• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM rear carrier bolt!!! No replacement!!!

lietuviukasd

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went to Lake Geneva this weekend and some more did 350 mile run and I have oem carrier and trunk when I came back from my trip I checked the bike and one last whole of oem carrier and rack connection Was missing one bolt with a washer and spacer. So I called up my local deler to order the parts to replace the missing ones ...guess what they dont have them.... He said he had some connections with homda usa blah blah blah....he called me back today and no dice.... He said we cant get you an original will try to get you a similar one..well I dont want that I need the original parts thats what I want. I called honda myself and they said there is no part number for the bolts spacer blah blah since it is an accessory we dont care spare parts. So I got real mad I spent all this money with Honda oem parts and cant get a replacement ! They said they dont even know who makes the carrier parts and bolts for them and said they will do the best to ge me those parts and will try to get in touch with the manufacturer ..I was blown away hat they dont have the replacement parts I assume im not he only one.....? Waiting to here back from honda usa

image-1.jpgimage.jpg I want the originals and will get them from Honda usa no matter what if they advertise the product like there own then replacement parts should be offered.....

You could buy another kit... It should come with one lol. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. Ace hardware should have something comparable. I'm sure it's not a space shuttle bolt and spacer.

I understand what you saying ...but Honda should offer the parts its there product I should have to look else where...you know...They didn't even know who makes the accessories....cum-on do they know anything about there product seems like I know more about the bike then the dealer or Honda usa....every time I have a question there is no answer ...

If your shop installed it, you should apply pressure to them. If you installed it, I'd hit up the hardware store. Motorcycles vibrate. Loose bolts leave.

I lost a couple of mine too, kicking myself for not using locktight on them now. Of course when I lost mine I was 1000 miles away, so I went to lows and found close enough stuff to at least get me home. My only advice is to check the internet. I'll be looking for some too, so when/if I find something I will pass the info this way.

You might try Givi. They might be who actually manufactured the product. Honda should indeed carry spare parts for your bike, but not accessories. Lets see, here is an example from cars. I own a PT Cruiser and Chrysler sold "woody" vinyl "panels" for my car back when. If I damaged one of the panels, I would have no expectation that Chrysler would sell me one side only, they are only sold in sets. Nor would I even expect that they could sell me the set today that they only offered in 2001.

See my point? I think you will have to scavenge something. Even if Honda was able to supply the bolt and spacer (they probably could if you had the right connections of course), it would probably cost ten times what the hardware store will charge if that makes you feel any better.

You guys are correct, there should be a relatively easy resolution to finding a similar bolt.

BUT - I totally agree with the OP! The parts should be available. PERIOD! A customer shouldn't be sent on a wild goose chase. Just bad business..
What if your alternator crapped out and there was no parts available? Or your fuel pump or..... ? Of, course I am exaggerating, but only to make a point :)

Actually funny coincidence you mention this we were putting a luggage rack on a Harley tourpak the other day and one of the nylon washers that keeps the bolt from scratching the pak broke. Now let me start by saying Harley makes everything and sells anything they can, even pieces out of kits. But in this scenario they did not sell the washer outside of this kit. So we improvised. I know it's not something you want to do but sometimes it's just not cost effective for a manufacturer to supply something like that. In the end Harley is big customer service oriented, Honda is big $ oriented. If it doesn't make sense or move them foreword they don't do it.

What if your alternator crapped out and there was no parts available? Or your fuel pump or..... ? Of, course I am exaggerating, but only to make a point :)

Maybe not the best example.............some/most manufactures do not sell parts for alternators, starters or Fuel pump they are sold as assemblies only and can be very expensive. This can apply to cars as well bikes. The aftermarket has filed that gap with some parts some times. The NC fuel pump is sold as assembly just like any Honda car fuel pump.

It is unfortunate a hardware kit is not available for the rack system.

Note: The bolts are 5mm Allen head but bolts are sold and sized to the shank diameter which is 8mm.

Note #2: This is a good place to talk about all mods and DIY projects........you are responsible for the work and quality problems that may happen. Any one in the repair industry has seen the double gasket-ed oil filters and the blown engine that resulted or a roof rack or trailer hitch that fell off or broke and caused an accident, fuel leaks that cause fires and customer modified wiring that caused a stall or fire. etc.etc etc Others have written about dealer quality problems that have happen with less than great results so the problem is spread around. Same applies to home repair and the like, plumbing and electrical systems seem to have the market cornered on DIY or professional repair problems after the fact.

Note #3: Maybe not the best timing..................was there not some prior comments (threads) about bolts being perceived to be too tight from the factory.:confused:

Last edited:
Fix it and go on. If they stocked every part for every option kit that someone else made for them just so you could order one and the other 500 could die in inventory at their expense, well, it is not much of a business proposition. Kitting the parts is a sensible alternative, but seriously, just deal with it.

Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online

Lee

You might try Fastenal if you want to get hands on with the parts. They seem to have (or able to get) anything, BUT for a price....

Update! Honda USA called back 2 days later surprised but they did call...so only two parts out four they have, a nut and washer wow, will try the places you guys mentioned for he spacer and the bolt socket.... Very dissapointed so far

18433.jpg

whiners.gif

The spacer might be available at some hardware stores that have those little bins of expensive odd hardware. You would probably need to cut it down to size. Or, you can just make a spacer from tubing.

A solution for the lost bolt is to just replace them all with something like stainless steel allen button heads or whatever looks good. Given that you lost the original nut you might want to replace them all with self locking nuts. Honda usually does OK with hardware quality, but with aftermarket accessories I usually go buy better hardware than what they send anyway.

I realize it's frustrating but it's just hardware, and there are lots of sources for that.

I don't have much luck with Fastenal. I wanted some simple metric brass flathead screws. They checked and said they didn't have them and couldn't even order them. If they could have I probably would have had to buy a bag of 100.

Greg

A solution for the lost bolt is to just replace them all with something like stainless steel allen button heads or whatever looks good.

Over the years I've modified, replaced, repaired or simply eliminated parts from bikes and have saved a treasure chest of fasteners and pieces for the possibility of a bolt vibrating loose and falling off. Have been pretty lucky in that department so far.

Back