• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No test rides.....

TenMidgits

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone switch to this bike from a 1300 v Twin cruiser?

I want to get a feel for the power. I ride a V star 1300 and was thinking about a quick commuter. I was wondering if this bike would feel sluggish after riding a 600lb 70hp Cruiser. I like the idea of the bike but really don't want to step down in acceleration.

My buddy has a V Star 1100 that he lets me ride whenever I want. I will tell you, acceleration on the NC can't compare to the 1100. But that's not what I was looking for in a motorcycle. I kinda have the best of both worlds. A commuter for me and another MC to use if I want to go a little faster off the line.

As per your thread title...are you saying "no test rides" are available in your area? IMHO this will be the only way to judge the acceleration of the NC. If it's that big an issue to ya, I'd find a dealer offering test rides even if they weren't local.

Hello
I had a Shadow 1100 before the NCX.
The cruiser is a heavy beast but it packs a wallopful of torque.
Do I miss the pulling power compared to the NCX?
Answer is NO.
The NCX has 62Nm. I think that is quite enough for this bike (much lighter than the cruiser).

Hope this helps.

Well, I've never ridden the V Star 1300 to compare, but here's some numbers to digest from Motorcycle Consumer News:

--------------------------1300------------NC700X

0-60 mph time------------5.14---------------5.7
Weight--------------------719--------------474
Rear wheel HP------------64.8--------------47.5
Pwr to weight ratio----- 1:11.1-------------1:10

What I could read out of that is that the lower weight of the NC would offset the lower horsepower and give about the same satisfaction in acceleration. The power to weight ratio is actually better on the NC700X. But as already mentioned, a test ride would be the only way to know if it pleases you.

Well, I've never ridden the V Star 1300 to compare, but here's some numbers to digest from Motorcycle Consumer News:

--------------------------1300------------NC700X

0-60 mph time------------5.14---------------5.7
Weight--------------------719--------------474
Rear wheel HP------------64.8--------------47.5
Pwr to weight ratio----- 1:11.1-------------1:10

What I could read out of that is that the lower weight of the NC would offset the lower horsepower and give about the same satisfaction in acceleration. The power to weight ratio is actually better on the NC700X. But as already mentioned, a test ride would be the only way to know if it pleases you.

I did the same interpolation. I had two VT1100s before the V Star. So I can come to the conclusion the NCX will do fine from a stop but passing power will suffer. The mid range in the 1300 is very good. better than the VTX and Sporster 1200. Low end grunt is better on the latter bikes. I liked that because I have found I have accelerated out of more issues than braked into them.

I think If I am going to go to a lighter better handling ride I will open my windows of opportunity to get some better mid range acceleration in the mix and see what pops up. FZ6R or VFR800 may be worthy contenders. I won't buy a bike based on MPG. My truck gets 18. Anything over 35 and I am happy. I put about 4K on a year. Fuel is not a huge expense.

My priorities are in order
1. Better hadnling
2. Wind and weather Protection
3. Mid range Acceleration
4. Wide Maintenance intervals
5. Lower insurance costs
6. Fuel Economy

Looking at that list May have to look at FJR LOL. But Yeah I would have to actually ride an NCX to understand the 6500 RPM Red Line.

I did the same interpolation. I had two VT1100s before the V Star. So I can come to the conclusion the NCX will do fine from a stop but passing power will suffer. The mid range in the 1300 is very good. better than the VTX and Sporster 1200. Low end grunt is better on the latter bikes. I liked that because I have found I have accelerated out of more issues than braked into them.

I think If I am going to go to a lighter better handling ride I will open my windows of opportunity to get some better mid range acceleration in the mix and see what pops up. FZ6R or VFR800 may be worthy contenders. I won't buy a bike based on MPG. My truck gets 18. Anything over 35 and I am happy. I put about 4K on a year. Fuel is not a huge expense.

