• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My CalSci windshield

Honda uses the rubber compression nuts to hold shields etc. Not overtightening is very important. If you overtighten it it may look ok but you have probably began to pull the expanding rubber through the mount. I have put over 5000 on my large shield with no problems at all,even in cross winds of 50 mph . I have had my bike up to 90+ mph. Easy mod may do it just to have more peace of mind. Thanks for the heads up.
Good advice Porko,
The compression nuts are called "Well Nuts" and over torque is really easy to do. I don't have the actual sizes of the nuts used in the NC handy, but a quick Google search for well nuts brought up several venders who listed the recommended torque. Depending on size and exactly what material is used, looks like they should not be torqued over 5 to 10 INCH pounds. It would be a good idea to ask someone who has the service manual if Honda calls out the recommended torque for these.
One other suggestion for those going with OriginalRockets stainless hardware idea is to make sure you use some type of anti-seize on the bolts. I've had stainless hardware magically weld itself together if it was repeatedly threaded and unthreaded without some type of lube or anti seize.

Bob

That's a good idea, OriginalRocket. The clips and well nuts are the problem, so taking them out of the equation is probably the best course of action. How did you get the nuts and washers on the back of the upper bolts? Did you have to take the dash unit out to get access?

Happy Birthday - hope you got some good farkles for presents!

My hands barely fit through the cut out on the shield, a small wrench and screw driver was all I needed. A third hand would have helped while holding the nut, washer on the backside, while bringing up the shield and threading the Bolt through the spacers. Some how I did it, with the help of a toothpick.

I'll post pictures soon.

TCinNC
The fjr did a better job with the fairing on the feet and legs. The tall windscreen I used helped up top but the buffeting of the air currents behind It was irritating. The fjr also gave me serious hand numbing which is absent on the smooth nc. The fjr was heavy compared to the nc and it ATE expensive tires quickly. The nc has a huge fun to cost ratio; it's the best bike for the buck out there right now in my opinion.

Last edited:
For someone without a torque wrench, how would you describe "5 to 10 inch pounds" or "1 ft-pound"? And can you describe what "wrist snug" is? Sorry to sound so uninformed, but I gots to know.

For someone without a torque wrench, how would you describe "5 to 10 inch pounds" or "1 ft-pound"? And can you describe what "wrist snug" is? Sorry to sound so uninformed, but I gots to know.

12 inch-pounds is one foot-pound. If you use a screwdriver handled tool with no mechanical assistance and just snug it up reasonably tight, it should be ok. Don't crank on it and don't use a lever arm on it.

TCinNC
The fjr did a better job with the fairing on the feet and legs. The tall windscreen I used helped up top but the buffeting of the air currents behind It was irritating. The fjr also gave me serious hand numbing which is absent on the smooth nc. The fjr was heavy compared to the nc and it ATE expensive tires quickly. The nc has a huge fun to cost ratio; it's the best bike for the buck out there right now in my opinion.
He go- Thanks for the input, I agree about the tires. The most I have gotten out of a set of tires is about 6500 miles.

When I received my windshield, there were no instructions or the mounting kit with it. I installed it in the origonal mounting holes...no easy task...I managed to crack the shield and the bars hit it. I called Cal Si and talked to a very helpful man, THEY ARE SENDING ME A NEW SHIELD NO CHARGE! Fantastic customer service.

Like Alabama Al, I found the box had no instructions or fixing kit. Calsci have just mailed one to me. Looks like Calsci needs to have a word with the guys dispatching their stuff.
Thanks everyone for all the comments on how to fit the screen. I bought the Sport screen based on Robnpat's review, being the same height him. The honda tall screen I currently have is so noisy; looking forward to some peaceful cruising....

chris, I hope you enjoy the windshield as much as I have, despite the fact they didn't send any mounting hardware. I still don't regret buying mine and can only compare noise and wind between the OEM windshield and the CalSci Sport one (this is my first bike). I went out for a few miles or so since it was so nice yesterday. I don't feel like I am getting beat up in the head since I got my CalSci.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Fingers crossed it'll give me the same benefits. I commute to work on my NCx, but it's those longer, higher speed rides I'm looking forward to with a screen that will allow me to sit back and enjoy the view....

Hope your neck surgery heals well. I had a fusion on C5-6-7, and for six weeks post op, I was pain free. Then when I tried to go back to work, the pain came back, then became chronic. After nine years of being on methadone, I can enjoy riding my bike for an hour or so before I start having muscle spasms.

Last edited:
Seth, sorry to hear about your pain. So far (knock on wood), I am pain-free. I have my last physical therapy session tomorrow :)

Rob

It would be a good idea to ask someone who has the service manual if Honda calls out the recommended torque for these.

Guys, here are the standard torque values according to service manual.

5mm bolt - 5.2 Nm
6mm bolt - 10 Nm
8mm bolt - 22 Nm
10mm bolt - 34 Nm
12mm bolt - 54 Nm

Torque Calculator Torque Conversion

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yo robnpat, I got a CalSci - Medium and it works well. I am 5'11'' (was 6' most of my life till head first accident, doc says spine compressed some plus old age). The wind passes
over top of helment and passes acceptably around body. The only beef is it is kinda unsteady. I like the mounting of the Honda screen but getting one is one big pain in the butt.
I lost patience...

Guys, here are the standard torque values according to service manual.

5mm bolt - 5.2 Nm
6mm bolt - 10 Nm
8mm bolt - 22 Nm
10mm bolt - 34 Nm
12mm bolt - 54 Nm

Torque Calculator Torque Conversion

Hope this helps.

Sorry, these numbers are *not* correct. They are the correct torque values for screws going into nuts, but not for the windshield's well nuts. These figures are too high for a windshield and will likely result in cracked well nuts and cracked windshields.

Sorry, these numbers are *not* correct. They are the correct torque values for screws going into nuts, but not for the windshield's well nuts. These figures are too high for a windshield and will likely result in cracked well nuts and cracked windshields.

I could not find exact description of the torque value for windscreen AFAIK. So please use it at your own risk.:eek:

Hey guys, question for those of you who have gone with cal-sci (or otherwise), especially the 'large' - how well do these work for taller riders? I'm 6'6\34inseam, and based on what I've read I'm starting to wonder if anything will get me out of the wind or if I'll just end up with a mobile acrylic wall.

Hey guys, question for those of you who have gone with cal-sci (or otherwise), especially the 'large' - how well do these work for taller riders? I'm 6'6\34inseam, and based on what I've read I'm starting to wonder if anything will get me out of the wind or if I'll just end up with a mobile acrylic wall.

Well for a comparison, one of my other bikes is a ST1300 with a stock screen.......using the power up and down feature you are able to tune the wind and noise..........to get out of the wind and the helmet noise is totally gone.......one needs to looking just over the screen or just under the top edge.........on NC the screen will need to be tall and wide. This will vary slightly with the seating distance from screen.

V- strom guys have played with this for years trying to avoid turbulence, buffeting and noise with all size and shaped screens.
On an older Transalp I have used the stock screen (small and low) for years and welcome the wind.

Back