• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LEDglow UNDERBODY & UNDERTANK LIGHTING ?!? LED HELMET LIGHTING ?!?! LEGAL?!?

WOULD YOU LIKE UNDERBODY / UNDERTANK / HELMET LIGHTING WHILE RIDING ?!?!

• YES !!!!

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • NO !!!

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters
If you look at normal lights and lighting, you will generally find a DOT or SAE mark on the light itself or the lens covering the light.

Look at it this way, if the motorcycle manufacturers had approved lighting that made their bikes look cool, don't you think they would be selling them as an option? You might find these kind of lights at a dealership, but I doubt you will find any manufactured by Mother Honda.

I don't know... THere are DOT marks all over my ambulance lights, but it does not mean I can put the lights on my bike... that's not specific enough

And there are tons of legal aftermarket accessories that are not offered by bike manufacturers....

I have blue underwater lights on my boat.
Ken
I'll take that into consideration next time I want to take the NC for a sail around LA Harbor....lol
j/k

I did see one motorcycle on hiway 80 that had some led underbody lights. Also, how about those glow in the dark stripes on the wheel rim ???

Ken

I like the lighted wheel rim stripes !! I pictured them above.... I don't see why any of this would be illegal, except for the emergency vehicle colors...

It can't be red or blue anywhere... So, you are saying the lighting is legal in Ohio?

On a global forum "anywhere" is perhaps an unintentionally overly broad statement. No emergency services use blue in Japan so we are only prohibited red revolving (and presumably flashing) lights, red being the only color used by police, fire, and ambulance service vehicles.

I've seen a few bikes here with underbody lights, and the impression I get of the owners is the same I would have of the owners of the bikes in your attached photos: ignorant and low-rent.

What's next? Remote controlled bouncy suspension to make the bike hop up and down at red lights?

I've seen a few bikes here with underbody lights, and the impression I get of the owners is the same I would have of the owners of the bikes in your attached photos: ignorant and low-rent.

Easy there big fella.. Sounds like you have some personal issues to deal with... they are just lights...lol

Maybe you should ask yourself why lights make you so angry? ....lol

Were you beaten with a neon light as a child? ...lol j/k

Ok. I meant anywhere in the US... i sometimes lose sight of the fact it's a global forum... my bad. don't chop my head off... and aparently, according to you, red is illegal... even as far away as Japan..

I like the lights... maybe not as flamboyant as some of the attached photos, but either way...

I completely disagree with your ignorant and low-rent statement. I can accurately state that you have no idea who I am, nor do you know most other riders that you see with lights.... maybe you should think about that before you point the finger at someone else's perceived ignorance...

Last edited:
Easy there big fella.. Sounds like you have some personal issues to deal with... they are just lights...lol

Maybe you should ask yourself why lights make you so angry? ....lol

Ok. I meant anywhere in the US... i sometimes lose sight of the fact it's a global forum... my bad. don't chop my head off...

I like the lights... maybe not as flamboyant as some of the attached photos, but either way... I completely disagree with your ignorant and low-rent statement. You have no idea who I am, nor do you know most other riders that you see with lights.... maybe you should think about that before you point the finger at someone else's perceived ignorance...

Why does everyone these days attribute statements they disagree with to anger? I'm not angry. I don't have issues. I didn't say the people with the lights are ignorant and low-rent. I said that is the impression they give.

What are you so angry about?

I think it's legal to have the lights, just can't have them on while you ride. When you're stopped, no worries. I can't recall ever seeing anybody rolling with those lights on. But at a show or something while not in motion they have them on.

Calling someone ignorant is far different than disagreeing with their opinion. I am not here to argue, youre statements and opinions are dully noted. THanks

My statements and opinions are quite often dully noted, more's the pity.

I didn't call anybody ignorant. I said they give the impression of being ignorant. I regret you can't tell the difference. (May be the result of only dully noting what is said instead of reading carefully).

Last edited:
If you want the extra cosmetic lighting I would recommend the Kuryakyan Lizard Lights.

Easy to install, completely sealed, and no water problems. Also, you can change the colors on the fly.

View attachment 5152

See video: Road King Video Bike Map: Accent Lighting - YouTube

I like it !!!

I think it's legal to have the lights, just can't have them on while you ride. When you're stopped, no worries. I can't recall ever seeing anybody rolling with those lights on. But at a show or something while not in motion they have them on.

Thanks... Ya, that is what I thought... but i have seen A LOT rolling on the street... That's why I was inquiring if people had experience with this.... I need to talk to a cop...

My statements and opinions are quite often dully noted, more's the pity.

I didn't call anybody ignorant. I said they give the impression of being ignorant. I regret you can't tell the difference. (May be the result of only dully noting what is said instead of reading carefully).

heehee such a sh*t disturber y'all be :eek: :D

Peeps do seem to be pretty easily ruffled over the 'net without the benefit of those social identifiers and clues that come with a twinkle in the eye, a grin, tone and inflection etc., in person.

Last edited:
When someone takes what you think is a virtual swipe at you, you can choose to let the opportunity to strike back pass quietly away.

Before "giving it back to them" you might consider that it is impossible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Lee

I think that you're simply not going to find a code section in the USA that says 'those LED underbody glow light thingies ARE legal.' At least part of the reason is that, despite SO many people's and governments' efforts to the contrary, the basic premise in this country remains that things are legal until/unless they're made illegal. Very obviously that's an overly broad exaggeration to make a point, but hopefully you see the point. ;)

P.S. If you want a reply from the state that might potentially have any particular meaning, you'll want to _write_ to the state, so that they'll _write_ you back. ;)

I know that CA, and especially Los Angeles, are waaaay more strict. You cannot have any blue or red lights on any vehicle. Besides the brakelight, of course

The People's Republic of Californistan more strict?
I'm shocked.
Whatever isn't forbidden is obligatory.

The People's Republic of Californistan more strict?
I'm shocked.
Whatever isn't forbidden is obligatory.

I meant more strict in the traffic and safety laws of the roadways... traffic is insanely congested in LA/Hollywood. Cops are more likelty to stop you more for vehicle code infractions than most anything else.... That's how they get an pass to stop and investigate further... ANd I know that they allow NO lights that are red/blue/amber unless it is your turn signal or your brake light. As opposed to other states that allow you to have a red or blue light as long as they are not combined.

Back