• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lowside in the morning...

Glad you're okay. Got wide in a turn coming up the other side of the mountain a while back, hit the gravel near the edge and slid the bike into the ditch. Know that WTF?! hand slap as you're sitting on the pavement looking at the bike just down the road. Got up, looked around - like you did -some bumps, bruises, scrapes - but intact - picked it up, it started, rode it home. Always wear the safety gear - it just works.

I'm glad you're OK. We can replace the bike... can't replace you.

(Still, groaned out loud seeing the crash and thinking just how long it would take to fix it all.)

Made the mistake of watching this video with my wife behind me. Just returned from the store with a whole new set of BiLt riding gear. Thanks for that expense tonight lol.

Damn, glad you are alright. The way your bike kicked out like that, is a lot like what mine did during a light rain storm. Scary accurate too, except I was fortunate enough mine didn't lay down.

Thanks for the chilling reminder.

I wish there is a "dislike" button for this thread. It sucks to see you go down like that. I went back and watched the video a few times (good quality, BTW), trying to see what had caused the lowside. At the 0:01 mark, I see a little dark spot just in front of your headlight. It's to the right of the white X. Is that a oil drip or just a water paddle? It appeared that your rear tire might have ran right over that dark spot.

Right before you go down, it also appeared that you tried to get back to the right lane (you mentioned you took the turn too wide). You did lean the bike over pretty far but your body was all crossed up, as if you were on a dirt bike. Your body position would have required you to have more lean on the bike. Cold tire, wet spot (water or oil), body position/too much lean on bike, and a bit of throttle (can't tell just how much) might have ate up all your available traction and caused the low side.

Echoing everyone here, really glad you came out ok. Taking notes from your accident and everyone's comments. Safety is a nonnegotiable thing. Please keep it safe while enjoying it!

Sent from my X508 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you all for the comments.

I was skeptical to post this video at first, but as I have read in many threads, this community looks out for each other and the well-wishes as well as commentary to what could have happened and how to correct have been nothing but positive.

The guys at work surprised me this morning and created a ring tone for my phone of the slide and my reaction.

Thanks again.

Thank you all for the comments.

I was skeptical to post this video at first, but as I have read in many threads, this community looks out for each other and the well-wishes as well as commentary to what could have happened and how to correct have been nothing but positive.

The guys at work surprised me this morning and created a ring tone for my phone of the slide and my reaction.

Thanks again.

I thank you for posting it since it is a learning tool and I need all the education I can get. That black spot that Duc mentioned is worth checking out since I assume this area is near your home. When I pull out from an intersection from a stop I try to wait until I am upright before ramping up the throttle. There is just too much garbage on the street to take a chance. I realize though that you were pulling onto a 45mph roadway and you had a car coming up in your lane which might have caused you to roll on a little more quickly than you normally would. I am only going by what I hear and see on the video and only you know if those factors actually affected you.

Glad you're okay and thanks again for the opportunity to learn.

Glad it you could walk (and then ride) away from it. Watched it over and over looking for what went wrong, and I see nothing (which kinda scares me cause I have a corner very similar to that I go around every day).

I have a good-as-new take-off handlebar and lever if you need it. Just PM me your address.

I was once as a bar on the patio talking to some co-workers about cars. At the time we all owned VWs... one of the guys mentioned he needed a new coil pack. A different guy there said "Oh really? I have one you can have!" and then pulled a new coil pack, still in the box out of his pocket. I have a feeling that you Beemerphile are that guy who just happens to have a spare handlebar and brake lever in his pocket at the bar, just incase someone needs it.

Thanks. It is a Drift HD170. Ironically, I just did a camera mount video the day before.

LoL, reminds me my first ever video with GoPro (luckilly with bicycle not moto)... mounted on the helmet (second one from my friend on the fork)... and... BOOM! Both cameras and the bike prooved to be more solid than me (marks till this day). :cool:

Like many above mentioned... bike has parts that can br replaced... cheaper than your parts! :p

Glad you're OK.

Hey there,

Thank you for posting this video, it is a good learning experience for all of us (wearing safety gear) , it takes guts to post situations like this especially when they happen to us. I am glad you are OK.

Safe riding and keep up the good spirit!

TOny

Glad to know that you are okay. I couldn't see anything on the road but I bet it was the cold tires if you had just started up. I can tell that my tires can wobble if they are cold. I lean a bunch when first starting out in the morning to distribute the tires evenly.

I watched that 3 times.don't know what happened other then the gravity thing.glad you ok.

I had a identical spill on my NC700X. I was making a slow speed turn from a stop just like in the video. Next thing I know I was going down and I couldn't stop it. I've been riding forever and haven't been down in decades. This video capture has me kinda wondering that you can get this bike, basically making a slow 90deg turn is such a way that your going down. I could feel it start going over and I jammed my right foot down on the ground and tried to turn the bars, not a chance of saving it. Fortunately I also walked away, but man I couldn't believe watching that video that wasn't taken of me!

I read in a bike magazine about the gravity spills they called it.no ryme or reason why but sometimes people on mc just fall over.a guy on a goldwing turning at 10mph nothing in road just went over.i think they called it a gravity pull .i will have to look for it.it was interesting.

Had a fun start to my day...

[video=youtube_share;mu9Go-B1lcQ]http://youtu.be/mu9Go-B1lcQ[/video]

I am okay. My hand seems to be only issue right now. Just a little scratched up.

View attachment 7395View attachment 7396

I think overall the bike is okay, there is some cosmetic damage and the brake lever almost ground itself off. I think the handlebar might be bent as well. Going to have dealer pick it up tomorrow and give everything a good once over.

It was a chillier morning than the past few days and I took the turn wider than normal and was trying to get myself back into the other lane quicker than I should have for the conditions. Lesson learned.

As having the identical crash as you, I'm having trouble with the weather as the culprit, it was 85 Deg F for me with hot tires. I believe you can get this bike in just a way with lean angle, weight distribution, speed and handlebar position that your going down. You got it on video, I can attest .

Last edited:
Glad to know that you are okay. I couldn't see anything on the road but I bet it was the cold tires if you had just started up. I can tell that my tires can wobble if they are cold. I lean a bunch when first starting out in the morning to distribute the tires evenly.

I get this wobble too on the 023 Bridgestone tires. Weaving back in forth in the lane when I start my day, to warm them up has become my norm.

welcome to the club brother MindlessMuse :)
i fell on NC standing up,doing nothing. once upon a time i was slowly pulling bike from the garage at 6 am in the morning. i'm moving backwards and slipped on one side and just fell straight down with the bike. the bike fell on my leg and i can't even get out. remember that harley in desert scene in modern family? same thing. :) finally able to pull my leg out and raise the bike. no scratches on me,small scratch on the side of the bike. i was done with riding on that day :)

btw-i'm also from bucks county. something is not right here :) why we are keep falling in philly burbs? :)

Last edited:
Back