• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

OEM v. Aftermarket

CorEnFa

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I'm new here to this forum and to the NC700X (well, kind of new - I'm going to the dealership now to finish paperwork).

Here's the question (I've searched, but couldn't find a good definitive thought on the subject) -
With the Honda OEM accessories, there is a lot of frame and tupperware modification necessary to install (cutting, trimming, drilling, etc.). Most of the aftermarket stuff, on the other hand, looks as though it's just bolt on with no major or even minor mods.

Is there a consensus among the masses as to whether the OEM stuff is worth the hassle or whether the aftermarket stuff is as good/better?

I'm looking specifically at things like the Givi topcase and side cases and engine protector/light rails. The price of admission for the Givi stuff is actually higher than the OEM, but it looks like the service costs of installation will be considerably lower.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
J.

the oem stuff tends to have a better look to them. oem stays for the side cases are much better looking that the big frames of the others. I'm not a big fan of the oem lightbar as I don't think it actually protects much of anything. Me personally though I don't mind a little cutting/drilling although I think Honda should have designed their stuff a little better so you didn't have to cut.

I went with Givi for the extra room. When I looked at the OEM, I knew they were too small for my needs. YMMV

Last edited:
As far as the bags go the hondaline stuff is made by Givi so the quality is going to be the same. I went with Givi simply because I already had the bags, just had to buy the mounts. I prefer the looks of Honda bags but (like others here) style always looses to functionality

Hi CorEnFa,

I decided to go with the givi stuff since I already have some other givi stuff. It's also reversible. I'm tempted to wait for Givi to come out with removable side case racks like they have for other bikes. If you want Givi, order now: their rear rack and windshield are on backorder for the forseeable future.

You might want to take a look at Shad luggage as well. The closing mechanism is a lot nicer than the Givi stuff and it's easier on the wallet. similar build quality as well.

Congrats on the new ride, I think you might be the third MP3 transplant. :)

Hey Cagedodger! Good to see you around these parts too!

Thanks for the tips!
I was reading this in the dealership while getting paperwork set up.
I decided to go with the Honda stuff since I can get it relatively quickly and the price difference was negligible.
The quality looks pretty good overall and, like the bike, I hope pictures don't do it justice.

I wonder how many others will be jumping the mp3 ship too. My brother (also on modern Vespa) switched to a V-Strom 650.

The responsiveness and power from this little guy are quite impressive.

Got the side panels off at the momement, just fitted oem light bar and added the sub harness to fit 12v usb in trunk and handlebars, Honda taller screen installed, all oem stuff fits perfectly. Used the Givi lugage rails because they are steel and I have some mods in mind and I cant weld aluminium,
Will come back on the harness when I get back from Florida (two weeks) because the three wire sub harness blue wire doesnt make sense?

Back