• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need a service manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post 11 of this thread has one for sale: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/bikes-parts-for-sale/11034-nc700x-aftermarket-parts.html

The only official seller of the Honda manual is Helm, Inc., or a Honda dealer. You can find used ones on eBay.

There is also a third party manual. Here is a review thread, and included in that thread is a link to a prior discussion on it: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/4110-review-nc700-service-manual-mark-barrett.html

If you find what looks like a Honda manual but the cover has a white border around it, it is a stolen copy. Any links to the sale or download of that manual will be deleted from the forum. Repeat offenders will be banned.

Last edited:
be careful about 1/2 price versions from New York. They're good copies... but they are copies... got burned that way myself!

link deleted

My humble apologies if I am incorrect, hate me if you must, and it's nothing personal, honest! Just the rules as they have been so far determined. Always willing to change as soon as I am made aware of any new information regarding validity.

Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Trust me, no one more than me would love to believe this was true.

Unless you know something more than I do, that cannot be an "original" from everything I have tried to find out over the years. Can you let me know how the determination was made to believe the seller of the CD?

I called and was in communication with Helm before, and they categorically stated no electronic versions of their Honda NC700 Shop Manuals were produced, and they had not authorized any company to make or sell them on their behalf. (Of any kind, paper or electronic) Other than third party companies making their very own Workshop manuals, Helm is *the* only official producer of Honda Shop manuals for our bikes.

Checking their website still shows no such availability:

Helm Incorporated: Search Results

helm screen cap.jpg

Last edited:
Trust me, no one more than me would love to believe this was true.

Unless you know something more than I do, that cannot be an "original" from everything I have tried to find out over the years. Can you let me know how the determination was made to believe the seller of the CD?

I called and was in communication with Helm before, and they categorically stated no electronic versions of their Honda NC700 Shop Manuals were produced, and they had not authorized any company to make or sell them on their behalf. (Of any kind, paper or electronic) Other than third party companies making their very own Workshop manuals, Helm is *the* only official producer of Honda Shop manuals for our bikes.

Checking their website still shows no such availability:

Helm Incorporated: Search Results

View attachment 29440
I checked a year ago and was told the same thing, I would have preferred digital

Read the fine print of the manual...it is NOT copy-write that I cannot distribute or share it. So why is it forbidden?

ALL INFORMATION, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIRECTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS INCLUDED IN THIS PUBLICATION ARE
BASED ON THE LATEST PRODUCT INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT THE TIME OF APPROVAL FOR PRINTING. Honda
Motor Co., Ltd. RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE AND WITHOUT
INCURRING ANY OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER. NO PART OF THIS PUBLICATION MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT
WRITTEN PERMISSION. THIS MANUAL IS WRITTEN FOR PERSONS WHO HAVE ACQUIRED BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF
MAINTENANCE ON Honda MOTORCYCLES, MOTOR SCOOTERS OR ATVS.

The very same text is found on the other publications, and they are able to be shared and distributed.

Last edited:
Read the fine print of the manual...it is NOT copy-write that I cannot distribute or share it. So why is it forbidden?

ALL INFORMATION, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIRECTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS INCLUDED IN THIS PUBLICATION ARE
BASED ON THE LATEST PRODUCT INFORMATION AVAILABLE AT THE TIME OF APPROVAL FOR PRINTING. Honda
Motor Co., Ltd. RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE AND WITHOUT
INCURRING ANY OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER.

NO PART OF THIS PUBLICATION MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT
WRITTEN PERMISSION.

THIS MANUAL IS WRITTEN FOR PERSONS WHO HAVE ACQUIRED BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF
MAINTENANCE ON Honda MOTORCYCLES, MOTOR SCOOTERS OR ATVS.

What? Of course it is!

The very same text is found on the other publications, and they are able to be shared and distributed.

As far as I am aware, Honda, in addition to hardcopies, electronically published the Owner's manual and several Accessory manuals online, and allowed the downloading of them for private use.

The Shop Manual is published by Helm Inc. for Honda, and only in hardcopy format. They do not have electronic PDF versions, as has been noted earlier. I have contacted Helm directly in this regard as far as Copyrights go, and was told anything other than buying a secondhand manual, one from a Dealer, or from them, was a violation of this.

I got my 2016 Service Manual from eBay, used with some wear but fully functional, $25 shipped. I believe it was previously owned by a dealer.

