• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

off-road tire more agressive than Shinko 705

mtiberio

Reaction score
gjm.site90.com
Was wondering what folks have tried for off road riding that is more agressive than the shinko 705?

Heidenau?
Conti TKC80?
Kenda or Duro?

Cost not really an issue, neither is endurance

I only know what I have researched (no first hand experience) but it sounds like if cost and longevity is not an issue and you want the best off-road grip TKC80s front and back would be the ticket.

Once I wear out my current tires I would like to try TKC80 front and Heidenau K60 rear (better longevity on the rear).

is it advisable to go narrower for better off road performance, and are any narrower front options available? Stock is 160 rear, and do folks use 150 or 140 on the back?

Heidenau? - Longest wear of the three.

Conti TKC80? - Best handling on the road and in the rain.

Kenda or Duro? - Kenda is best handling in the dirt.

All three are good tires. I currently have the Shinko on my bike for the first time. So far, no problems in 4500 miles.

I have got about 8000 miles on the rear with all of these tires. Heidenau got the most miles in adventure riding on and off road and Kenda the worst, but all three were within 1000 miles of each other.

Last edited:
I am currently running a TKC80 front and a Shinko 805 rear. Both are KNOBBY tires that handle everything I throw at them. I find them to be good ON ROAD and really good OFF ROAD.

I am currently running a TKC80 front and a Shinko 805 rear. Both are KNOBBY tires that handle everything I throw at them. I find them to be good ON ROAD and really good OFF ROAD.
can you tell pls, for how long these tires will "live".
i am thinking of changing the stock tires into tkc's set.

can you tell pls, for how long these tires will "live".
i am thinking of changing the stock tires into tkc's set.

This will depend on many factors: how much on road vs off road you do, how much weight you carry, etc etc. I off road a pretty good bit and got about 5,000 miles out of my rear Shinko 805. I thought that was awful people have told me that was good so who knows. I am now on my second set of Shinko 805. The TKC up front will probably go 10,000 miles for me as it looks like its not even half way worn. I know for sure knobby tires will just not last as long as a little more road worthy tires. Any other questions Ill be happy t try to answer. These guys here know better and more so I am sure they will chime in soon on their choices.

TKC80 is the only choice for the front as they are the only one who makes a front that fits. Good thing it is a good tire.
I need to caveat my evaluation on this is based on Arky riding which we have large aggregate gravel (think road base sized).
On the back I've done:

Pirelli Scorpion Rally-- Similar pattern to Shinko 805 I believe. won't clog in mud and digs well in sand. Lacks lateral grip. great if you are a tail out rider. Locks up easier on braking than my favorite tire. On-road Buckshot Mudder loud but otherwise OK.

Kenda Big Bock--same pattern as TKC80 but is "supposed to last longer". Good all around tire. Standard all around big block pattern that just works. I did find that it was a bit jerky on lateral grip. Grab n slide, grab n slide. (I think the big blocks were rolling on the large gravel)Locks up on braking easier than my favorite. On-road is good. Not too noisy. I didn't get full life out of it. After a ride I came home with 17 holes in it. Thought I had ran over glass or something but talking and reading from others I'm thinking the knife edge gravel got it.

Mitas E07--My current favorite. Direct competitor to the K60. Reviews say it doesn't have the issues that people complain about on the K60. Works great on Arky gravel. Slides predictably. Braking is way better. Not as good in mud as a big block but does work good. Works OK in sand. This tire doesn't have the ultimate grip of a big block but it suits my riding the best. Quiet on road with good manners. I used this tire to do the COBDR and it was great the whole time. I've got 3-4k on it and it barely looks worn.

I run 150/70 rear. It is a taller tire. To get back close to stock gearing go up 2-3 teeth on the rear sprocket. 2 teeth is a littler taller than stock and 3 is a little lower. I'm currently running 2 up rear and go down 1 on the front sprocket when doing a lot off-road.

I have been watching your youtube channel and have pulled the trigger on the same combo. Very impressed with the situations you put that thing in. I have the 705's currently but have been doing as much dirt riding as possible. The "dirt roads" here are mostly packed dirt and loose sand so i needed something that was better suited and due to the fact I haven't burned up the ones I have they needed to be cheap. With 15 bucks of revzilla zilla cash and free shipping I got that combo shipped for $185. That's like a sore pecker,you just can't cant beat it!

I run the following:

120/70/17 Front TKC80
150/70/17 Rear Mitas E-07

Love this combo! Wish there were more options, but these tires ROCK on gravel!

I am ordering another set to be installed in the Spring.

Really wish Mitas would make a 17" front tire for NC.

Back