• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ok, be honest with me...

I'll address rider/passenger comfort as most of your other questions have been answered. I bought a Corbin seat, front and back and the front seat still needed the slope mod. I added the 2" Rox risers and that resolved most of my comfort issues with Highway pegs completing my comfort level. I am thinking about ordering the Russell Day Long seat, but have not pulled the trigger on that yet.

My wife HATED the stock seat to the point that she actually cussed :) She tolerates the Corbin seat a bit more, but the Honda top case does not give her much room as it way closer to the back of the seat than other options like Givi. Also the Honda side cases even with the cutout for her legs are very uncomfortable and actually made me uncomfortable as they pushed her up against me.

I'm 5'10" 200 lbs and my wife is 5'1" 140. The bike has the power to run us anywhere, but not enough space to do that in comfort over long distances.

You will most likely want a different seat and probably some other adjustments like handle bar risers.

I have felt engine heat on my legs, not excessive but the legs don't need it this time of year.

The Honda heated grips have a high failure rate so if you want heated get a different brand.

DCT is flawless and even the getting stuck in gear with engine off is easy to correct as long as battery has good charge.

But really, be honest with me... what are the known, regular problems with this bike?
Is it too hot?
Is the DCT a problem?
Is the engine too weak?
Does it stall in traffic?
Is it uncmfortable?
Are their parts known to break?
If you could do it over again, would you buy something different?

I did not read all the other posts. Going to give you my opinion based off my thoughts and nothing anyone else said. Quick background. Before this bike I had rode nothing smaller than a CRB900RR since the early 90's. Keep that in mind. I bought this bike to commute. I ride rain or shine. I did not buy it to tour on the weekends and I did not buy it to carry a passenger. I did not buy it for fuel economy although that is a major plus. I bought it for commutability.

1. But really, be honest with me... what are the known, regular problems with this bike? The only "PROBLEM" that I'm aware of is on the 2014 model and that is the display. I have not seen a lot of talk about it lately but they've been having trouble with the trip meter resetting which us making it hard to calculate mileage. Outside of that I would say there have been a couple hit and miss things but definitely no other issues. I'm at 16,000 miles and not one issue. Running great.

2. Is it too hot? I live in Arkansas. I would consider it one of the hottest states in the US. Arizona has us all beat. Having said that. I've lived in Louisiana and rode there the three years I lived there. I barely notice the heat from the engine. I can honestly say I have never though "dang this engine is hot". I feel more heat from the wind.

3. Is the DCT a problem? I own a manual but I've been a member here for over a year and I've not heard one negative on the DCT. The opposite actually. I have ready comments about parking in gear with a low battery. Can cause problems starting the next day. From what I read it makes a lot of sense to put her in neutral before shutting her down.

4. Is the engine too weak? Ok, here is where you will get two different opinions and it is the whole reason I put my history. I might get flamed for this but for me the engine is too weak. I like having just enough power to jump on the throttle and powering through a situation. My best example would be if I were in the far right lane and I was closing on a car but there was a car to my left which was about to close the gap so I can't get through. If I don't act quickly I'll have to hit the brakes and wait for the car to my left to pass. Typically I could get on the throttle and power ahead to split that gap. On the NCX you need to plan ahead a little better. Your not going to be able to wait until the last second and power through that. You'll need a little more lead time. More than I used to need. Keep in mind my last two bikes were a CBR954RR and a CBR1000RR. Power wasn't an issue. Having said all that. It has plenty of power for just cruising along and maneuvering through big city traffic. I commute to work everyday through Little Rock, AR. The bike is PERFECT for this type of riding. As a matter of fact I know I prefer it over my CBR for commuting. If both bikes were sitting side by side in the garage I would choose the NCX for my Monday to Friday drive every time. The CBR would be for Sat & Sun. Just my opinion.

5. Does it stall in traffic? Not unless I pull a stupid. No issues here but you don't want to be in 4th gear going 20 either. LOL

6. Is it uncomfortable? I changed the seat and added Rox Risers. That makes me happy but I've never ridden over 8 hours of continuous riding.

