• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT for First Time Rider?

Why would I do that?

Everybody does at some point. There is a lot to learn and a little mistake can result in putting the motorcycle down on the ground. There is a lot of money spent on protection equipment so a drop does not seriously damage you and the motorcycle.

I think you guys have effectively sold me on the NC700X DCT ABS. Thanks for your patience and good info.

Depending if I can get in to my local DPS today to get my endorsement, I may go test ride one tonight.

Do they come off the sticker price much on a new one? Looks like they list at $8,300+380 destination charge.

I haven't priced the new NC700X lately, but when the 2012 came out, the $6999 list price manual was readily selling for $6400, and the $8999 list DCT was readily selling for $8200 at your large Powerhouse dealers like Russellville, Arkansas and Brookhaven, Mississippi. So yes, they are discounted off list, and freight and setup is for suckers.

I don't live anywhere near DFW, but I happened to be there when the 2012 NC700X first came to the US in July, 2012. The DFW dealers at the time were not the best price in the country.

A few afterthoughts:
The Africa Twin is a fine motorcycle. I don't think we meant to talk you out of it. It will fly over rough terrain way better than the NC. But off-roading was not mentioned in your check list, and it does cost quite a bit more.

Also, Honda isn't the only game out there. If you let go of the automatic transmission idea, you've got some more options, such as the Kawasaki Versys 650 and the Suzuki V-Strom 650. Even though I favored the Honda, either one of those others might also meet your needs.

Lastly, I agree with others that a used NC700X is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
I purchased a leftover 2016 DCT in August of 2017 for $7,600 out the door. Just ask the dealer if there are any leftover models at the warehouse. A dealer in St. Louis was selling some leftover 2014's in August as well. Make sure when you are dealing with a dealer that you are getting the out the door price. It includes setup, frieght, and prep charges.

So on a whim, I rode the Africa Twin tonight. I assumed it was going to be this scary, nail-biting experience, but it wasn't. Compared to the supercharged jetskis that I used to mod and ride, it took off a little sluggish by comparison. Even in sport mode and even with me manually shifting itthere was not a scary rush of speed that was overwhelming. Really surprised me. Didn't feel like too much bike at all. At least, 0-60. The DCT was really cool to me though.

Makes me wonder if the NC700X is too small and slow now. Hopefully, I can test ride one tomorrow.

How does the NC700X feel in comparison to a Africa Twin ride? They didn't have one to demo.

How does the NC700X feel in comparison to a Africa Twin ride? They didn't have one to demo.

Your focus on the speed and acceleration aspects of your AT ride suggests that you are looking for something different in a motorcycle than what the NC700X offers.

My story... I’m 6’5” (and soon turn 65) and 250 lbs... well, maybe more. Bought a 2013 Honda CRF250L as my first bike since being 21 years old (had a small get-around Honda.) I enjoy the CRF on and off-road but wanted to feel better about a 100 mile highway commute. Bought a used 2013 NC manual. A bit crunched but some highway pegs and a 2 inch seat pad made a positive difference (I still have my CRF). I enjoy taking the NC off-road (gravel roads and rail bed atv trails) and occasional two track... yes, more slowly than with the CRF. I then brilliantly got the idea of having my son take care of my manual NC so I could purchase a new 2013 NC700xD. Great improvement I thought (and my son doesn’t mind.) Sufficiently fun acceleration for me and 70-75 cruising is just fine.
I added lower pegs, highway pegs, 2 inch Rox riser, seat pad, back rest, sheepskin for the seat, raised the front of the seat reducing the forward slope (and finally bought ridiculously expensive aluminum panniers and topbox for some travel.) It all feels quite comfortable. I find the NC multitasks for me quite well and has given me trouble-free fun.
Now, if the snow disappears I can add my latest... a 22 inch Madstad windscreen (even though I don’t mind the original screen... I sit high enough to be in “clear” air without buffeting.). Three bikes for the price of one 1200 GS.
Hope you also enjoy your choice.

My story... I’m 6’5” (and soon turn 65) and 250 lbs... well, maybe more. Bought a 2013 Honda CRF250L as my first bike since being 21 years old (had a small get-around Honda.) I enjoy the CRF on and off-road but wanted to feel better about a 100 mile highway commute. Bought a used 2013 NC manual. A bit crunched but some highway pegs and a 2 inch seat pad made a positive difference (I still have my CRF). I enjoy taking the NC off-road (gravel roads and rail bed atv trails) and occasional two track... yes, more slowly than with the CRF. I then brilliantly got the idea of having my son take care of my manual NC so I could purchase a new 2013 NC700xD. Great improvement I thought (and my son doesn’t mind.) Sufficiently fun acceleration for me and 70-75 cruising is just fine.
I added lower pegs, highway pegs, 2 inch Rox riser, seat pad, back rest, sheepskin for the seat, raised the front of the seat reducing the forward slope (and finally bought ridiculously expensive aluminum panniers and topbox for some travel.) It all feels quite comfortable. I find the NC multitasks for me quite well and has given me trouble-free fun.
Now, if the snow disappears I can add my latest... a 22 inch Madstad windscreen (even though I don’t mind the original screen... I sit high enough to be in “clear” air without buffeting.). Three bikes for the price of one 1200 GS.
Hope you also enjoy your choice.

He PadrePoint (and anyone else who has installed highway pegs), could you post a picture of them?

He PadrePoint (and anyone else who has installed highway pegs), could you post a picture of them?
Here's a couple pics of mine. They help relieve my aching knees.
57d94aab19a46accb928cb828d0c3cea.jpg
0be13802c6474d8ea8e90fcf63356659.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

heh heh, After all Jarrett you are on a NC700 site. However, i believe everyone of us will tell you the same thing. That although we all enjoy our NC's, you ultimately have to pick the right bike for you. I'd recommend the NC with either the manual or the DCT, it simply is an amazing machine that will do everything a guy could want. The bigger CC bikes can be nice and they each have their place, but the best all around bike i believe is the NC...hands down! Don't become a victim to "information paralysis", regardless of your final decision, the NC is a very wise choice! I am excited for you, this is a great time! :{)

Thanks. I really appreciate all the time and info people have offered here.

I am suffering paralysis by (Internet) analysis right now. Hoping a back to back demo of the NC700X and Africa Twin will help me decide soon.

I rode the NC700X back to back with the Africa Twin tonight and just felt better on the AT.

It felt more like my size, the NC was smaller feeling. The AT inspired more confidence in me for some reason, really liked the feel of the brakes.

I'm going to get one of them. Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Back