• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Locking up the NC700X - Do you?

So none of you use any kind of lock? I was hoping to find out what people lock their motorcycles to.

You could chain it to a pit bull with AIDS. Seriously, I don't often find something close and substantial enough to justify carrying a chain, so I usually just carry a disc lock and an E-Z Touring Traveller B cover. Covers help - some fancy ones have alarms. Do you have a pet snake you could leave coiled up on the seat? City boys are generally scared of snakes. My son once threw a good sized snake into the middle of a squad of Army Rangers taking a break and yelled "Death from above!" just as it landed amongst them. They spread in all directions like the devil was after them. Of course they ran him down later and gave him a pop knot for it.

E-Z Touring Motorcycle Covers | Traveller half cover

Any place gnarlier than a cover and a disc lock is not a place I want to either ride to or live.

Off topic, but here he is with a copperhead he found...

PICT0006 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I lock mine up at home.just for my peace.i use a bicycle cable.put it around rear tire and weave it through rim and swingarm.it makes me feel better.plus i cover it when i leave it out for awhile.

Before we had security cameras at the place where I work, a friend had his Harley stolen. Believe me the NC is a featherweight compared to a Harley.

I thought about getting one of these, Amazon.com: Xena XX6-SS Motorcycle Disc Brake Lock - Alarm Locks: Automotive
but fear I would be too lazy to put it on. May get one anyway.
I may just do something like this though.

Motorcycle Alarm - webBikeWorld

1. Good thing you didn't;t buy it, cause the the xena SUCKs !! I had it. a. It rusted and spread the rust all over my disc. b. It would go off for no reason which was very annoying. c. The key gets stuck when you're trying to unlock it. You end up setting the alarm off, and looking like an idiot scrambling to get it open while simultaneously going deaf...lol

2. That alarm you mentioned is really expensive.. For me, the $500 deductible on my insurance is cheaper to use to replace the whole bike...

3. I agree with the Philip that the locator functions for iphones and icloud are far cheaper and just as effective as a lo-jack. On top of that, add your $100 2 way paging alarm ( with engine disabling ) + lock the steering wheel = pretty safe.

4. Nothing can stop someone that really wants it. Thats why we have insurance. $500 deductible = new bike

5. And that kryptonite chain is a joke... No offense, but I could snip through that thing in a second with bolt cutters.

6. As for what to chain to, It's much more laid back, but In hawaii, we can lock up to same bike racks as the bicycles. or street poles/street signs and fences. I don't do that in Cali though...

7. This keeps people away from my bike. Let's others know that someone is near my bike.
Pages me to tell me someone is either standing to close or touching my bike.
Does not let the bike start unless I disarm it.
Can kill the engine if someone tries to take it while it's running.
And most importantly REALLY Impresses girls with the auto-start function...lol
:cool:

[video=youtube_share;fmz6crFBmtA]http://youtu.be/fmz6crFBmtA[/video]

Last edited:
I haven't alarmed or locked a bike in over 20 years. I've been lucky enough to work in places where only badged personnel were allowed on site, I've had a garage to park the bike in at home, and in other places I guess I've just rolled the dice. Closest I've ever come to active theft protection was to park beside something a lot more expensive and flashy whenever possible. At any rate I've never had a bike stolen, but when I was stationed in California (Air Force) back in the 70s I had someone try to steal my GS750 out of a locked garage at my apartment. They didn't succeed. I guess I've just been lucky.

Bob

I tend to own bikes that thieves ignore. What that says about my taste in bikes is debatable but I have no worries about losing them.

P1050898.jpgP1050887.jpgP1050876.jpgP1050889.jpgP1050878.jpg

Had my NC700X for a week now and thought I would invest in some new security items. In Central London we are lucky enough to have dedicated motorcycle street parking with these rails to chain your bike to, although as you can see from the pictures, few bikers do chain their bikes up or use a disk lock. I bought from Amazon 2 of the MAMMOTH THATCHAM SQUARE CHAIN 12MM X 1.8M WITH SHACKLE LOCK at £50 each and since they are so heavy just leave one at home and the other on the street parking rail at all times ready for my use. There is an NC700S that parks close to me and he has no security features I can see. I thought about an alarm but my last bike [CB500] had one and it was a headache so the dealer fitted a tracker to my NC700x for £150 and a life time subscription of £399. I use the bike 5 days a week for commuting and when I park it up I often don't see it again for 8 hours so figure best to lock it as best I can to the decent street furniture provided. I guess central London is motorbike friendly and its free and I am exempt from the £10 per day congestion charge cars pay to drive in central London so hopefully my NC700x and me will be together for many years.

