• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Making progress on the repaint

Nice job, that's a cool looking colour. What sort of primer did you use, and how long did you let it sit before you sprayed the orange? I ran into some smearing issues after sanding when I did my frunk accents and had to re-blast it with some high-build stuff.

Nice job, that's a cool looking colour. What sort of primer did you use, and how long did you let it sit before you sprayed the orange? I ran into some smearing issues after sanding when I did my frunk accents and had to re-blast it with some high-build stuff.

I used the sandable primer supplied by automotivetouchup.com. The time it sat could have varied from an hour to days. I never really had any primer troubles.

The lacquer, on the other hand, is finicky about timing. You've probably seen paint cans that say "recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours". While the cans I used did not say that, it very definitely holds true. Color coats are ten minutes apart, then wait 30 minutes, then clear coats 10 or 15 minutes apart. If I paused in the recoat process for more than an hour, due to the need to correct a flaw or to sand, I would wait a week before I'd continue, or the paint will crack all the way down through the color coat. I found this out the hard way on a couple pieces. Live and learn, eh?

If things go well it's bam, bam, bam: five or six light color coats and maybe three clear coats all done within 2 hours. The times are a little long due to cool temperatures. I use a tack rag lightly between coats, but dust control is the biggest headache without having a spray booth.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info. I've got a blemish on one of my pieces I need to touch up before I start riding again. Just as I put my final coat of clear on a bit of junk landed in the clear. Rather then waiting for it to dry, I tried to get it out right away. It got made worse really quick, and I ended up with half a fingerprint in my paint.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've got a blemish on one of my pieces I need to touch up before I start riding again. Just as I put my final coat of clear on a bit of junk landed in the clear. Rather then waiting for it to dry, I tried to get it out right away. It got made worse really quick, and I ended up with half a fingerprint in my paint.

Yep. I hear ya.

The number one thing I learned (by way of making mistakes) from this painting process is don't get in a hurry, and to never do anything without thinking it through. Any thoughts like "I'll just fix that real quick" usually ends in disaster and starting all over again.

a really nice-looking color, indeed i have imagined this color as one of my choices in repainting mine~
and thanks for your sharing of experience as well, especially on the painting process in #42.

by the way, did you encounter any difficulties in removing various parts for the paint job? this is the major reason that holds me back as i don't really want to crack any of them.

a really nice-looking color, indeed i have imagined this color as one of my choices in repainting mine~
and thanks for your sharing of experience as well, especially on the painting process in #42.

by the way, did you encounter any difficulties in removing various parts for the paint job? this is the major reason that holds me back as i don't really want to crack any of them.

It is best to have the Honda service manual for removal of the plastic parts. If you know where the clips and fasteners are hidden, it's not too bad. If you just go blindly you will probably get frustrated or break something. Counting the front fender and lower cowl (3 parts), there are 13 plastic pieces to paint. Separating the side cowl parts brings the total to 15 parts to remove/disassemble. You need to put the fasteners for each part in plastic bags with notes included or you will likely not get it reassembled correctly.

It's very doable if you take your time and take notes.

Ha! Just found this thread. Good job. I paint for a living and know it is hard for someone that doesn't to get it right the first time.
I've found that many imperfections can be buffed out to point they're not noticeable. I've had bugs, hair, dirt and who knows what in the clear. Color sand and buff and they all but disappear!

I have a few more pieces to paint and install, but here's the results so far on the Sunburst Orange paint job. It's been a bad winter for riding, so there's been plenty of time to mod the bike.

All of the gloss grey pieces went to orange. The lower cowl center piece switched from the doesn't-match-anything grey to textured black, while the side lower cowl pieces went from flat/satin black to gloss orange. I also painted the Fenda Extenda and the rear hugger with the same textured Rustoleum black for a matched look. Yet to paint are the side bag lids, the tail piece center cowl, and a trim piece for the top box.

The pictures do lie a little. In anything less than bright sun the color is definitely a little darker than what it appears. I would have preferred a brighter orange, but didn't want to create mis-identity by infringing on the Harley orange-black territory. Something had to be done, as I began to detest the stock grey color. My first choice would have been yellow, but i already have two other yellow bikes in the fleet.

The paint came mostly from automotivetouchup.com The clear is SprayMax 2K two part urethane - nasty stuff that requires a respirator. In fact it's all nasty and requires a respirator. It's not all smooth sailing fun work (lots of screwups), but rewarding when it's complete to your satisfaction.

View attachment 11172View attachment 11173View attachment 11174View attachment 11175

Looks like a fine job! Cool color, too.

looks great! Is your garage heated? What was the avg temp in you garage when you were doing the painting?

looks great! Is your garage heated? What was the avg temp in you garage when you were doing the painting?

My garage is heated. It was past winter so I don't recall exactly, but I think I kept it 55-60* F wile painting. I don't doubt that was lower than it should have been. I kept the paint cans warm in the house until ready to use.

Last edited:
Back