• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Palmer Products

Scrumpymike, That looks pretty sweet. I've got a few questions for you.
How did you make your inner screen?
Is it structural (metal) or just for shading the dash (plastic or flexible)?
How does the Palmer bracket perform with the Givi Shield? (calm air, buffeting, wind noise, etc.)
Is that the full sized Givi shield or have you trimmed it down at all?

That looks like a very tidy and functional setup. I'd love to hear details!

The site says "optional tool-less adjusters available"

They're an extra £10 and can be selected from the drop-down menu when ordering.

Anybody used this with a Puig (and Dale's plates)?

That drop down was not there when I ordered ... would make it easier to use but doubt if I'd try it again ...UPDATE ... did try again and love it !!!

Last edited:
Cagedodger, I made the inner panel from 2mm-thick semi-rigid plastic roofing material. As well as being weatherproof and uv-resistant, it conforms easily to the curved shape required, is soft enough to cut (I used sheet-metal sheers but a good pair of kitchen scissors should do it) and rigid enough to act as a stable aerofoil surface. I used the small OE screen as a template holding the plastic in place against the curve of the screen with spring-clamps (protect the screen with masking tape first to avoid scratches), marked the screen outline and fixing holes onto the plastic with a white chinagraph pencil, cut out the panel, punched oversized holes in it centred on the originals - job done!! My tip for getting a clean edge on the small-radius curves in the panel outline would be to punch holes of the correct diameter into those locations first so you can cut into the edges of holes with your sheers. As you can see from my pics, I had to make my panel somewhat narrower than the base of the screen because that's how wide my strips of material were!! Actually, that turned out to be a good thing as it allows easier access to the Palmer clamping knobs.

John, not sure if I'm understanding your question properly, but the gap between the clocks and the inner panel I made is the same as between the 'factory' gap between clocks and the original OE screen - in other words, the clocks are still protected from the elements. The large gap where the Palmer brackets separate the inner panel from the screen not only allows wrenches/fingers to access the fixings/adjusting clamps; that extra stand-off from the fairing also locates the screen in a better position further away from the rider for improved protection (you're getting a larger 'wind shadow').

I'm think thinking that the glare issue is a perfect place to use some plasti dip. I think you could just tape off the are you want covered and spray away.

The site says "optional tool-less adjusters available"

They're an extra £10 and can be selected from the drop-down menu when ordering.

Anybody used this with a Puig (and Dale's plates)?

Damn I never saw that .... maybe my eyes are going the same direction as my mind, I ordered them and will give a another attempt latter. After seeing the ones with the knobs in the pictures before this I'm going to give it another try when I get back from CO. Thanks for the heads up .

The manual clamping knobs make all the difference. Can't remember if I mentioned in my earlier post but Palmers supplied me with an extra pair of the screen-side brackets for my OE screen so that I can now do a fast tool-less switch over between small and touring screens.

Any new reviews on using this with a larger windscreen?

I need something, but I'm not sure if it's this or the Madstad

UPDATE .......

Installed the Palmer screen mount today. Went on fairly easily. For those who have or are thinking about getting the MRA Vario-Screen, the screen fits on the Palmer with no problems. I didn't get the quick-adjustment hardware and in hind-sight, that option would make adjustments much easier.

As my seat is not on the bike ( it's out having the padding beefed up ), I didn't get to ride the bike yet with the screen on, so I can't speak to any improvements in positioning.

Anyway............

That drop down was not there when I ordered ... would make it easier to use but doubt if I'd try it again ...

I ordered the tool-less-adjusters and they sent me the whole kit again with the tool-less-adjusters for the 12.00GPB extra (for adjusters only + shipping) . I sent a letter just to make sure is was not a mistake on their part but I'm going to try it again. When I went to the HUG (Horizions Unlimited Gathering) in grant CO with a Wonderlick Wind Deflector it was great until the rain hit and the off road section. I had the remove it so I could see the road ahead well enough to be able to dodge the pot holes and other hazards. Coming back from the HUG I rode through the night and needed the deflector off for same reason but then to make sure I saw the hazards ( Armadillos, alligators and Deer). I did not realize the importance on the X of looking over the shield in those conditions. I'm going to try a the Palmer again and I'll probably change my view point. They sure have great customer support.

Sounds like a company that values your business!
You made a good decision, and I hope it works out for your needs.

I ordered the tool-less-adjusters and they sent me the whole kit again with the tool-less-adjusters for the 12.00GPB extra (for adjusters only + shipping) . I sent a letter just to make sure is was not a mistake on their part but I'm going to try it again. When I went to the HUG (Horizions Unlimited Gathering) in grant CO with a Wonderlick Wind Deflector it was great until the rain hit and the off road section. I had the remove it so I could see the road ahead well enough to be able to dodge the pot holes and other hazards. Coming back from the HUG I rode through the night and needed the deflector off for same reason but then to make sure I saw the hazards ( Armadillos, alligators and Deer). I did not realize the importance on the X of looking over the shield in those conditions. I'm going to try a the Palmer again and I'll probably change my view point. They sure have great customer support.

Palmer Products is run by biking couple Iain and Margaret P (I think you guys would call it a "mom and pop shop") and, in my experience, they treat all their customers like they were friends. Long live the Brotherhood of Bikers - not forgetting the sisters too of course :)

Tried the new Palmer mount at length today. Put about 200+ miles on it in conditions from low-speed urban driving, then out to the country for some hilly twisties and finally went home via an interstate highway, averaging around 70 mph. The difference was really not noticeable much at the lower speeds. Started noticing some difference on down-hill grades in the twisties.

The biggest difference was as I expected.... on the highway. HUGE difference in the way the wind hit my upper torso and helmet. No where near as much buffeting as I had experienced in the past.

Think I'll keep it! :)

Well I installed the new brackets with the tool-less-adjustment knobs. Makes all the difference in the world, better than my Madstad on my old (09) DL650. I was able to adjust the screen from the seat so I can play with it as I need it. Before (no adjustment knobs) I needed to get off and walk around and adjust with allen and wrench...... With the GIVI I have it at the bottom for off-road but when anticipate > MPH I can adjust quickly still seated on the bike. May not be for every one but believe I could have used these with the stock shield and had positive results also. Real positive with the GIVI shield but may be overkill. When it gets cold again I can adjust up quickly and confidently. Sorry i was so negative on the palmer adjusters but without the tool-less-adjuster knobs it is a pain.... spend the extra $ on the tool-less-adjusters and you will like them a lot better. Sad thing is without the tool-less-adjusters I was reluctant to play with the adjustments like I did with the Madstad on my dl650, the tool-less-adjuster knobs make it easy adjust high low and the angle from the seat of the bike so you can see what you are really doing. Thanks to Mike Cash I now have a great product to use. ALSO I would recommend Dale's adapter plates, may not be necessary but really feels more confident with them installed.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me how this attaches to the bike? does it have plate in the back? kind of like "Dale plate" in the rear? or does it use the oem rubber grommets?

Back