My priorities are in order
1. Better hadnling
2. Wind and weather Protection
3. Mid range Acceleration
4. Wide Maintenance intervals
5. Lower insurance costs
6. Fuel Economy

Looking at that list May have to look at FJR LOL. But Yeah I would have to actually ride an NCX to understand the 6500 RPM Red Line.

The NC700X wins on items 1, 4, an 6. It fails on 2. 3 and 5 are variable by individual. Based on your expressed needs, there is probably a bike out there that fits your needs better than the NC700X would.

Greg

I had an 1100 shadow in the past along with the fz6 (not the fz6r) and a VFR800. The nc is closer to the 1100 than the others. In that I mean it doesn't accelerate or top out like a semi-sport or sport tourer. It accelerates more like a cruiser.

From what I've read the fz6 and fz6r are completely different bikes. The fz6 is a detuned r6 while everyone refers to the fz6r as restricted. Meaning it is down on power from the fz6. There is no way an fz6 could run with a 600 supersport and the fz6r is slowere than the fz6.

The VFR is a sport tourer with more emphasis on sport. The VFR is too heavy to really be a sport bike. I actually sold my VFR after I bought my nc because it just didn't get ridden.

If your wanting something with more acceleration and a more forward riding position look at the VFR or fz (I would stay away from the fz6r). There is also the new fz8 that would be worth a look. If you want a more cruiser like riding position that handles way better than a cruiser then take a serious look at the nc. Hope this helps

I would think you are used to a low redline now. Most metric cruisers have redlines under 6500 rpm and handle like pigs. I had a Shadow 750 and a VTX1300 and that [poor handling] was the reason I moved away from cruisers. The NC will feel like a bicycle to you after the Vstar's weight, length, and steering geometry. It steers much quicker and flicks into and out of corners. It will not have the mid-range wallop of 70 or 80 ft/lbs of torque the VStar has but there is little difference in acceleration between 50 and 80 if you stir the gearbox. The VStar doesn't require a downshift of a gear or two to pass ASAP but the NC generally does as it has half the torque and 3/4 the horsepower.

I would think you are used to a low redline now. Most metric cruisers have redlines under 6500 rpm and handle like pigs. I had a Shadow 750 and a VTX1300 and that [poor handling] was the reason I moved away from cruisers. The NC will feel like a bicycle to you after the Vstar's weight, length, and steering geometry. It steers much quicker and flicks into and out of corners. It will not have the mid-range wallop of 70 or 80 ft/lbs of torque the VStar has but there is little difference in acceleration between 50 and 80 if you stir the gearbox. The VStar doesn't require a downshift of a gear or two to pass ASAP but the NC generally does as it has half the torque and 3/4 the horsepower.

Hi Dave,
I don't mean to sing another tune, but I handled my VT1100C2 very well in the corners and also in the mountain curves.
The one reason which made me squint was the brakes. It did not brake very well at the speeds I was abusing the Shadow with.
The torque is fantastic, maybe equivalent to the NCX.
Another problem was the apparent breathlessness due to the carburetors in higher altitudes.
The NCX solved both these issues.

Having said that, NCX is a dream to handle (carve) compared to any cruiser. It just banks down easier.

If you want fast acceleration, just practise and time your gear shifts. Any "slow" bike can be ridden fast, based on the rider. I have never seen a "no holds bar" drag race on public roads or at the lights.
As the saying goes in SAS (UK Special Forces) "Who dares wins".
:p

The only things here which can outrun me at the lights are probably some highend sportsbikes and sportscars.
The others are just too chicken to play drag races.
(Not that I am admitting to any illegal speeds here).
:p

Anyone switch to this bike from a 1300 v Twin cruiser?

I want to get a feel for the power. I ride a V star 1300 and was thinking about a quick commuter. I was wondering if this bike would feel sluggish after riding a 600lb 70hp Cruiser. I like the idea of the bike but really don't want to step down in acceleration.
I have a Road Star 1600 that I used as my daily commuter until I got my NC700X. The NC is in almost every respect the better commuting bike. Gas mileage, handling, braking, weather protection, visibility is all much better than my Road Star. The only thing better on the cruiser is the big fat comfy saddle.