7. Are their parts known to break? Couple random things. No epidemics.

8 If you could do it over again, would you buy something different? I plan on buying another bike. Hopefully this winter. I will keep the NCX. Does that answer your question?

This is a bike that must appeal to a well adjusted person's logic center because it will not appeal for long on raw power and flash. It is a 50ish horsepower practical motorcycle that does a lot of things well but doesn't shout out or draw attention when doing so.

Well... it does shout a little bit when you drop your helmet in the frunk, at least that is when strangers over the age of 13 come up to me and say "WHAT IS THAT?!"

As for the well adjusted persons being appealed to I think that is a fair assessment, I think that it shows in the community even that there are plenty of rational, moderately well adjusted people.

I think it is also telling that when people sell their NC (that I've seen) and announce it on the forums here they tend to get a bigger bike to replace it... I feel like the NC has plenty of power for me, but clearly some people want more.

I can't recall any one getting rid of the NC because of the seat (it's fine for me for ~20-60 minutes, and around hour 5 I begin to wonder if I should just stand on the pegs for the rest of the ride)

To answer some of the original questions, I do feel the heat from the bike, it usually feels nice, cause I'm not normally feeling it unless it is cold out.

I have stalled the bike at lights, and stop signs, but that has nothing to do with the bike.

as others have said parts that "break" are normally considered wear items (chain, brake pads, etc.)

If I could do it again, I would buy a winning lottery ticket prior to purchasing the NC and I would have farkled it up right away... as it stands I've got after market luggage, a duck foot, and some electrical work on there. Still on the list is improved wind protection, a better seat, fender extender, highway pegs, bar risers, hand guards, eventually a suspension upgrade (but I figure I'll trash the oem stuff first), and the list goes on from there. (cruise control, two way radio, aux gas tank, etc.)

As for the well adjusted persons being appealed to I think that is a fair assessment, I think that it shows in the community even that there are plenty of rational, moderately well adjusted people......
I actually edited this out my first draft when I said "blah blah blah because it doesn't appeal as a piece of ash jewelry or as a penis extender. For well adjusted folks looking for 50ish hp practical motorcycle.....blah blah blah".

I gave more thought to the question about your wife and you riding the NC700X comfortably together. I know some people do this regularly with success. I guess my wife and I are spoiled because we also have a GL1800. That being an option, we never have and never will use the NC700X for two up. I look at the NC's passenger seat, and I would not want to ride there, nor would I ask anyone else to do so. I have replaced my bike's passenger seat with a luggage rack, so its strictly a solo bike for me.

Unfortunately, bikes that have great passenger accommodations are typically much larger and heavier than the mid sized NC. It's a trade off. Again, my opinion of passenger worthiness of the NC700X is biased because we have a far better choice at our disposal.

To me the bike is a swiss army knife of bikes. It doesn't do anything great, but does everything good. For a 50HP bike, it gets very good gas mileage. For power, I buy slow bikes for a reason, I don't have a healthy respect for the throttle sometimes and if I had the power, I would use it and get into trouble. I ride the bike mostly on the weekends, but have did 800 mile days on the interstate and it has enough power for me-as Sergeant stated, you have to watch your mirrors more if you don't want to get caught behind slower drivers-which doesn't bother me-loosing a few seconds for traffic to me is safer than trying to save a few seconds. More on power-it is faster than my cruiser, has about the same top end, and the NC700x is faster than my Jeep off the line.
Comfort-seat sucks, but I am a cheap b@$tard and still have the stock seat after 14,000 miles (airhawk pad is being delivered this week). I don't think any passenger can be comfortable on that small pillion seat, and any replacements are still too narrow.

