• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NCX ADV Build Overview

vwhammer

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, since this is an NC700 forum and I have been doing some work on my NCX, it only seemed proper to show you guys and gals what I have been doing.
My goal is to make it a little more off road friendly with the plan on doing some of the back country routes around the United States.
I will start with a rundown of the mods.
Then I will let the pics do the real talking.
I will then follow up with what else I hope to accomplish.

To start off my bike is a 2012 model NC700X and had 2113 miles on it when I bought it about 2 months ago.

First on the list of mods was a suspension upgrade.
Of course I am an el cheapo supreme so I could not bring myself to just shell out pant loads of cash for top of the line suspendy bits.
I simply went with a set of Racetech's gold valve emulators and some new Racetech springs up front of the .95kg/mm variety.
I then finished off the rear with an Aprilia Tuono Shock (2003-2009 I think) wrapped with a new spring from Racetech spec'd out at 17kg/mm.
As a note, the rear shock increased my rear suspension travel by about 25mm (1 inch)

While I had the front apart I installed a set of 50mm (2 inch) inch fork extensions of which I only ended up using about 19mm (.75 inches).

I raised the front end to clear a very minor tire clearance issue due to running a 120/90R17 front tire.
Of course the front fender does not clear the tire any more but rather than just raise the front fender I have decided to go another route that I am still currently working on.

The rear tire is a 140/80R17 which is about 32mm taller than the stock tire and ended up raising the back of the bike by about 16mm.

I have not done any super accurate measurements but by my rough calculations, with the taller tire and new shock and spring, the rear of the bike probably sits about 25mm taller than it did stock and the front is nearly 45mm taller than it was from the factory.
I did buy some 25mm lift "dog bones" for the rear but, as of yet, the bike handles fine and nothing hits anywhere so have not found a need to install them.
Not to mention, with the front end a little higher, the forward sloping seat issue has been virtually eliminated.

Naturally with a taller rear tire it would be smart to change the gearing a bit.
Mathematically I only needed to go to a 45 tooth rear with a 16 tooth front but instead I went with a 46 tooth rear and a 16 tooth front to make it a little better off road.
To be honest now that I have ridden it a little bit I think I could have even gone a little higher.
Perhaps a 15 tooth front sprocket is in order but I need to really get into some off road stuff first before I make that choice.

I only needed a 2.81 final drive ratio to correct for my new tire size.
I went with a 2.875 ratio.
If I switch out to a 15 tooth front sprocket that puts me at a 3.06 ratio.
Since it is not too tough to swap front sprockets I may get a 15 tooth to take with me if I need it.
I think I am even going to modify the front sprocket cover so I do not have to remove the shift lever to swap it out.

Anyway enough about that.

To be honest other than a color change that's about all I have done for stage one of my build.

Here are a few pics of the work.

Stage two involves dropping a few pounds.
I will be ditching the stock muffler in favor of a lighter and smaller unit that is not as likely to get in the way in the tight stuff.
I will also be losing the rear fender/tail light assembly to use some smaller and lighter LED bits.
The last bit of weight savings will come from a new battery, my new lighter front fender set up and I may swap out to a new set of aluminum bars.
All in I suspect I can drop somewhere between 15 and 20 lbs without getting to weird about it.

Of course all of this does not matter too much because Stage 3 will involve adding a bit of weigh back on in the form of armor and/or crash protection.
I will be building my own skid plate and crash bars.
The main point in building my own stuff other than cost is that I do not feel like anything on the market does a suitable job of protecting the actual engine in the event of a serious drop.
I have designed my own crash bars to remedy this issue.

So there is a stage four but after riding a bit with my current mods some of it may get scrapped.
I had hoped to get the suspension travel up to about 8 inches front and rear but so far I have not found a real need for it.
Granted I have not been off road too seriously just yet so who knows
However, after really beating on this thing on most of the stuff that I used to blast around on my XR650L, I have not found a need for more travel yet.

At the top of my list for stage four however, will be a spoke wheel swap in a 19/17 front/rear set up.