I couldn't find my keys at lunch. So after much searching of pockets and drawers, I found my keys in the ignition. Lucky my office has dedicated parking in a low crime area but geez louise that was stupid.....

I couldn't find my keys at lunch. So after much searching of pockets and drawers, I found my keys in the ignition. Lucky my office has dedicated parking in a low crime area but geez louise that was stupid.....

Aye, know the feeling of the cold sweat creeping on the back of your neck when you realize it was left in ignition. Happened to me couple of times so far but luckily as you, my office has a dedicated parking and .... this is Switzerland :)

Aye, know the feeling of the cold sweat creeping on the back of your neck when you realize it was left in ignition. Happened to me couple of times so far but luckily as you, my office has a dedicated parking and .... this is Switzerland :)

I was forever forgetting my keys in my various bike's ignitions when going out to see movies and so forth, with my girl at the time. :rolleyes: Something about her always made me foggy thinking, lol :eek:

Always came back to find the keys taken out of the ignition and put in a different place. (gas cap lock, helmet lock, hanging off the front brake lever, wedged under the passenger seat grab strap, etc.) It got to the point I would start looking for my keys somewhere strange on or in the bike, before looking in my jacket pockets, lol!

People who walked by and noticed the keys left in the bike, would chastise me by letting me know I shouldn't have forgotten them...oops...

Haven't done that for many years now though, thank heavens.:)

View attachment 4437View attachment 4438View attachment 4439View attachment 4440View attachment 4441

Had my NC700X for a week now and thought I would invest in some new security items. In Central London we are lucky enough to have dedicated motorcycle street parking with these rails to chain your bike to, although as you can see from the pictures, few bikers do chain their bikes up or use a disk lock. I bought from Amazon 2 of the MAMMOTH THATCHAM SQUARE CHAIN 12MM X 1.8M WITH SHACKLE LOCK at £50 each and since they are so heavy just leave one at home and the other on the street parking rail at all times ready for my use. There is an NC700S that parks close to me and he has no security features I can see. I thought about an alarm but my last bike [CB500] had one and it was a headache so the dealer fitted a tracker to my NC700x for £150 and a life time subscription of £399. I use the bike 5 days a week for commuting and when I park it up I often don't see it again for 8 hours so figure best to lock it as best I can to the decent street furniture provided. I guess central London is motorbike friendly and its free and I am exempt from the £10 per day congestion charge cars pay to drive in central London so hopefully my NC700x and me will be together for many years.

Two points you might like to think about
1) By allowing the chain to rest on the floor you are making it much easier for would be thieves to cut through it
2) Thieves often super glue locks & chains left at parking places so that when the owner returns to park their bike they are unable to chain it thereby making it easier to steal.
As I'm typing this I'm looking out the control point window at rows of locked pushbikes so I have experiance of the above being used by thieves

like Rocker just said you must keep the chain high as possible and wrap it round the wheel till there is no slack in the chain.

I was forever forgetting my keys in my various bike's ignitions when going out to see movies and so forth, with my girl at the time. :rolleyes: Something about her always made me foggy thinking, lol :eek:

Always came back to find the keys taken out of the ignition and put in a different place. (gas cap lock, helmet lock, hanging off the front brake lever, wedged under the passenger seat grab strap, etc.) It got to the point I would start looking for my keys somewhere strange on or in the bike, before looking in my jacket pockets, lol!

People who walked by and noticed the keys left in the bike, would chastise me by letting me know I shouldn't have forgotten them...oops...

Haven't done that for many years now though, thank heavens.:)

I would be suspecting those ppl were other bikers helping :)
Either that or I will now start believing in fairies, bikere fairies, flying around on their small cute motorcycles ... :)

Didn't happen to me, but I've seen an indescribable thing when driving through Marseille once.

Similar place to shown above... a special parking place for motorcycles... tens of them in a row... suddenly a gap... missing motorcycle and behind... missing part of rails... cut exactly in the middle! Guess it was easier to cut the rails than a chain. :cool:

Didn't happen to me, but I've seen an indescribable thing when driving through Marseille once.

Similar place to shown above... a special parking place for motorcycles... tens of them in a row... suddenly a gap... missing motorcycle and behind... missing part of rails... cut exactly in the middle! Guess it was easier to cut the rails than a chain. :cool:

:eek:

That's scary yet morbidly funny at the same time...

And with the amount of battery powered tools nowadays, it would take mere seconds to cut through the most indestructible chain ever made, with one of those fibreglass/diamond cut off blades in a little grinder. All the thieves would have to do, is wait for the coast to be clear and maybe muffle the sound a wee bit. :mad:

Back