thank you for that. I'll examine the TWI and look for the bars/dots.

TWI bars = tire wear indicators?

(bad joke follows:)
TMI bars = lounges where people drink too much and tell me too much information about their lives.
Yes, TMI is tire wear indicator. On Michelins of late the TWIs are found near the little Michelin man, Bibendum, who is found in 5 or 6 locations around the edge of the tread. Find Bibendum and the TWIs are adjacent.

One caution of relying on wear bars. Motorcycle tires wear out in the middle. Many tires do not have the wear bar in the middle. I have. Seen many tires with cords showing but wear bar indicating life left in tire. If the tread is disappearing at the center consider replacement.

I think I've found the wear bars in some of the treads. Should really measure the tread depth now while they're still new.

Tread minimums are on the swing arm, 2mm front and I believe 6mm rear.
As to the original question, all of the above could be true. Also if your tires see squared off, when you hit that corner it forms you definitely feel it.

Just to let everyone know, for the tread depth for the front/rear, the manual specifies 0.06 inches(1.5mm) / 0.08 inches(2.0mm).

I think I've found the wear bars in some of the treads. Should really measure the tread depth now while they're still new.
A gauge like this is what I use to keep track of tread wear. Measure them new and every so often. As fuzzy pointed out the TWIs aren't always in the center of the tire so some interpolation is necessary for wear in the exact center.

No, really this is what I use. It's calibrated in mm and 32":

MP3 is a file format isn't it?

Correct! I already have MP3 and MP4... hopefully someone will give me my MP5 for birthday:
20110415161737-5356dd3b.png

;)

MP5s are quite entertaining, but much more expensive than 3 or 4s to play...

OT: the Metzlers lack a tread wear indicators close enough to the center to be useful, IMO.
I will also likely switch to PR3s when the Z8s wear out. I don't see enough "off-road" use to justify any of the more DS-oriented tires. Road tires work just fine for the fire roads and back trails I see.

Back