• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x each gear top speed

LA_NC700X

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I search and didn't find any info. Over this weekend, a riding buddy of mine ask me what is the top speed for each gear on the NC700x. At the time, I have no idea.

Does anyone know what is the top speed for each gear on our NC700x?

It's kind of hard for me to do this in Los Angeles traffic but here is what I got but I can only approximate.

1 = 35 ish
2 = 55 ish
3 = 70 ish
4 = 85 ish
5 = 100 ish
6 = Don't know.

If anyone have the exact number, please post.

Thank you all.

Hi All,

I search and didn't find any info. Over this weekend, a riding buddy of mine ask me what is the top speed for each gear on the NC700x. At the time, I have no idea.

Does anyone know what is the top speed for each gear on our NC700x?

It's kind of hard for me to do this in Los Angeles traffic but here is what I got but I can only approximate.

1 = 35 ish
2 = 55 ish
3 = 70 ish
4 = 85 ish
5 = 100 ish
6 = Don't know.

If anyone have the exact number, please post.

Thank you all.

Rev limiter RPM * gear reduction * sprocket reduction * tire roll out (in inches) /63360 (inches per mile) * 60 (to get from miles per minute to mph). Easy right?

What are the gear ratios?
What are the tooth counts?
What is the roll out for your tire?

6th gear is usually between 105-115mph depending on size of rider, road conditions and head wind, side bags, rear trunk, etc.... I got mine up to 105mph once, level road, 5mph head wind, 210 pd rider, no bags or rear trunk at the time and it stopped accelerating in 6th gear way before redline.

Gear Ratio Speed Calculator

http://www.gearingcommander.com

Calculated speeds:

1........38 mph..........or 36.43.........if you use the 39t rear sprocket.....40.16
2........56................. 54.07..........................................................59.62
3........73................. 70.47..........................................................77.66
4........89................. 85.38..........................................................94.13
5........106............... 99.15...........................................................109.3
6........127............... 122.2...........................................................134.8

Depending on the numbers used.........
6400 rpm
The car chart you have manual adjust for the primary drive reduction.

It becoming obvious why they chose the stock ratios.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the NC750, NC750 with DCT, and NC700 have different gear and drive ratios, hence different speeds. I managed 119mph today with round about 6000 rpm.

NC 750 XD: 2,666; 1,904; 1,454; 1,200; 1,033; 0,864; Primary 1,921; End 2,294
NC 700 XD: 2,666; 1,904; 1,454; 1,200; 1,033; 0,837; Primary 1,921; End 2,437
NC 700 X/XA: 2,812; 1,894; 1,454; 1,200; 1,033; 0,837; Primary 1,731; End 2,529

Last edited:
How slow can you go in 1st gear without bogging down or stalling the engine?

I can do 7mph on level ground without any clutch work. 6mph is iffy.

Gear Ratio Speed Calculator

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

Calculated speeds:

1........38 mph..........or 36.43.........if you use the 39t rear sprocket.....40.16
2........56................. 54.07..........................................................59.62
3........73................. 70.47..........................................................77.66
4........89................. 85.38..........................................................94.13
5........106............... 99.15...........................................................109.3
6........127............... 122.2...........................................................134.8

Depending on the numbers used.........
6400 rpm
The car chart you have manual adjust for the primary drive reduction.

It becoming obvious why they chose the stock ratios.

Thanks! 36, 54, 70, 85, 99 and 122 is more accurate for my 170 pounds weight.

I believe that we're overthinking this a bit. Normally I love math, but this seems a bit extreme. There's an easy way to find the actual, non-theoretical top speed of each gear.

1. Put bike in first gear.
2. Accelerate until rev limiter stops acceleration.
3. Look at speedometer.
4. Repeat with other gears.

The lower gears should yield a pretty consistent result, but I seriously doubt that you'll get 122 out of 6th gear. Besides, each bike will have a different top end depending on too many factors to count. Air temperature, weight of rider, tire pressure, tire weight, tire size, humidity, luggage, windshield, weight of fuel/gear on board, etc. That's too many variables to come up with an estimate. How fast will it go? I don't know. Fast enough.

Does your friend ride a sportbike of some sort? That sounds like a Gixxer question to me.;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are correct.........

These are just calculated speeds............really have nothing to do with actually riding.

Yes........there is not enough power to pull the tall gearing to 122mph.......again just a calculation.

:D

Curiously enough, this was one of my very first tests of an NCX, on a demo ride.

My F800ST was geared tall, and combined with it's penchant for abrupt coughing and stalling issues, it would buck and surge like crazy at slow speeds, always causing me to be desperately revving and fanning the clutch to avoid groin tearing results, when caught by surprise in slow maneuvering situations. It sucked, especially loaded up with luggage and camping gear! Having a belt drive meant I couldn't change the gearing either.

Having the NCX purr along velvety smooth at 11 kph (6.8 mph) and no hand on the throttle, made me positively giggle in my helmet, lol. Adding that relaxing feature to the NC's repertoire was icing on the cake, with all the other awesome things I was looking forward to.

:D

Curiously enough, this was one of my very first tests of an NCX, on a demo ride.

My F800ST was geared tall, and combined with it's penchant for abrupt coughing and stalling issues, it would buck and surge like crazy at slow speeds, always causing me to be desperately revving and fanning the clutch to avoid groin tearing results, when caught by surprise in slow maneuvering situations. It sucked, especially loaded up with luggage and camping gear! Having a belt drive meant I couldn't change the gearing either.

Having the NCX purr along velvety smooth at 11 kph (6.8 mph) and no hand on the throttle, made me positively giggle in my helmet, lol. Adding that relaxing feature to the NC's repertoire was icing on the cake, with all the other awesome things I was looking forward to.

Back to the calculation again ...............in theory

First gear:
At 1000 rpm the minimum speed should be 5.6 mph with no clutch action
At 1400 rpm the minumum speed should be 7.8 mph with no clutch action

If you drag the brake and slow the engine to 600 rpm you would be going 3.4 mph just be you stall, fall over and break something

Calculation done with stock tire

Yes it is very cold and rainy and wet here............and I am bored.

Last edited:
I took the liberty to try out the actual speeds on a 750 with DCT. The results are as follows:

1: ? (Forgot to try)
2: 95 km/h (59 mph)
3: 124 kmh/h (77 mph)
4: 151 km/h (94 mph)
5: 174 km/h (106 mph)
6: N/A

Please expand the list if you have a chance to try out the speeds on your bike!

The calculated speeds are pretty spot on, 1 or 2 mph more or less.
The speeds are taken from when the bike has its rev limiter at around 6400 rpm.
I left 6th gear as N/A, considering you'll probably never red line 6th gear. Fastest I got it today was 188 km/h (117 mph) at ~5900 rpm.
I have a video of the test with top speed, it'l be uploaded to youtube if anyone is interested.

Back