• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle jump starters

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone used one of those motorcycle jump starters on an NC? Recommend a certain brand/model?

something like this?

I'm thinking it might be a handy thing to carry on my 750 DCT seeing as there is no bump starting a DCT bike.

I have https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9siv1x67u00314&bri=9b-0md-00zp-00043 used it a couple of times with no issues. I got it for $50 years ago. I keep it in the Frunk. I knew my battery was getting low so I got in the habit of carrying it. When I did a short stop and the battery didn't have the juice to start I used this. No complaints. It did what I asked. Seems to hold the charge for a long time. I have not charged it in months and still claims to be at 100%. Battery has been replaced but still keep it in the Frunk out of habit.

I carry the Schumacher Red Fuel jumper pack on the motorcycle all the time. It works. Back when I bought it there was only one choice, but I think it’s equivalent to the 1000 amp SL1639 model. I’d have to go check to be sure.

I once started my 4 cylinder car with it as a test. Meaning, I disconnected the car battery completely, and this pocket size battery started the car all alone.

6EACC144-873F-4D5A-AE5B-F08426E4BDAA.jpeg

Last edited:
I have https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9siv1x67u00314&bri=9b-0md-00zp-00043 used it a couple of times with no issues. I got it for $50 years ago. I keep it in the Frunk. I knew my battery was getting low so I got in the habit of carrying it. When I did a short stop and the battery didn't have the juice to start I used this. No complaints. It did what I asked. Seems to hold the charge for a long time. I have not charged it in months and still claims to be at 100%. Battery has been replaced but still keep it in the Frunk out of habit.
I got a 404 page not available with your link

I carry the Schumacher Red Fuel jumper pack on the motorcycle all the time. It works. Back when I bought it there was only one choice, but I think it’s equivalent to the 1000 amp SL1639 model. I’d have to go check to be sure.

I once started my 4 cylinder car with it as a test. Meaning, I disconnected the car battery completely, and this pocket size battery started the car all alone.

View attachment 51655
Nice size although the clamps look pretty big. Can you get them on the posts on your NC?

I got an Anker unit on close-out. I have to remove the rubber retaining straps to get to the terminals, but when you need one, you need one.

Strange, works when I click it. It is a Schumacher model SL161. The link was to neweggbusiness.com where they had a listing for the same model.
The link works for me. Yep, the SL161 appears to be the model I have. it was recommended many years ago by forum member OCR, then discussed again from time to time. Here is a thread over 5 years old about it: https://nc700-forum.com/threads/deal-red-fuel-sl161-jump-starter-princess-auto-49-99.13427/

I’d guess nowadays these ultra small jump packs are common and there are many similar choices.

Nice size although the clamps look pretty big. Can you get them on the posts on your NC?
I think the distorted marketing photo overemphasized the clamps and makes them appear larger than they are. The clamps on mine are about the width of my index finger. Frankly, I have never had a dead NC battery so I never tried the clamps on said battery. I‘m sure I’d find a way to make them fit.

I took a photo to post but the forum picture upload is broken again.

I think the distorted marketing photo overemphasized the clamps and makes them appear larger than they are. The clamps on mine are about the width of my index finger. Frankly, I have never had a dead NC battery so I never tried the clamps on said battery. I‘m sure I’d find a way to make them fit.

I took a photo to post but the forum picture upload is broken again.
Oh, I would have guessed 2 fingers wide by the picture. One fingers width should work

For those of you that either have a jump starter small battery or are thinking of one but anticipate battery post connection problems, there's a cure for that. It takes a tiny bit of work and some routing but that problem is easily remedied. What you need to do is this. Procure some ultra flexible 8GA cable in positive and negative colors, i.e. red and black. Something very similar to this:

Now, before you get all excited in "I don't need that much", No, you don't. That is just an example of the type of cable I use. The next item you'll need is something like this:
That 8GA "pig tail" lead is only about 12" long. Depending on where you place it, you'll need a few more inches of that 8GA cable to add to the pig tail. You can place that pig tail lead anywhere you feel where it's concealed or, out in the open somewhere. Obviously, the other ends are connected to the positive and negative of the battery. What's needed is to set up the basic length of the pig tail. Then, you'll need to put two holes in that storage compartment and two grommets for the 8GA cable to run through. Then route those cables to a point of your choice, again, concealed or out in the open with the Connector visible. Now, you have them connected to the battery terminals and to the outside of the bike, DONE.

Now, that pig tail lead wills serve two purposes. The first would of course be a lead to use to keep your battery maintained and charged. The second purpose, due to the 8GA size, will allow you to connect a battery jumper like one of the ones being shown above. Yes, you'll need to adapt the other 8GA SAE connector/plug to the jumper battery in order for this to work. But that's also easy. Normally, those 12V pig tails installed on most motorcycles are around 12 or 14GA. That's plentY for charging the battery. But, that size can't handle the amperage draw that would be needed when the demand for much higher amps would be necessary for jumping a dead or low voltage bike battery.

By having that pigtail in a convenient place, you have created a much more easily accessible port direct to your bike battery WITHOUT even opening the storage frump lid, much less taking whatever junk you carry in there out and then access the battery. I have done this same install of either an 8GA SAE connector or what's called an Anderson SY-50A connector on my bikes. Without a doubt, it's invaluable if and when needed for jumping purposes. And then of course, quite useful for regular battery maintaining. Below is a picture of my setup on my '18 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag. In that picture, you see both the SAE connector AND the Anderson SY-50 connector. Both are not needed, it's just the way I set up this bike, for now. I'll eventually change it to just an 8GA SAE connector.
Scott

Attachments

• 69325070575__2C6FF13A-151A-43C4-80AA-E98861704074.JPG
    69325070575__2C6FF13A-151A-43C4-80AA-E98861704074.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back