• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking to buy a 700x from DL650

soderholmd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gang! Nice Forum you have here.....!

I've been riding for 25+ years - (currently 42) and have had a wide variety of bikes.

VFR's / CBR's mostly and now I have a 2005 DL650 with 30k+ miles on it.

I've raced CBR's (600 and 1000's) and hated them all for street riding. I never realized how much until I got the Weestrom. After getting the DL I started commuting daily and ride every day possible on it in Minnesota. It has the right balance of power and economy for me right now. (High 40's - mid 50's mpg). Cruises nicely on the freeway and has a spunky personality.

My commute contains about 20 miles of 75 mph freeway running to work, or a combo of that and 2 lane backroad depending upon traffic each day.

I'm REALLY interested in the 700x. I've always been a Honda guy at heart and am only concerned with the ability of the 700 in the power department. For those of you that have miles on one.............

1. Does it have a comfortable relaxed cruise at freeway speeds and does it have power to pass at those speeds.
2. Does it feel like a low powered scoot while accelerating with it?

Thats my only 2 big concerns - the rest of it looks pure gravy and seems to fit the profile of what I need really well.

Chime in - I'm looking on trading in the DL possibly on Wednesday........

Any additional info on the bike is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Dave

the NC will out accelerate a CBF600 up to 75mph.
most folks complained of the 'X' seat being slippy and tendency make you slide towards the tank.
than can be easily solved.
I'm sure some one with more experience of these bikes will chip in.

Dave, I think the best way to determine whether or not the bike will be suited to your needs, would be to take a test ride as requirements for riding are purely subjective. I would compare the acceleration of this bike to a subcompact car. Reading your post, it seems like you already have what you need as far as speed and power are concerned. However, in the economy department, the NC is much better. You would probably achieve in the high 50's to low 60's on your commute.

Mike

After 7800 miles this is my experience. It is turning about 4000-4200 rpm if I recall at 70 and has plenty of power left for passing. The feel is relaxed and loping along. No buzz or tingly grips. If it doesn't feel like enough oomph to complete the pass then kick down a gear or two. It does 110 mph and pulls to 100 evenly. Highway and interstate speeds are no problem.

It has turned in sub 14 second and 95 mph 1/4 miles and +/- 5 second 0-60 times in magazine tests. It has about 48 rear wheel hp on dyno tests (6 speed manual). Compared to 65 hp VStroms it is lacking in top end power but it returns other charms. In my garage it replaced a 54 rear wheel hp BMW R100 I rode to 117,000 miles so I am used to short shifting a flat torque curve twin. It accelerates briskly but it is wasted by other 650 middleweights in drag races.

I did a IBA SS1000 mile ride in less than 18 hours last month. Stock seat. I held 75 mph most of the time and this was quite comfortable with a larger aftermarket windscreen and hand guards. I have also ridden a couple of long weekend rides to the mountains 500 miles from my house. These were one day ride there from my home, ride a couple days in NC, TN, GA, then 500 miles home. I installed a Givi 46 liter top box. With the 21 liter not-a-tank storage this is plenty of storage for these trips. I pack light and do not intend to install side bags for the day riding and regional touring I do.

Often it is pointed out the gas tank under the rear seat is/would be/has to be inconvenient but that has not been my experience. Most of the time I have nothing on the seat but for those mountain trips I had my camping gear in a dry bag across the rear seat secured by two Rok Straps. At a gas stop it takes a few seconds to unclip the two buckles and set the bag up on top of the Givi box. After fueling it takes but a second to set the bag back on the seat and clip-clip the buckles on and cinch the straps. It really isn't any more involved than moving a strap-on tank bag that might cover a conventional gas tank. I've got 114,000 miles on my ST1300 and have unstrapped a tank bag a few times. The tank is small but the range is over 200 miles riding sporting.

The not-a-tank storage is a great feature I've really come to like. It's deep and secures a tool kit, tire repair kit and my old Cortech Super Mini tank bag with lots of room left for gloves and sundry items used on these rides. It's like a hard locking huge tankbag.

Great posts! Thanks all -

Especially dduelin! Very complete.........

Looks like I may have my V-Strom replacement.

What brand of windshield did you have? I have an MRA vario on my strom and would probably get that for the NC.

Great posts! Thanks all -

Especially dduelin! Very complete.........

Looks like I may have my V-Strom replacement.

What brand of windshield did you have? I have an MRA vario on my strom and would probably get that for the NC.
I had good results with a National Cycle Wind Deflector DX on my R100 so I tried that one first and found it works OK for me. I am of average torso length and 5'6" tall.

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

I've changed from an 08 DL650 to an NC700S, but have ridden the X model a couple of times. This was a very easy decision for me, since most of my riding involves commuting at lower speeds generally below 70mph where the NC really excels. Better brakes and handling combined with a much better gearbox make this a great bike for this job. The NC is also far smoother than DL650, which feels harsh in comparison. Build quality is good too, certainly a match for the V-strom.

The Suzuki however does have the edge on the comfort, a better stock seat and was happier over longer distances. Clearly the Suzuki is faster and has much better pickup at highway speeds - if you nailed the two bikes at 70mph the Suzuki would disappear into the distance. The NC isn't "slow" and is quite happy up to 85mph, but is harder work after that. It will easily stay with highway traffic and overtake when needed, but not quite quickly as the V-strom (it has 15-20bhp less after all). Around town There's less of a difference and the NC would probably keep up with Suzuki - it's easier to ride which makes up for the reduced power.

Fuel consumption is a lot better too - I was getting 55mpg (imperial) on the V-strom, I now get 75mpg on the NC.

For me at least the NC is much better bike, but if speed or long distance comfort is really important then the choice between the two would be a lot tougher.

I had good results with a National Cycle Wind Deflector DX on my R100 so I tried that one first and found it works OK for me. I am of average torso length and 5'6" tall.

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

I like that screen however I don't think we get them in the UK or though i could be wrong. Anyway the Honda touring screen is working for me

Back