• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lack of 1st gear selection

Solent biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.
I have just replaced my chain and sprockets after 26k miles and now for some reason i can't select 1st gear. Everything was tickety boo before so what the hell have i done and more appropriately how do i get over it. Other gears seem fine.

I know this is obvious but I have to ask if you put things back together in such a way as to hinder the motion of the shift lever?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shift lever actuator is possibly upside down, or the linkage is misadjusted.

Post a photo of your shifter linkage, including the piece installed on the shifter shaft. It might help us help you, otherwise we're sitting around just guessing.

Here are photos of my NC700X with stock foot pegs. Note that Honda provides a punch mark for the normal settimg of the shift shaft arm.

To each their own, but with what appears to be stock footpegs, your shift lefter is set extremely low, and it appears the shifter arm is not installed at the Honda punch mark. I can only guess the inability to shift into first is a result of having the shift lever set at such a low level/angle. Perhaps, if you need it that low, you could experiment with different splines on the shift shaft along with different lengths of the linkage rod.

Can you even get your boot toe under the lever the way it is?

100_1202.jpg100_1201.jpg

Because the shifter is so set so low the bell crank action of pressing the toe lever down which pulls the clevis rod does not turn the shifter shaft very far thus it's hard to find 1st. When the toe lever is pulled up to shift to 2nd thru 6th the bell crank is pushing the clevis and gets more travel thus these gears engage easier. A bell crank needs a 90 degree angle to push the same amount it pulls.

I'd advise setting the pivot arm (bellcrank) back to the Honda punch mark and instead adjusting the linkage shaft length to get the desired pedal height.

I can see where you're coming from. The setting i have here is how it feels best for my style/positioning. i think i only moved it round 1 notch on the spline but that was well over a year ago.
I shall move it back to the factory settings to see if it makes a difference.
Thank you

I can see where you're coming from. The setting i have here is how it feels best for my style/positioning. i think i only moved it round 1 notch on the spline but that was well over a year ago.
I shall move it back to the factory settings to see if it makes a difference.
Thank you
It's not the spot that is connected by the notch but the adjustable rod that people are commenting on look at the differences in the pictures
862081054144020308e9d90087268284.jpg
37e70c0129e624dfbabd085493829030.jpg

Last edited:
When I added my 1" lowering pegs, I dropped the shifter to match the pegs. You can't go too low as the back of the shift arm will hit the bottom of the peg mount making it impossible to get into first gear. Bring that shifter up some and you will be fine.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all peeps. All sorted. It took all of sixty seconds to fix. I can't believe the geometry of such a small adjustment can make all the difference.

You've saved me a few bob by not going to the local bike mechanics so the next time i see you all i'll treat you to a beer or a coffee in way of thanks. Cheers boys

Back