• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Persoanl experience NC700 vs. BMW 650 singles

ross

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding a '98 f650 for the last 8 years and put 45,000 miles on it. Mostly around home and short trips with once a year taking a longer 1500-2500 mile trip. I am ready for something newer and like the idea of the NC. I have also considered the Sertao. I have read specs and compared that way but more interested in personal comparisons of the NC to either the old funduro BMWs or the newer g650 bikes. Any one with experience with both care to share?

I had a BMW F650GS (2004 year) prior to buying my NC700S. Actually, not a great difference in performance due to the lower weight of the BMW. The Honda is better on fuel - about 75-80 UK mpg compared to about 70 UK mpg on the BMW. Handling is better on the BMW due to the inferior quality suspension on the Honda, although the Honda can be improved considerably with a better aftermarket rear shock and by using emulators in the forks, which I have done. The big difference is in servicing. While the Honda is fairly simple to service, the BMW, as you are probably aware, is much more complicated. The Honda even has old type screw and locknut adjustment on the valves, which makes it simple and easy to do. As like most Japanese bikes, oil changes are a breeze - only taking about 15 minutes to do unlike the BMW which takes a lot longer as you have to remove a lot of parts (on the 2004 GS) just to perform the oil and filter change. It is worthwhile buying the optional main stand if you buy a new Honda as it makes things a lot easier.

I am not a BMW fan. I have only ever owned two of them in my 45+ years of motorcycling. The very first Funduro was one of them. I didn't have it for long due to issues with the motor (which were a one off) and stem head bearing and fork seal issues which bugged me. However, for the short time that I owned it, it was a hoot to ride. On my favourite backroads I suspect it would be a little quicker than my NC, even when that bike was set up with better suspension. It was just so easy to change direction on it and the Rotax motor was a willing participant. A friend had the Aprilia equivalent and also loved it. However, he does not like the later models of either marque as he feels they have become too refined and dulled down. I recently rode with a friend on his recently acquired elderly Funduro and again on that bike he was flying on the backroads. I was on my Dominator.

Having owned one, I will of course strongly recommend the NC. Glencoeman has covered some good reasons why also. Its quirkiness, economy, low centre of gravity and longevity are good reasons to own one. I would happily do a world tour on an NC. However if I owned a Funduro now, I would have difficulty parting with it. The two bikes are quite different. The Funduro would be a better bike offroad.

My solution, if it could be afforded, would be to keep the 650 and also get an NC. Too many times in my motorcycling lifetime, I have parted with good bikes and regretted it. I accept that at the time, I could not afford to keep more than one bike. However, now that I can, I am doing so.

All of the similarities and differences were covered pretty well by Griff and glencoeman. I'll just add this:

I had a 2007 650GS and loved it. It was my first bike, and I loved everything about it. That is until it developed the chronic water pump seal issue. I had to rebuild the water pump every 3000 miles, and I did that for a long time before I finally snapped and bought another bike. I've owned several bikes since then, but was never passionate about any of them until I bought my NC. It doesn't do twisties quite as well as the GS, and, except for the easy maintenance, it's slightly better in every other way. An because it's only slightly better, it's almost a lateral move from one bike to the other.

I would like to add that the GS was not what I wanted for my first bike. What I really wanted was a 650CS but I couldn't find one. If you really want to compare the NC to another bike it's the CS. So in that way, when I bought the NC, I actually bought a more reliable version of the bike I really wanted to begin with.

Thanks for the replies. I am disappointed to hear the NC has less zip than the funduro. I was thinking with the parallel twin it might have more. I did my own maintenance on the funduro and did not find it hard to work on, but looked at how to check valves on a sertao and it looked like something I would want to take to a shop. I can afford a bigger bike like the new Africa Twin, Triumph tiger XC800, or BMW f800GS. But just not convinced I need to spend that much or get the extra complicated systems that come with them. I also like the better mileage of the NC or BMW singles. I have liked the BMW brand and my wife also rides a f650 and we have a 1974 R90/6. We have enjoyed going to BMW rallies and like being part of that community, but I am not so brand blind that I don't want to look at other bikes- especially as the BMW's keep getting more expensive, more complicated and less reliable. I would be able to keep the funduro- at 67,000 miles it is pretty low in value- but the reliability issues with a thumper that is approaching 20 years old with that high of miles are what has me looking for a replacement.

I like to say that the NC is the 'Honda Civic' of motorcycles.

Cheap, reliable, easy to maintain, great gas mileage. You won't win races with it, but it won't screw your wallet or send you to the ground either.

It's perfect for someone who wants to commute or enjoys cruising at less than freeway speeds.

The DCT and frunk are great and there's so many things you can bolt to it.

I tried several recent G650GS / Dakar cycles. I didn't notice any performance advantages. And when I was researching to buy the fuel economy was good but not like the Honda's. I also found a number of instances where the axle holders had broken off the forks and had caused personal injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I mentioned that the 650 might be slightly quicker on a backroad, on freeways and the like the NC has a stronger motor with a higher, less stressed cruising speed. I think the best way forward is to ride one.

Rode my son's 2004 650 GS Dakar (21" front wheel) for a couple of weeks Single cylinder needs getting used to, but definitely more fun to ride than the NC (and off-road capable).

On any road other than highway, Dakar beats NC hands down.

Too many times in my motorcycling lifetime, I have parted with good bikes and regretted it. I accept that at the time, I could not afford to keep more than one bike.
A bit off topic but coming from a '98 Domie I wish I could have kept it besides the DR650, one for ON-off and the other for OFF-on use.
I was going to ask about Domie-vs-NC but you have the best Domie ever, the '89 so I guess not enough relation to my yester'98 to make the question...
If only I had kept the '89 CRM250 along the Domie...
[/offtopic]

I've had, in this order, an F650CS, a CB500X and an NC750X.