Would I buy the bike again? Let's just say I traded in my 2009 BMW G650gs for it and I haven't regretted it one time. Yes I would buy it again. I don't want a DCT, some of my riding I do in the hills and mountains require a lot of feathering of the clutch (just enough to get moving but not too much) which I don't think I could do with the DCT, besides, I like shifting :)

Unless you buy a bike with hydraulic valves (HD) or a bike with Jugs on the motor (BMW), you are not going to find a bike with easier valves checks (ok the Kawi 900 may be easier, but that is a big heavy bastard).
Maneuverability: the bike is easy to ride. I took the advanced MSF course on the bike last year-I dreaded that dang box but the first time thru it, I only used a little over half the box to do the figure 8 and easy peasy-I was amazed on easy it maneuvered thru the course.
The bike is tall, If you has less than a 32" inseam, you may have to use the balls of your feet or learn how to just use one foot down (I like to flat foot both feet and with 32" inseam, I can). The bike can be easily lowered-there are kits out there can do it (my buddy lowered his a couple of inches).

In 5248 miles, I've had ZERO problems with the NC. It is very capable and reliable. I've never done any two up riding on this bike but I have toured, riding 600+ miles in one day. To me, the stock seat isn't at all bad. No 1000 mile days but I am sure the bike would do it without a problem. Gas mileage is outstanding and I am the exception to the great gas mileage everyone else on this site gets. My bad mileage was 45mpg and my best is 81MPG. I'm currently averaging 62mpg. Full coverage insurance is $38/mo and I live in Houston TX, so that is CHEAP considering that I live in an urban area.

The only problem for me personally is horsepower. Living in Texas where speed limits are high and everyone drives well over the limit, the bike is underpowered. My opinion. If I lived closer to curvy roads with lower speed limits, say anyhting below 60mph, this bike would be perfect for that or If the bike had the same hp as the Versys, it may not be an issue. If it made 80-100hp, it certainly wouldn't be an issue. I bought a NEW 2013 Yamaha FZ1, horsepower problem solved.

Knowing what I know now, would I buy an NC again? No, I would not. Its well built and capable but certainly not for me because (for me) it is critically and tragically underpowered. I owned a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM prior and with a better HP to weight ratio, would run circles around the NC. Its hard to gage that on a couple of 2 mile test rides at the dealer because the torque curve is pretty broad.

Last edited:
I have to applaud that last "NO" answer from 12NC700X. That was a thoughtful answer.
Best that the Original Poster should hear both sides.

...something my wife and I can ride together comfortably...

10 minutes down to the store or to the next state? I love my NC, but I've ridden on the back a couple times and it's awful for a passenger. I'm a good several inches taller and many pounds heavier than your wife, but if I'm riding pillion I have to be careful not to kick the calves of whoever's up front. I'm also too old to fold myself quite that much, and even with a custom seat there won't be space to shift position any, as your dimensions will be limited by the need for it to open. If I were going to play passenger for any significant touring, I'd send hubby out for a Goldwing.

In my first review of the bike (after a 100+ mile ride) I commented that the bike was "competent, but not exciting". I also made my next stop the Honda dealership where I bought it, to see if he would take it back in trade for the FZ-09 I originally wanted. I am still working on this "trade". To overcome my initial complaints I have added a center stand, Yoshimura R77 (the stock exhaust is too quiet, but the engine, at idle, is noisy), lowering links (in conjunction with seat slope mod) to get my feet back on the ground and make the bike feel less like a tall dirt bike, adjustable side stand (related to lowering links), and Puig touring windscreen (it's too tall for my liking, so it's coming off.)

That's a lot of mods for a bike I've only owned six weeks. By contrast, the CBR600F4 I owned for 14 years got an Erion Racing exhaust and.... well, nothing else! To me it was perfect out of the crate.

Would I buy an NC700X again if given the option... NO!! It's the wrong bike for ME. It may be perfect for you. I just can't get over all the short comings (already documented by other owners) to make this my dream bike. I don't commute. I don't ride two up. I don't give a rats a$$ about gas mileage. I want a bike for FUN. I really had to push this bike to the limits a couple weeks ago to make my ride FUN (yeah, it WAS), but it was a lot of work, and not what the bike was designed for. Capable, but not easy.

I'm looking forward to getting my CBR back from the shop. I'll keep the NCX until I either get a great offer to buy it, get a deal to trade for an FZ-09, or figure out how to ship it to California to give to my daughter. I may have it in my garage for a while...

