• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My CalSci windshield

Happy the flies only hit the back of the instrument panel

OK LBS I guess I need to fix that signature part since my stupid Ipad is always auto correcting or adding things. GL500 twice, well once I bought it used in Germany (retired Air Force). CBR600F4i, FZR750 1986, CB600 Custom any others I need to fix.

OK LBS I guess I need to fix that signature part since my stupid Ipad is always auto correcting or adding things. GL500 twice, well once I bought it used in Germany (retired Air Force). CBR600F4i, FZR750 1986, CB600 Custom any others I need to fix.

My main use of the shield is actually to shield me from FLIES.
So this shield is a no go for me.

I still love my original Honda touring shield, works well for me.
:D

lol sorry to bring the auto correct angst into the subject, heehee I know it too well.

I was just all fired curious, thanks:eek:

Hi,
Robnpat, interested to get the calsci windscreen. Do u need to make adjustment to the handle bar or levers? How does it look like with the handle fully lock to the left or right? Is there a gap between the lever and calsci windscreen?

Well, I got released from my doc yesterday for work and driving (physical therapy starting next week, though), so I was able to take my bike out for a spin before taking it to the dealer for its' first service. I gotta say that the Sport windshield is WONDERFUL for my size (about 5'10") and I didn't experience any of the buffetting or turbulence on the helmet or body like I did with the stock windshield. I am glad I got it. As soon as I get my bike back, I am hoping to do some more riding before it gets real cold.

For INXS, I had to move both brake and clutch levers up a tad (not much) and it didn't affect my riding. There isn't much of a gap between the levers or windshield, but it depends on how high you move the levers. I can move my handlebars full left and right after adjusting the levers. Again, not by much and feels very comfortable. I would definitely recommend one. I'm glad I got one.

Rob

I installed a large CalSci on mine. The instructions were very vague, with no pictures. Required to install the shield are three 1/4 inch spacers on each side. I contacted CalSci about how many spacers to use, and they informed me that the windshield was designed to use the mounts in the lower position. They did not test the windshield using the higher position. Using the higher position, the side view mirrors prevent the handlebars from fully turning the wheel, but the ride is less windy. I am 6 foot two, 32 inch inseam, and am debating whether trimming the insets to allow the windshield to use the upper mounting. The lower mounting is still too noisy to me, but compared to the stock windshield, it makes a big difference in comfort.

2012-10-20 13.39.55.jpg2012-10-20 13.40.05.jpg

I installed a large CalSci on mine. The instructions were very vague, with no pictures. Required to install the shield are three 1/4 inch spacers on each side. I contacted CalSci about how many spacers to use, and they informed me that the windshield was designed to use the mounts in the lower position. They did not test the windshield using the higher position. Using the higher position, the side view mirrors prevent the handlebars from fully turning the wheel, but the ride is less windy. I am 6 foot two, 32 inch inseam, and am debating whether trimming the insets to allow the windshield to use the upper mounting. The lower mounting is still too noisy to me, but compared to the stock windshield, it makes a big difference in comfort

You still get wind and noise with a sooooooo tall windshield? Are you sure it is not your helmet?

I installed a large CalSci on mine. The instructions were very vague, with no pictures. Required to install the shield are three 1/4 inch spacers on each side. I contacted CalSci about how many spacers to use, and they informed me that the windshield was designed to use the mounts in the lower position. They did not test the windshield using the higher position. Using the higher position, the side view mirrors prevent the handlebars from fully turning the wheel, but the ride is less windy. I am 6 foot two, 32 inch inseam, and am debating whether trimming the insets to allow the windshield to use the upper mounting. The lower mounting is still too noisy to me, but compared to the stock windshield, it makes a big difference in comfort.

I just put the large CalSci on my bike yesterday. I installed in the upper mounting, as nothing in the brief instructions said anything about not using it. Things didn't go well, but I don't believe that using the lower position would be any better. It turns out that mounting a tall screen into flimsy plastic clips is asking for decapitation. Mine popped out of the lower mounts as soon as I got over 70 mph during my commute this morning. Losing half your windshield mounts while cruising down the highway in heavy traffic is a real Depends Undergarments moment.

I'll be heading over to the hardware store during lunch today to get some nuts and washers to put on the backsides of the bolts, just to get me home tonight. Once home this shield is coming off until I can think up a more secure mounting solution, or Calsci steps up and provides one.

