• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Owners -- What Are Your Specs?

treybrad

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought this would be a good idea for a thread, but that might be because I tend to be a little OCD if given the opportunity :p

I just got my Madstad installed this weekend, and I've been playing with it, trying to find my 'happy place'. So, I thought it'd be helpful if everyone could post what settings they've been happiest with. There seem to be two major components to this -- angle, and height.

First, angle. I downloaded a free app for my phone that measures angle, so that's pretty easy.

Untitled by treybrad, on Flickr

As you can see, I've got mine raked back a bit more than Madstad's recommendation at ~50°. At 60° as recommended, I tend to get some buffeting at speed -- but like I said, I just got it, and it's been so windy here it's hard to tell what's working so far :confused:

Next thing to measure is height. The most consistent way I could think of would be to measure the amount of height by the gap in the brackets here:

11809238593_4d5eaf4648_o by treybrad, on Flickr

0 would be all the way down. I used calipers to measure:

Just shy of 1.8".

The fact that different size screens are available complicates things... I just thought of that. I think most are getting the 20" but... I'm all ears if someone can come up with a better, consistent way to measure the height.

The other important thing, as with all windshields, is rider size/height. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam.

So, just a quick and simple data point is all that's needed. Like so....

treybrad
5'11", 32" inseam
20" Sport SD
50°
1.8"

(I'll come back and revise mine as I narrow in on my favorite setting)

I know, helmet choice, other aero mods like hand guards, risers, seats, etc, etc will have an impact, but those should be secondary to the main things listed above.

Thought it would be helpful data, especially for those who just purchased one -- I bet we narrow in on a pattern that seems to work for this bike.

trey

Last edited:
Mine seems about the same no matter where I put it. Mine spends most of the time all the way down, about mid angle. I just look over the top. Ambient wind speed and directions plays a bigger role than the windshield setting, at least for me.

I'm 5' 8". The windshield is an 18 incher, but it's mounted 1.5 inches lower than Madstadd's standard mounting location.

Winter time I have mine all the way forward. When its hot, I drop it down some. I got the 22'' screen and can see over the top in any position.

Back