• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC chassis shared with CTX700 & Voltus

MotoZen

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine is looking at an NC and CTX, in looking at the specs and etc, it appears Honda has shared the basic NC chassis with these bikes. Interesting that they are going multi-platform on this chassis, but I guess is makes economic sense to do this. I am thinking the CTX is almost an extremely lowered version of the NC which still has kind of a cruiserish and sport look to it.

Have any of you seen the Voltus? I am not fond of it and calling it the Re-Voltus, it is the fugliest looking thing.

A friend of mine is looking at an NC and CTX, in looking at the specs and etc, it appears Honda has shared the basic NC chassis with these bikes. Interesting that they are going multi-platform on this chassis, but I guess is makes economic sense to do this. I am thinking the CTX is almost an extremely lowered version of the NC which still has kind of a cruiserish and sport look to it.

Have any of you seen the Voltus? I am not fond of it and calling it the Re-Voltus, it is the fugliest looking thing.

I dont think i would call it sharing a chassis, i believe is a new chassis or frame is what are usually called in the motorcycle world.

they do share the engine.

you see, once you made mod to the frame it make is a complete new frame,

Given that components like the fuel tank, seat location, foot pegs and controls, frunk, etc are different between CTX and NC700X, I would not say it's an entirely shared chassis.

Don't forget the Integra is also part of the NC family.

I believe (thought?) that the frame and power train are shared between the NCX and CTX... And maybe the Vultus? I think that the subframe (seat and rear peg mounting system) has to be different between the CTX and NCX, but I also believe that even the swingarm may be common between them. That definitely counts as sharing a chassis or 'platform,' IMO.

I've sat on a Vultus. It's unusual, but actually a pretty comfortable and interesting bike.

ok let me provide actual fact from honda.

Honda Worldwide | CTX | CTX700

The CTX700 - based on the popular NC700s platform , not the X

The X and the S share the same frame and all the other important bits.

Here is the NC700 frame.
honda_nc700x_16.jpg

After a bit of google-fu I found a the differences between the NC700 and CTX700 frames

2014-honda_ctx_frame_structure_comparison.jpg

When I look at the Vultus, I'm so happy I bought a NC !

If the NM4 was out when I was buying a bike I probably would of picked it up. The opinions I hear about the bike are split along age and opinions on what a bike "should" be. The older someone is the less likely they are to like the NM4 and that also leads into hardened opinions over how a bike "should" look. I only got into bikes a few years ago and I REALLY dislike cruisers and I could care less for "traditional" motorcycles. The NM4 looks like the future or something Batman would drive. It is full on old school Lamborghini bonkers and I'm glad Honda of all companies made anything like it.

I too do not understand that "bike should be/have" thing.
Out of three guys I was learning motorcycle driving from, only one admitted the NC is a nice bike. And it was the only one that actually rode it - the other two just said "I don't think I would ever drive motorcycle with automatic gearbox", without even trying once. So I guess that speaks for itself ;) I mean, they've been both driving for almost 40 years, and already have more miles than I ever will, so their knowledge is far superior to mine. But their open-mindedness - just isn't.

Same was with my father - when I told him I plan on buying NC with DCT, he said it's not a bike if it's auto. Then he spoke to one of his fellow riders who had NC DCT test drive and the guy said it's actually quite a nice machine. Am I the only one seeing a pattern here? ;)

Yep, I was certain I'd seen that frame pic, but couldn't think where. The NC and CTX definitely are the same 'platform.'

There's a very good chance I'd have bought a CTX if they'd been out when I bought my NCX. They're just a ton more comfortable.

When thinking or talking of what a bike 'should' be, I always consider that the CTX and the Shadow are very, very similar bikes. They have similar seating positions, similar power, and similar uses. The Shadow simply looks like what the 'should'-ers all want, and the CTX looks like a current design. The CTX also mops the floor with all other cruisers in efficiency. :)

The X and the S share the same frame and all the other important bits.

Here is the NC700 frame.
honda_nc700x_16.jpg

After a bit of google-fu I found a the differences between the NC700 and CTX700 frames

2014-honda_ctx_frame_structure_comparison.jpg

I personnally have nothing against the Vultus, but I don't like the design of the bike and the specs are telling that the bike is not for me...suspension, seat height, weight...Plus, I'm perfectly happy with my NC !

i test drove the CTX 2 weeks ago before i bought the NC, its was okay, i didn't like the forward peg position, after awhile it was starting to hurt in my low back. I like the riding position on the NC better, the suspension was better on the CTX, but I am very happy i bought the NC.

i just figured out what a European style Honda would be. It has to mean it was a white NC700X, since that one was never offered in the US! The reporter apparently knew the product line better than we thought. (All sarcasm, of course).

I personnally have nothing against the Vultus, but I don't like the design of the bike and the specs are telling that the bike is not for me...suspension, seat height, weight...Plus, I'm perfectly happy with my NC !

The Vultus is a polarizing bike. People generaly love it or hate it. I love it, but I have an NC as the Vultus just will never match the utility and storage of the NC. I really wanted a Vultus, but it cost more and those side cases are really sorta not big enough. That's just my opinion YMMV.

I'll be honest - the only thing that threw me off Vultus was its price, and a fact that OEM side panniers (you lucky US guys can have it!) would have to be dragged from over the Pond.
Other than that - I loved its ridiculous design, definitely something I would like to see myself on :) But that price...

Back