I just put the large CalSci on my bike yesterday. I installed in the upper mounting, as nothing in the brief instructions said anything about not using it. Things didn't go well, but I don't believe that using the lower position would be any better. It turns out that mounting a tall screen into flimsy plastic clips is asking for decapitation. Mine popped out of the lower mounts as soon as I got over 70 mph during my commute this morning. Losing half your windshield mounts while cruising down the highway in heavy traffic is a real Depends Undergarments moment.

I'll be heading over to the hardware store during lunch today to get some nuts and washers to put on the backsides of the bolts, just to get me home tonight. Once home this shield is coming off until I can think up a more secure mounting solution, or Calsci steps up and provides one.

This has me concerned as I just received my medium CalSci windshield today. Are you saying the supplied stainless bolts let go from the mounting bracket on the bike?

No, the bolts don't separate from the clips. They screw into the existing plastic mounting clips, which themselves detach from the bike under the strong levering action of the tall shield. There's plenty of shame to go around here. Honda designed a windshield mount made out of plastic clips set in a plastic frame (seriously, wtf kind of cost cutting crap is that?) And Calsci sells large windscreens that are clearly unsafe in this mount without providing any additional/modified mounting hardware. Drseth says they told him they didn't even test their windshield in the upper mount position. Thanks for letting me be your 70 mph guinea pig, CalSci!

LooseClipsSinkShips.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... The Canadian guy running the large shield has yet to report a problem. Thank you for your report and feedback.

Just a thought, maybe that is why Honda has a different mounting bracket for their tall windshield version.

Last edited:
Hmmm... The Canadian guy running the large shield has yet to report a problem.

I hope that's a good sign and not a bad one. I feel that I'm lucky to be here complaining about this right now.

Just a thought, maybe that is why Honda has a different mounting bracket for their tall windshield version.

That makes sense. What does that say about Calsci not providing something similar?

Last edited:
Yikes, Deedub. I hope you had kept a pair of clean undies in the trunk. Have you contacted CalSci and what's their respond? I am sure Honda had tested the standard screen and the taller touring screen on the NCX to deem that the plastic mount adequate. But having a much taller screens like the CalSci would add a lot more strain than what the mounts are designed for.

Having a respond from CalSci would really help in this situation.

I have had no problems with the Sporty CalSci windshield, but of course it is smaller than their medium or large windshields.

My CalSci came in a week ago and I'm completely happy with it. I have the Sport size, and being 5'6'' find that it protects me from the biting blast of cold Michigan air to the chest perfectly. I ride till till there is ice or snow on the road so this wind screen is somewhat essential, and worth every penny I spent on it. Compared to the buffeting experienced behind the tall shield of my former FJR, this thing is smooth and quiet; no head-bob at high speeds.
He Go- I'm a current FJR owner that is thinking about downsizing to the NC700. Please give me your opinions on the differences in protection from the elements between the two bikes. I've got a C Bailey flip on my FJR, which works pretty well. Just looking for some opinions, since you rode an FJR I would appreciate your input, thanks.

Deedub, I was mounting my medium shield today, and I tightened the bolts to 2 ft-lbs. and by the time I got to the 3rd bolt the other side I just finished popped out, exactly like in your picture.

Here I what I did. I went to Home Depot, and picked up:
Stainless Steel # 10-32 x1-1/2'' Machine screws. (4)
SS matching Machine Screw nuts (4)
SS Matching Washers.

I removed the Honda plastic mounts completely. I used the washers that came with the CalSci Windshield plus the ones I bought to mount the shield into the top mounting holes. I tightened it to about 1 ft-lb. (wrist snug)

I just got back from a 2 hour trip to test the Medium windshield, Had it over 90MPH to test the mounting. Nothing happened. The only thing that can go wrong, is the damn windshield would have to crack and break at the mounting holes.

I have photos uploading now. I'll write a post about the modification, most likely tomorrow. Tonight's my birthday dinner. Fridays! with friends and family.

Cheers,

Glad you are still here to tell me what happened, and I fixed the problem!
and

Last edited:
Honda uses the rubber compression nuts to hold shields etc. Not overtightening is very important. If you overtighten it it may look ok but you have probably began to pull the expanding rubber through the mount. I have put over 5000 on my large shield with no problems at all,even in cross winds of 50 mph . I have had my bike up to 90+ mph. Easy mod may do it just to have more peace of mind. Thanks for the heads up.

Back