There's a 'parts' manual as well that lists all the part numbers for everything. That I don't have, but various parts web sites have online versions if you know what you're looking for.

Is it okay to post cropped photos of some pages from the manual I have? Sometimes I think it would be useful for illustrating instead of a wall of text.

I got my 2016 Service Manual from eBay, used with some wear but fully functional, $25 shipped. I believe it was previously owned by a dealer.

There's a 'parts' manual as well that lists all the part numbers for everything. That I don't have, but various parts web sites have online versions if you know what you're looking for.

Is it okay to post cropped photos of some pages from the manual I have? Sometimes I think it would be useful for illustrating instead of a wall of text.

I'm not a lawyer or profess to have any vast knowledge on the subject. I just try my best to follow the wishes of the site and the stipulated rules as they appear at face value. No objections have been made in the past over small cropped pictures showing an illustration, and I can see where some could quite rightly argue it's hypocritical according to the technical letter of the law. But honestly I believe it's truly a case of following the spirit of the copyright reasoning- not to reproduce an entire procedure or an entire manual.

We can see some uploaded movie trailers and easter egg breakdowns on Youtube that are ok apparently, but obviously the sh*t would hit the fan if someone somehow copied entire segments or the movie in it's entirety, and did the same thing.

Sometimes having music in the background of a video is cause for deletion on Youtube, other times they inform you before uploading, that they have determined what you have included is alright and allow it. (I've had this happen personally)

In the end it's nothing personal. Certainly not from me. Forum members getting miffed or insulted over the rule and arguing the technicalities, isn't going to do any good for anybody, though. It just is what it is.

What? Of course it is!

WRITTEN PERMISSION.

Are you kidding me right now?

We "reproduce" directly when we post photo's and copy/paste text from these manuals.

Sharing and distributing does NOT = Reproducing.

Hell, even Napster was NOT sued for "reproducing" music!

If you want to claim its against the law, then you may want to throw down on every photo and copied text on here. Which wont happen, as no other forum does either. But why one manual vs another manual cannot be shared, when each has the same fine print, is ridiculous.

WRITTEN PERMISSION.

We "reproduce" directly when we post photo's and copy/paste text from these manuals.

If you want to claim its against the law, then you may want to throw down on every photo and copied text on here. Which wont happen, as no other forum does either. But why one manual vs another manual cannot be shared, when each has the same fine print, is ridiculous.

Oh c'mon man. Look, this is a Site rule, I am sorry you do not like it or agree with it and find it ridiculous. It is clearly posted to not do it, explanations have been given as to the basic premise why, even though there are no justifications needed to do so.

You really feel so strongly stubborn about this you are willing to escalate and be aggressively adamant about it, despite all the obvious cautioning and polite requests to not do it? Really?

WRITTEN PERMISSION.

Ditto what L.B.S. said in the prior post, plus:

We are not going to debate copyright law, nor the site rules. If you have a concern about the site rule(s), you can take it up with the "admin" via private message. The site administrator would be the one to make any rule changes, if warranted.

The moderators simply enforce the existing rules the members are required to read before posting. If anyone does not agree with the rules, they are not obligated to stay here, nor is this forum required to bend to their wishes. Anyone is free to join other forums or to start their own forum.

Last edited:
Thanks to this site, I was able to find what I was looking for. As to the ongoing discussion, I can see both sides of the argument. I've been a member of several sites that host online versions of the Honda service manuals produced by Helm with no issues. is it legal? Dunno. Do I have any moral concerns with downloading them for free? Nah. I've also been a member of several sites with policies such as the one here where PDF versions of the service manual are strictly forbidden. I don't really agree with it but, I am not up to date on copywrite law so I don't know if there are any potential repercussions for the site owners. Because I'm not the one assuming the liability, I don't argue with it. My biggest beef with the whole situation isn't the big push to only purchase authentic copies of the service manual but rather the price gouging by the publisher, namely Helm. Why can I get service manuals for a car for $20 but a motorcycle costs $80? That seems excessive to me. In the end, I guess it comes down to supply and demand. If you're the only supplier, you can name your price. But, as the sole supplier, if you decide to take advantage of the situation and artificially inflate your prices, be prepared for people to find ways to circumvent your monopoly. So, thank you to the online masses for looking out for the little guy.

The OP found what he or she was looking for. The thread is closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back