I think I have most of the parts sorted but I just need to actually buy them.
After that it will be on to whipping up some spacers and brake adapters to make it all blend together.
Of course the initial set up will be of a budget conscious mentality but if one really wanted to you could get all the stuff brand new and make it work just as easily.

Anyway I will update this thread as I move along but for a more detailed build feel free to check out my thread on Adventure Rider.
Some of you have already seen it and have been following along but for those that have not here is a link.
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/nother-nc700x-thread-but-this-time-an-adv-build.1215824/

Awesome update!! I'm planning do some dirt when making my way down to Cabo next year.

As for the front sprocket, someone here mentioned dremel a slot so you don't have to mess with the clutch lever. I'll be doing that next time I change my front sprocket out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update
El cheapo ebay muffler + Me turning some wrenches + a friend doing so welding = rowdy exhaust

I apologize for no vid just yet for a sound sample but I totally forgot about it while I was blasting around on the back roads.

Man I really wish this thing had another 1000 rpm in the rev range.
I think I bounced off the limiter in 3rd today which I have never done.
Hard to say by the seat-of-the-pants-O'meter but I kinda feel like the bottom end torque fell off a bit but then it really feels like it gets going by about 5000 rpm; more so than before.
All of this is without the db killer baffle thingy.
With the baffle, it quiets down considerably and that may bring back some of the stock exhaust's low end qualities.

The baffle is quite small so I will probably find a spot to stash it in or on the bike with a little hex key so I can put it in if the noise sucks or I feel like I need more low end.

I also managed to drop nearly 5 lbs off the bike.

K that's all for now.
Hopefully the next update will be all about my new fork brace and front fender.

Hey vwhammer, love your build man! Doing something similar with mine too. My build is a little different though; I have a 130/80 and a 150/70 Shinko 705, instead of a 120/90 and a 140/80 Vee Rubber, and I went with 2" extensions as well but used the full two inches of the extensions. Plus I have some links for the rear that are coming in the next few days to raise the back up 40mm instead of going with a longer rear shock. Currently I haven't shared any photos as I am still waiting for the rear linkages to come in and install them. I plan on starting a new build thread soon with progressive photos of my build from the bike being stock to the bike w/ fork extensions, then bike w/ fork extenders and new tires, and then finally the bike w/ tires, extensions, and linkages all installed. Hope to hear about your front fender you're working on sometime soon, interested in coming up with something different for the NC fender as well. Also dig the paint job you got going on too, totally rad!

It was not intentional. It did not arrive with a bump stop for some reason.
However, I did cast a new polyurethane bumpstop directly onto the shaft so it has one now.
There are a few detail about that process on my build thread at adv rider

Funny you just posted vwhammer cause my rear linkages just came in! Really impressed with the new linkages build quality. Just gotta throw em on and see how the bike does

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have a set of 25mm lift rear links but like the way the bike is now so, I have not bothered to install them.
my bike would be in the clouds with a full two inches of lift in the front and honestly, there was no need for it.
Of course, my front tire adds nearly an inch of lift in the front.
With no springs in the forks and under full compression, even my larger front tire only just barely hit the plastic fairing that covers the bottom of the engine.
I only raised mine 3/4 of an inch in anticipation of the new front fender.
I guess if you are just shooting for more clearance under the pan then that is one way to do it.
Honestly, I feel like a good skid plate and a little more compliance in the suspension is all that is needed to take this thing on some pretty serious offroad.

I can't say that I don't want a couple more inches of suspension travel front and rear but, for what I think about doing on this bike, the above-mentioned mods are about all that's necessary.

This does not mean that I will not pursue a couple more inches of travel in the near future but for now I will get by with what I have and save the next stage for the winter months.

