• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My CalSci windshield

Hi! Based on your posting, I purchased the Vario-ERGO screen deflector from Wunderlich. I am trying to identify the best installation method based on the fact that the taller Honda Touring Windscreen has the rubber trim which makes fitting the stainless bracket on the screen deflector fit in a very funky/non-sturdy fashion. Is it possible you could share with me how you specifically used this deflector with this windscreen? Did you take the rubber trim off from the Honda Touring Screen?

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated... thanks!

Me too has the honda touring screen ,its okay as far as wind protection goes,but the wind noise is terrific,,,, being the same height as you robnpat,I will consider a change to CalSci,,the quality does not looks so bad,,,,,whats the price like???????

Got a tall CalSci windshield installed on the bike this last week. I am using the lower holes because the upper ones seem to put the screen in your forehead when getting on or off the bike. The difference in buffeting is dramatic. E46 top box is installed and I may go for sidebags later. Heated handgrips, 12V socket and centerstand from the dealer and things should be pretty well done for the time being. This bike is fun.

One more thing, the nut plates provided by Dale at HondaBikePro were absolutely essential to feel that the screen was positively installed. The rubber lined Honda plugs seemed terribly insecure for something that could cause an accident if it came adrift in the middle of the freeway. CalSci insisted that the rubber plugs would be fine but I figured that $25 was a small price to pay to feel like I could just "set it and forget it" like the Ron Popeil Rotisserie.

I purchased a new taller CalSci windscreen, and I will be installing it this week on my NC. I have seen many postings in our forum about the need for Dale's mounting brackets to make sure the CalSci installation is secure (I read that some people have unfortunately experienced their screen popping out of the mount - DANGER!). However, I think I also saw a posting from Dale saying that his custom brackets are not required if you already use/own the taller Honda Touring screen, which is what I currently have...he said this screen already has the necessary brackets. Has anybody else changed out their Honda Touring Screen to a CalSci, and if so, was the installation strong enough without Dale's custom brackets? Thanks in advance for your response.

If you use the CalSci windshield either get Dale's brackets or get screws and washers and nylon nuts to create a positive installation. The rubber plugs sometimes pull out while installing so I can imagine what they would do in a 90 knot breeze. Also, CalSci does not explain that all three of the clear spacers provided must be used on each side in order to shim the windshield away from the handlebars. I thought the spacers were extras but I called and they told me what to do. Their instructions could be a little more explicit. Do not overtighten!!! I am going to switch the windshield to the upper holes this week. Aftermarket windshield is absolutely essential or you get thrashed...

Jlandon, if you have the Tall Honda screen then you already have the metal brackets that will work for any aftermarket windshield.

Jlandon, if you have the Tall Honda screen then you already have the metal brackets that will work for any aftermarket windshield.
The Honda plates will work with Calsci shields, but not with Parabellum shields. Parabellum spaces out the mounting holes to match the upper upper and lower lower mounts to spread the load out wider. Dale's plates will work with them since his cover all four sets of holes at once.

The Honda plates will work with Calsci shields, but not with Parabellum shields. Parabellum spaces out the mounting holes to match the upper upper and lower lower mounts to spread the load out wider. Dale's plates will work with them since his cover all four sets of holes at once.

i have nut plates made if any one wants them, dale 20.00 plus shipping. pic on the parabellum post,

The Honda plates will work, you only need them for the bottom holes, the upper two holes are pushing backwards not trying to rip out of the mount like the bottom.

The Honda plates will work, you only need them for the bottom holes, the upper two holes are pushing backwards not trying to rip out of the mount like the bottom.

until you get behind an 18 wheeler and your shield gets whipped all over the place...

The shields are made to be mounted without the plates, if you use the honda plates, even if its only for the bottom two holes its still MUCH stronger than without. If it yanks hard enough to rip out the top mount while the bottom is solidly attached, then you will likely have a broken shield, and we all know how often that happens...

CalSci told me that their large shield was meant to be used in the lower position only. I sent them a photo of my bike with the shield in the upper position and they informed me of that fact. Nevertheless, I kept the shield in the upper position for better protection from buffeting.

Hi everybody. I received my Sporty size CalSci windscreen today, and I just did my best to install it to my NC - DCT model using the nut plates from my former Honda Touring screen. I have ordered Dale's nut plates as well, and I will change them out for the Honda ones once the arrive. It was a bit of a pain in the butt to do the install (the hole positions on the screen are wider than the mounting holes requiring the screen to be bent a bit to do the install. Additionally, I was only able to use ONE of their long clear spacers (the ones that go through both screws on each side) instead of the three spacers they specify/recommend using per side. I did this because the longer phillips head bolts that came with the screen do not work with the Honda Touring screen nut plate (the supplied bolts are smaller than the holes in the nut plate), so I just re-used the four shorter fatter bolts from the touring screen installation...which are much shorter than the bolts provided by CalSci with the screen. As such, I was only able to use ONE plastic spacer per side...but, it still looks/feels like it is a sturdy installation, but I am concerned for some reason because I didn't use all three provided spacers on each side. Basically, when I tried to use three spacers on each side then the Honda bolts wouldn't make it past the spacers to reach the nut plate for mounting. Has anybody else done this, and if so, has it worked out OK? Also, I just read in an earlier post that the handlebar unfortunately hits the screen on the DCT model from the fully turned position (for example my emergency brake hits the screen - I haven't checked the other side yet). I also had Barkbusters installed, so those will have to go too. So, I guess I will need to call CalSci tomorrow and see if they will take the screen back and trim it for me so it will work...meaning another week or so delay for me...bummer! I asked them if it would hit my bars before I bought it, and they said no...but they probably weren't speaking for both versions of the NC (and it definitely hits the bars on the DCT). So, kind of a hassle, but I am hoping it all works out in the end. If anyone could chime in on the safety/security of the single spacer issue I would really appreciate it. I will also ask CalSci about it tomorrow and let everybody know what they say about it... Thanks!

Jlandon,
I'm having a little trouble visualizing your installation, so bear with me. If the spacer you could not install goes between the shield and the bike mount, leaving it out moves the shield closer to the handlebars. This could contribute to the interference you are encountering.
Before returning the windshield, you may want to take a trip to your local hardware store and get some longer bolts the correct size for the Honda nut plates. If you have an Ace Hardware close to you, I'm sure they would have the bolts in stock. Then mount the shield with all the spacers and see if you still have problems with the handlebars hitting the shield.

Bob

Great suggestion Bob....that is exactly what I did last night. I was able to get some M6x30mm bolts from Home Depot las night which has now allowed me to use two of the three clear spacers on each side, and the handlebar issue has almost been completely resolved. So, I have ordered some M6x40mm bolts online (the same length bolts as the M5 bolts provided by CalSci with their screen). That will allow me to use the 3rd clear spacer on each side and should completely resolve the handlebar issue. Thanks so much for your help...this group is such an incredible resource!

I have a Givi shield which need to be a little taller. I was thinking of mounting the stock Honda windshield to the top of the Givi windshield, about 4"of it sticking above the givi shield. I know it won't look as good as a factory shield but it is cheaper that buying another shield. Aline it up and drill some four holes. Hope it will keep the wind and noise off my head.

Back