• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Moto-Mule Trailer, err RV, err Trailer!

this is awesome!!
Thanks, you're preaching to the choir!

Here are a few updates to my project. As you have seen in my posts, to create my Moto-Mule RV configuration, I add a couple pieces of plywood to extend the platform length of the trailer box.

I am currently thinking about a way to make it quicker to deploy. I would like to replicate the old style folding lounge, ends folding over onto the middle section. I would attach the head end and leg end to the trailer frame where both would fold over onto the pelican case's top for travel. When stopped for some rest, I could simply unfold both ends and I would then use the pop-up frame of a tent, (Amazon.com : TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Quick Tent; 1 Man Pop Up Tent; Less than 1 Min Set Up; Free Rainfly Included : Family Tents : Sports & Outdoors) (YouTube), attaching it at the corners of those deployed ends, and use a matching Nelson-Rigg Defender 2000 Motorcycle Cover to sleep under. I'm hoping for a 5 minute setup.

Setting up a cot/tent is pretty easy on the ground, but my 'RV' configuration is to be deployed and used in Rest Areas without being hassled for camping. So far I have been able stealth camp this setup on trips back and forth across the country, even when a security person watched and talked to me during setup (he said I was a pop-up camper and not a problem).

I am also thinking about the feasibility of mounting my panniers to the sides of the Moto-Mule trailer. I don't like leaving my Touratec Pro2 45L cases ($$$) laying unsecured in camp when I'm out on a day ride. I'm hoping that welding a couple lengths of correct diameter tubing stock to the sides of the trailer frame could duplicate my rack's mounting spacing, allowing me to lock them on. That setup would only be used when the trailer is detached and stationary, never on the road.

Ray

Last edited:
I have some updates to add to this thread.

My folding platform and Teton tent is working great together.

Packed and ready to ride off the the next destination.

IMG_4055.jpg

Trailer stands down and ready to deploy the RV conversion in a rest stop.

IMG_4087.jpg

RV conversion deployed and ready to commence some serious snoring.

IMG_4091.jpg

Packing time.

IMG_4096.jpg

Now the RV conversion works well even when the Moto-Mule is unhitched and standing alone.

image1.JPG

Ray

Attachments

• IMG_4090.jpg
    IMG_4090.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 458
My latest custom improvement to my 'Mule.

I was thinking about the feasibility of mounting my panniers to the sides of the Moto-Mule trailer. I don't like leaving my Touratec Pro2 45L cases ($$$) laying unsecured in camp when I'm out on a day ride. I explained to Mike my concept of welding a duplicate pannier rack to the sides of the trailer frame, allowing me to lock them on. That setup would only be used when the trailer is detached and stationary, never on the road. Mike again agreed to turn my concept into reality.

Off to see Mike at Moto-Mule headquarters.

IMG_4254.jpg

Mike doing his magic, quality fabrication and welding.

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

Now my panniers can be locked to the Moto-Mule when I leave camp for a ride.

IMG_4287.jpg

I am one happy camper thanks to Mike at Moto-Mule!

Ray

Last edited:
Just curious why you wouldn't ride with them on the trailer? Simply because of weight?
Single wheel trailers with stirrup hitches lean the same as the bike while turning,

(Moto-Mule trailer! Dual Sport Motorcycle Riding Through The Oregon Cascades - YouTube)

compared to two-wheel ball-hitched trailers that ride flat like a cager does.

IMG_4612.JPG

The width with the panniers attached is too wide for clearing the ground while leaning thru any amount of turning.

As I recall, Mike (Moto-mule.com) did have a Moto-Mule trailer version designed for panniers while traveling.

(Timeline Photos)

image1.jpg

I could see one of those hitched to a new X-Adv for weekend trips maybe...

(2017 Honda X-ADV News)

Ray

Last edited:
OK, I’ve taken a long hiatus from our forum here, I’ve been distracted by my conversion to 4x4 RV’s. I’ve got two now and am doing lots of dispersed camping.

My Coachmen Vans 5.4L Gas Class-B 4x4 conversion.

FA1E2F0B-66D7-4CBC-A57F-488F536D36A1.png

My Bigfoot 6L Turbo Diesel Class-C 4x4 conversion.

3B78AEC6-D754-4466-A41F-698B75A9759E.jpeg

Long story short, my NC700/Motomule has been getting dusty in my rented storage room and I need the space for other things now. I am considering thinning the herd by selling my NC700 and Motomule setup as a package deal. If there is much interest at all, I’ll start taking seriously any offers Fair Winds.

Ray

Back