• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New NC700X owner in Minneapolis, looking for some guidance

Miweber929

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!!

Just picked up a '13 NC700X this morning with just over 3,000 miles on it. Long time rider, over 35 years now and I've owned pretty much everything from Z50's to CBR1000RR's, ST1100's to XR250's. Current stable is my '14 Grom, '13 NC700X, '11 CBR600RR for Honda's, '04 WR450 and a couple Vino scoots for Yamaha's. No Kawasaki's or Suzuki's in my garage at this time but you never know......

Anyway, picked up the NC because I'm looking for something to be a nice two up and single tourer for smaller day trips with the girl. Right now the bike is stock except for levers (cheap CRG knockoffs) and the tall Honda windscreen. First on the list is a full setup and cleanup with oil, coolant, brake fluid replacement and air filter check, second is a full clean up as the bike spent most of the last year sitting in student section of the university and the chain is quite rusty. Last is a set of new tires as somehow the PO managed to flatten the middle of the rear, no idea how in 3,000 miles but they did; and cup the front as well!!!

Suggestions for good mileage, somewhat sticky tires? Thinking Pilot Roads, maybe; haven't spent much time searching so I might find some other ideas but open to suggestions. No need for off road, either.

What I'm really needing is a passenger backrest of some sort, any ideas where I can find one? The Corbin seat setup is way too much for what it is, looking around shows a forum member who used to make them, wondering if he still does. Other upcoming mods will be center stand, luggage rack, hard bags at some point, crash bars and hand guards and the list keeps going.

Anyway, thanks for letting me talk a bit and look forward to some time with this new beast.

Mike

Last edited:
Welcome! Don't know about companies offering back rests (maybe OCR can tell you where he sourced his) and haven't experimented much with "good" tires - I'm happy with Shinko Ravens for grip and durability based on many sets run on past bikes, but I ride conservatively. How do you like the Grom?

Howdy from Texas!

Tires: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/4984-tires-fit-nc700.html

Back Rest: Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat

Nana Chou accessories:

Rox Riser “2”

J&M Drink Holder

Trackside Aluminum Hand Guard Kit with Shields

Mirror Extenders

Bike Master Power Outlet - One on handle bars, one in frunk

Kuryakyn Iphone Handlebar Mount

Universal Vista Cruise Control

Cramp Buster

Utopia Back Rest

AMS Comfort Max Sheepskin Gel Pad Large

Rivco 7/8” Highway Peg mounts for GL1800

Rivco Anti Vibration Pegs Black Powder Coat

Givi Engine Guards

Givi Trekker Fog Lights

Givi Trekker 33 liter Saddlebags

Givi Trekker 54 liter Trunk

Givi Trekker truck and saddlebag mount

2 Koplin 1 ½ gal Fuel Pack Jr with Mount

¾ Square tube Homemade Gas tank mounts

4 Tooltubes mounted Inside Givi Racks and on gas rack

Honda Center Stand

Hepco & Becker Skid Plate

First gear DC Coax Jack Panel Mount w/ 8in Coax Plug Cable

F-4 Interphone Head Set

Iphone

First Gear Laguna Mini Hard Tank Bag

Eddie Copeland Seat

National Cycle Vsteam Touring Tall Clear Windshield

Bell Compass

Knight Design 25mm Drop Foot Pegs

Arkansas 006.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! Don't know about companies offering back rests (maybe OCR can tell you where he sourced his) and haven't experimented much with "good" tires - I'm happy with Shinko Ravens for grip and durability based on many sets run on past bikes, but I ride conservatively. How do you like the Grom?
Grom is a fun little run about but maybe not the most practical thing in the world. Real world it's good for 50-55mph so ignore all the hoopla of people saying they go 65 or more is BS; I've drafted behind a truck and got 63 on a downhill but I don't consider that accurate.

It might go to make room for the NC, but the girl and I like cruising around on her Vino and me on the a Grom so we'll see.
Howdy from Texas!

Back Rest: Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat

Edited incredible list of mods!!!!

View attachment 18522

Wow, thanks for all the help! Lots of mods to look up and add to the list :) I will edit my original post, however, and clarify I'm wanting a passenger backrest, not driver. I'm fine, it's the backseat I'd like to make a bit more comfy.

Thanks, all, keep it coming!!!!!

Mike

Greetings from the north side!

There are options for backrests out there...
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5637-new-back-rest.html

But if you are doing touring, you might want to look at luggage with a backrest on it instead... OCR lists the "Givi Trekker 54 liter Trunk" which there is a backrest for (basically a padded piece to stick on the luggage) but it is not in his photo...

I'm hoping to order the luggage, racks, backrest, etc. tomorrow for mine.

Search for and read the seat slope modification thread before you lay out any dough for a seat.

I love what Tapatalk does with the headlines sometimes!

6ybu2ege.jpg

If you are wanting some configuration of passenger backrest PM johnakay. He has made several different styles. Some pics of his work: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/vendor-specials-group-buys/5918-new-passenger-back-rest-racks.html

PR3/4s tires have good reviews on the forum. I ran the PR3s. Continental Motions also have good reviews and are less expensive.

The stock chain isn’t the highest of quality. Seems that most people change it by around 10k. I’d consider going ahead and changing it since it is rusty.

For a passenger backrest, do you ever intend to get any luggage? Any of the top case systems (Givi, Shad, Honda OEM, SW Motech, etc) make great backrests, and double as convenient, dry, lockable storage.

Tires, I'm a big fan of the Michelin Roads, I've used the 3's and 4's on the NC and been very happy with them. But, there's a bunch of different tires out there, everyone likes what they like.

trey

Thanks all, GREAT options. Looking at the bike a little more this morning when I went through it I found the PO must have crashed it at some point as the front rim has a small flat spot in it and I found a lower cowl bracket bent up strangly. Looking like he fixed some stuff but not it all; I will either replace the wheel this winter or have it fixed as the bead still seats fine and it runs true without a wobble so I'm not worried.

I managed to clean the chain up enough to run it for a while, did the oil and filter and bled the brakes. Also reinstalled the stock windscreen as the tall Honda one sent air bumping right into my helmet and made the short hop uncomfortable. Everything else looks OK but both tires are shot: the rear Metzler is flat in the center and the front is cupped bad, need a complete set it seems before much else.

I'll know more about seats and backrests in the next few days, my hesitation with the top box pads are teh fact they are removeable, is it a solid backrest? Hate to have it come loose or break the box.

Thansk for the help, guys.

Mike

I'll know more about seats and backrests in the next few days, my hesitation with the top box pads are teh fact they are removeable, is it a solid backrest? Hate to have it come loose or break the box.

I've never had one that had an actual pad. The wife's jackets all have some kind of back pad/protector in them that seems to work fine when she's leaning against the box. IMO, the extra pad just takes away room from the passenger.

YMMV, of course.

trey

Just picked up a set of Bridgestone T30's and will be putting them on either next week or next weekend and we should be set until winter mod season starts. I'm sure I'll pick up things here and there (crash bars, rear backrest and/or luggage rack will be the first) but so far were off to the races.

The low rev limiter is interesting as seat of the pants feels like the bike is still making power when it cuts in, it'll take some time to get used to it. The garage is getting full, going to be interesting......

Mike

Back