I have a Road Star 1600 that I used as my daily commuter until I got my NC700X. The NC is in almost every respect the better commuting bike. Gas mileage, handling, braking, weather protection, visibility is all much better than my Road Star. The only thing better on the cruiser is the big fat comfy saddle.

Weather protection is one of the biggest issues I have with the NC700X I am protected from my feet to my head right now. I ride in rain and cold weather months geared up and in the Summer in shorts sneakers and camp shirts and don't get sandblasted or bugged.

I have seen higher shields for the NCX but I have not seen anything with the waist down wind protection like chapped engine guards or lowers. or the wide plastic protection the V strom has.

Well unless I can test ride a bike i won't buy it and they are not allowing test rides. So I may have to look at VFR or V Strom as I have ridden them.

Have to agree with you there. I am not a twisty rider but when I hit a couple 90 degree sweepers at 60 on my V Star I can feel the disco dance. Does not feel like it is on rails. A 1200 Sportster would out handle this bike. I had two VT1100s befoore the V satr and they to were dragging bike parts sooner rather than later. THAT is one thing that drew me to the V Strom and NCX for a look.

V Twin torque and handling with the NCX advantage being a Honda.... 48HP was a little scary though since I have accelerated out of more pucker moments than braked into them over the past 30 years or so. I was thinking V Star 650...

TenMidgits, I'm an old Harley and Triumph rider, new to the NC700X. I've had plenty of motorcycles and still love Harleys more than anything else. I had the same concerns about the NC, and they've all been put to rest. The torque on the NC is almost exactly like a Harley, down at low engine speeds so you can short shift and get surprisingly brisk acceleration without working the engine hard at all. I haven't ridden mine much, but don't remember going over 3,000 rpm more than once or twice as there's no need in my normal riding. Handling is great, braking is more than adequate, comfort is up to the individual but good for me, and acceleration is just not a problem. It's quicker than any car I'm around, so I'm satisfied. It'll never be a '70 Bonneville or a Night Train, but I still love it.

TenMidgits, I'm an old Harley and Triumph rider, new to the NC700X. I've had plenty of motorcycles and still love Harleys more than anything else. I had the same concerns about the NC, and they've all been put to rest. The torque on the NC is almost exactly like a Harley, down at low engine speeds so you can short shift and get surprisingly brisk acceleration without working the engine hard at all. I haven't ridden mine much, but don't remember going over 3,000 rpm more than once or twice as there's no need in my normal riding. Handling is great, braking is more than adequate, comfort is up to the individual but good for me, and acceleration is just not a problem. It's quicker than any car I'm around, so I'm satisfied. It'll never be a '70 Bonneville or a Night Train, but I still love it.

Funny you should mention Harley because I rode a XL1200C yesterday and it handledwaaay better than my 1300 and could be made "weather proof" A bit smaller than mine. Felt light and had those fat tires on it. It could make a nice middle for the torque and a light handling commuter

I really need to find a way to ride an NCX, and see what is available for weather protection. As you can probably tell I HATE wearing FF helmets Feeling riding in a fishbowl . All the hard plastic and leather in the heat kills my enjoyment. Therefore open air wind , road debris and weather protection head to toe is important to me. most riding here is warm weather.

Takes the very reason I ride away completely.

I have never found a Dealer that gives test rides... Only used bikes.... I go to Demo days for all my test rides... Even then it's only once a year...

I talked to a few dealers around me to find a test ride. I was told that it sometimes this has to do with liability and the dealer's ability to get insurance for test rides. For example, I had a shop in Chicago's city limits that didn't give test rides because they could secure insurance for them, because of their location. Went to a shop in the suburbs, signed some waivers, and was able to take it out for a test.

They did have a couple of rules, they bike you were testing couldn't be more than 500cc more than what you were currently riding, and sportbikes weren't allowed.

Back