Ive had mine since January, a DCT now approaching 4.5k miles.

I could say that there is nothing that I dislike about it* but I can go one further and say that I actually love everything about it.

*apart from the 2014 dash random reset problem which will be resolved one way or another, even if it means I suffer a replacement dash.

In my first review of the bike (after a 100+ mile ride) I commented that the bike was "competent, but not exciting". I also made my next stop the Honda dealership where I bought it, to see if he would take it back in trade for the FZ-09 I originally wanted. I am still working on this "trade". To overcome my initial complaints I have added a center stand, Yoshimura R77 (the stock exhaust is too quiet, but the engine, at idle, is noisy), lowering links (in conjunction with seat slope mod) to get my feet back on the ground and make the bike feel less like a tall dirt bike, adjustable side stand (related to lowering links), and Puig touring windscreen (it's too tall for my liking, so it's coming off.)

That's a lot of mods for a bike I've only owned six weeks. By contrast, the CBR600F4 I owned for 14 years got an Erion Racing exhaust and.... well, nothing else! To me it was perfect out of the crate.

Would I buy an NC700X again if given the option... NO!! It's the wrong bike for ME. It may be perfect for you. I just can't get over all the short comings (already documented by other owners) to make this my dream bike. I don't commute. I don't ride two up. I don't give a rats a$$ about gas mileage. I want a bike for FUN. I really had to push this bike to the limits a couple weeks ago to make my ride FUN (yeah, it WAS), but it was a lot of work, and not what the bike was designed for. Capable, but not easy.

I'm looking forward to getting my CBR back from the shop. I'll keep the NCX until I either get a great offer to buy it, get a deal to trade for an FZ-09, or figure out how to ship it to California to give to my daughter. I may have it in my garage for a while...

My reason for choosing the NCX was for all the reason honda intended the bike to be, commuting, living in CA, having the the chance of lane splitting in our crazy traffic is great, we have one of the highest price for gas, mpg is important.

this is the only bike with a DCT, storage, ABS and 16k valve adjustment. also the way honda has position the engine make this major maint item an easier task. i dont know any other bike that has this combination. the safety of ABS is one of the great thing of this motorcycle. believe we all make mistake and that ABS could save your life. wish they add traction controls to bike in coming years.

if you got an NCX thinking that it was going to be a fun bike. i dont think it is, honda made a commuter. my brother got a fz07. price wise is comparable, but again different bike. no storage, no dct. but otherwise very fun bike due to the weight and short wheel base and better brakes.

so get the bike that will meet YOUR NEEDS, not because of how it looks... if need speed, loud pipes, and racy handling the NC is not it

Last edited:
This thread has been really helpful. Thanks to all who replied. It looks like the NC700X is the bike for me. I'll be finding someplace with a demo to try out soon!

This thread has been really helpful. Thanks to all who replied. It looks like the NC700X is the bike for me. I'll be finding someplace with a demo to try out soon!

Be advised that most Honda Dealers don't allow "Demo or Test Rides". If so, they have so many special requires that takes the fun away. Such as you have to sign a wavier, wear specific gear that you must supply yourself and mileage limits (2 mile loop). That's what I went through with my local dealer.

After my 700 mile 2 day trip, I've gotta say it's one of the most fun bikes I've had, and I've had a few, plus it so versatile. It's affordable, great handling, lends itself to all kinds of storage combinations, fantastic mpg, very low center of gravity. Does it have great acceleration? No but I don;t back off the throttle thru the turns due to it's handling. I have said to myself several times I really love this bike!

That place may well be Craigslist. If you have cash or full coverage insurance (and a motorcycle license), I'm SURE you could get a demo ride.
I bought mine used from the local Suzuki dealer. They let me have a test ride - no problems.

The only thing I have to add is that if you buy a 2014 model new check the tires. If it has the Dunlop trailmax ask the dealer to change them as they wear out way too fast. So much so that Honda has been paying for replacements for some owners.

Back