• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

is WD40 good for cleaning forks and rear shock?

W

wildeone

since I ride off-road often and whole bike is covered in mud etc I wonder
if after washing with water it's ok to spray with DW40 rear and front suspension?
no problem with forks seals?
thanks

Here are two links which may or may not solve your problem.......

When Should I Not Use WD-40?

WD-40 Facts - Read WD-40 Myths, Legends and More!

Life Hacker suggests that WD 40 is hygroscopic but the manufacturer of course does not agree. I suppose if it is only going to be on your bike for a short period before being washed off again, it can't do any harm. Perhaps those qualified (chemists) among us might enlighten you further.

interesting because many members here use WD40 for cleaning and oiling bike chain with success and on that site it says: "WD-40 can wash dirt into a bike chain, ruining the chain and taking out the gears along with it. Stay away, cyclists."

on the other site:
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
Fact: While WD-40® Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40®

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use it for lubrication for the simple reason the stuff is about 70-80% naphtha, which just evaporates into thin air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting because many members here use WD40 for cleaning and oiling bike chain with success and on that site it says: "WD-40 can wash dirt into a bike chain, ruining the chain and taking out the gears along with it. Stay away, cyclists."

on the other site:
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
Fact: While WD-40® Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40®

The first site is a blog. If it's on the internet it has to be true, unless a blogger named Lifehacker says so. The second site refers to bicycle chains which are not sealed O ring chains.

I had heard mention of the Hygroscopic thing before though and I am aware that some lubes can be hygroscopic. Some of the greases applied to our bikes can be so. I remember taking a suspension linkage apart on a bike once and the grease was white from water ingress.

I think WD 40 is ok for cleaning as suggested but is not a proper lubricant as such. The one place I always keep it away from is the seals on Brake calipers. The damper rod and lower spring area on the rear shock on my NC frequently get oil spray off the chain. Honda will be aware of this and if they are ok with oil, then WD40 can hardly do any harm.

With regard to forks, I used a silicone spray on my FJS600 seals for 55,000 miles in an effort to combat road salt and other crud. The original seals were still in it when I sold it. Just my experience for what it is worth.

It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40® [/B]

I'm not a chemist so take this for what it is worth but we are forbidden to use WD-40 at Caterpillar to lubricate moving parts because it attracks dust/dirt. We are required ot use dry lubricants. I find that quote questionable.

WD-40 hasn't done any harm, not that I'm aware of, to my bikes over the years. Since becoming aware of ACF-50 a few years ago I use less of it for corrosion protection, but more for cleaning. Even used it for chain cleaning and lube.

One particular use is applying a WD-40 dampened cloth to the wheel rims after they're cleaned - makes the next clean much easier, particularly the rear wheel chain side, as any flung off chain lube can't adhere so easily.

It's good stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Any penetrating oil , imo , is considered caustic. I've always used a silicon based product as Hondafan suggested. After cleaning the bike , witch rarely occurs , I will apply silicon to all accessible bearing seals and fork seals just to help keep them tender increasing longevity.

Any penetrating oil , imo , is considered caustic. I've always used a silicon based product as Hondafan suggested. After cleaning the bike , witch rarely occurs , I will apply silicon to all accessible bearing seals and fork seals just to help keep them tender increasing longevity.

I have tried silicon oil on forks and guess what, I had to remove it with WD40 because it stuck into forks badly...

Back