Yeah vwhammer I see your point on not sacrificing comfort and ride quality for some more height, that's very understandable. Being about 6'1" - 6'2" and coming off an XR650 the three inches to the front and inch and a half to the back doesn't bother me too bad. My seat does sit higher than my father's Africa Twin though and almost has the same ground clearance too when held upright. I have some really rocky roads/trails I like to ride close to home and I used to hit and scrape constantly; well shortly after installing my rear links today I took off to try them out on a curvy road that leads to the rockier off-road roads I like to ride. I will go ahead and admit that I only scraped over one large boulder during a creek crossing and over a smallish log I decided to try to hop but everywhere else I used too have issues I had no problems at all so I was stoked about that. Now where I was really blown away was actually on paved surfaces. I honestly believe I've found the way Honda should build the NC700X for 6+ foot 200+ pound riders like myself (6'2" 225 lbs). The rear links stiffened up my rear a lot and even helped make the front more too and made the bike ride even better than stock in my opinion. Today was the most comfortable I've ever been on my bike in my honest opinion. Now I may have to stop with only putting either part of both my feet on the ground or putting one down flat, which was how the XR was, but I feel very comfortable with the suspension and with the seat angle as well as it is now truly neutral and I don't slide down towards the front. Now since you only did an inch extension in the front and 25mm higher in the back I bet the angle and ride are probably similar between our two bikes where yours is a little shorter and mine's a little taller. I very much think that since you're not gonna go the full length of 2" in the front, I wouldn't add the linkages with the shocks as it will probably reproduce the original seat slope. Any way you slice it though, your bike still looks fantastic brother! I'll be posting my build in the next few days hopefully, ride on and safe travels till next time!

I need to check the NC links at ADV. Anyhoo, doing a couple of these mods, with an eye to better tire mileage and slightly more ground clearance. I have Michelin Commander 2s in 160/70 and 120/90. Mine is a DCT, anticipate the increase on both ends will still balance out for the brain funation. Also have the 1" extensions. Haven't figured out how to lift the fender yet.

Rode a short piece of the Utah TAT last week with no issues. These simple mods will make it possible to ride all but the harshest. Which means the bike will be much more capable than am I.:)

If you like the stock front fender then you can lift the fender pretty easily.
However, if you are ok with ditching the stock fender, I may have a solution once I get my parts from the laser cutter.
Essentially I am working on an actual structural fork brace instead of the stock flimsy stamped thing that is probably just a fender brace.
My brace will have tabs to mount a real basic aluminum fender that I am also designing.
It also incorporates some fork guards as well.

Usually my laser cutter is pretty quick with the turn around but it has been two weeks now and I have not heard from him so I am not sure what the hold up is.
Anyway I really expect to have parts in hand next week.
Then I can work out all the rest of the details and have something I can duplicate pretty quickly if anyone likes it and might want one for themselves.

As far as my favorite mods are concerned I would easily pick a valve emulator for the front and a better shock for the rear.
Of course I coupled this with new springs front and rear but I feel the valving is where its at to make this bike better off road.
I can not explain the difference this made.
Before, sharp irregularities in the pavement at anything over 40 mph would knock your teeth out.

With the valves and shock, I have blasted out some gravel back roads with some substantial wash board sections and maintained complete control with hardly the teeth chipping jolt that I used to get on pavement.

Hell, the first time I accidentally hit a gravel road with the stock suspension, a short washboard section had the bike nearly bucking me over the bars.
As I said it is tough to explain it but it was a huge change.

All in I spent about $500 on the emulators, a used rear shock and new springs front and rear.
Totally worth it if you have the cash.

Well I have not updated this thread in a while.
I was one of many people that Photobucket shafted with their new policy.
I just recently switched hosts and have started the long process of fixing all of my important threads on various sites.
I have not made it to this one yet.
I did just update the pics in my thread on advrider and it will have any of the updates that I have done recently.
I have done a couple more but have not taken pics yet.
Anyway if you would like to follow along you can check out that thread until I get this one fixed.

Last edited:
Awesome! I just read your thread! Hate to here about the tires but hopefully these new news will work better for you! That really blows that Photobucket done that Bull[emoji90] but oh well. I'll be sure to check Advrider now more often. I have account but I always forget to look on there plus I really just post on the NC700 thread. Probably should post in Advrider more often.

Back