I thought the 650CS was an awesome bike, handled really well and I loved the quirky styling and innovative thinking behind it. Didn't enjoy commuting on it though, the engine didn't seem all that suited to stop start traffic, and mine had an incurable habit of cutting out at inconvenient moments (like when the lights changed - and if I didn't wait 10 seconds to restart it wouldn't idle at all, which was a bit stressful when people were waiting for me to get going.) On the highway though it was great, and I did quite a bit of touring on it, including ocassional gravel roads and a trip down 90 mile beach in northern NZ (which is still part of the highway network here) and the bike handled this with applomb despite its road bias eg belt drive.

Come 2013 it was 10 years old by then, so I started looking for an upgrade. The NC seemed like the perfect replacement, but the dealer had me test ride a CB500X as well and I got seduced by its lightness, 'peppy' engine and especially its lower price tag into buying one. It was a great bike too, so much smoother than the beemer (which felt like a tractor when they gave me my old bike as a loaner when I was getting the CB serviced) and very willing. However after about 15,000kms I started to miss the good side of the CS's 'tractor' nature, which for me was the twist and go nature of the engine. The CB needed to be stirred along more through the gears.

So when a slightly used NC750X turned up at a local dealer I traded the CB. The 750's engine is much more like the BMW in my opinion, languid but smooth in its power delivery, if not quite as punchy, plus it has the frunk. The only thing that niggles me about the NC is the extra weight, but as many have said it carries it well.

Thanks again for the replies. The only NC I have found at a relatively nearby dealer is a new 2014. I hate to ask to test ride a bike with 0 miles unless I am ready to buy it, and I am not there yet. I'd like to find a used one to ride- I have no qualms about taking a used bike for a ride just to see if I like it. Right now I am working some long hours- hard for me to get anywhere to ride during business hours- so trying to do some research here and on ADV.

I did manage to test ride a 2013 DC model today. It was underwhelming as far as acceleration, a disappointment. The DCT was surprisingly smooth. I found the ergos comfortable for the short ride. I can see the attraction, but I think I will go back to looking at somewhat more powerful bikes. Thanks to all who have give me input. You have a nice forum here.

Try the F700GS or F800GS if you don't want to go with the big dollar and super heavy 1200. Those are really sweet parallel twins from BMW that are great on or off road. The also possess superior horsepower, torque, and suspension compared to the NC. If money is not an issue I think you would be very pleased with either of those bikes. If you want a DCT transmission and a bike that's got good low end torque but is gutless at higher revs, reliable, and cheap and easy to maintain the NC is probably the best bargain out there. The DCT is really what sold me. It put a ton of joy back into riding for me as shifting has become painful for me now. I also like the fact that I never have to think about stalling ever again. It wasn't a problem for me when I was younger but my carpal tunnel pain was starting to make stalling a factor. Sorry for the extended post. It's been a while since I have commented/posted.

Try the F700GS or F800GS if you don't want to go with the big dollar and super heavy 1200. Those are really sweet parallel twins from BMW that are great on or off road. The also possess superior horsepower, torque, and suspension compared to the NC. If money is not an issue I think you would be very pleased with either of those bikes. If you want a DCT transmission and a bike that's got good low end torque but is gutless at higher revs, reliable, and cheap and easy to maintain the NC is probably the best bargain out there. The DCT is really what sold me. It put a ton of joy back into riding for me as shifting has become painful for me now. I also like the fact that I never have to think about stalling ever again. It wasn't a problem for me when I was younger but my carpal tunnel pain was starting to make stalling a factor. Sorry for the extended post. It's been a while since I have commented/posted.

Yes, those are high on my list. I test rode a F800GS at a BMW rally and really liked it. Plenty of power for me. The big GS's just seem too much in many ways; wt., complexity, power, and cost. I am a little frustrated with the increased complexity of newer BMW's, and lack of nearby dealer support has me looking at other brands; Triumph tiger 800XCx or Honda Africa Twin are high on the list. I can afford it, I just have a little trouble spending more than I need to on a "toy". I will probably be watching classifieds for a low mileage, pre-farkled, relatively new bike when ready to make the jump.

Just to clarify for the non-beemer types out there. The F650GS was a de-tuned 800cc twin (similar to the F700GS). The G650GS is a thumper. I think the thumper version has about the same power as the NC. The twin should be noticeably faster.

Just to clarify for the non-beemer types out there. The F650GS was a de-tuned 800cc twin (similar to the F700GS). The G650GS is a thumper. I think the thumper version has about the same power as the NC. The twin should be noticeably faster.

My F650GS was a thumper.

Like Nerrrd, I also owned a F650CS perviously. It was a nice thumper - a 2003 model. It took me everywhere within Texas - I had a Goldwing back then for a longer trips. The only time it stranded me was when the battery died and couldn't start the bike. I had a voltmeter onboard so I knew it wasn't the stator or regulator. It was the end of the battery's life.

I love the belt drive of CS. It required no maintenance. I didn't care for the valve adjustment with the shims. In contrast, NCx is a chain drive - maintenance is required there. The valve adjustment is nuts and screws - a lot easier. The thumper did not like to run at 80 mph all day. I would do 70 all day, but not 80. I feel comfortable doing 80 all day on NC - although mpg sucks at that speed. Both CS and NCx have nice front luggage area - very convenient.

BUT you are talking about Sertao. Are you going to do lots of off road? Then definitely get Sertao. You'll get a lighter bike, 21 inch front wheel and better ground clearance. (according to the specs.) Trust me, NCx is NO OFF ROAD BIKE! I just came back from 3,000 mile Colorado trip and I learned it hard way. =( During this trip, my buddy rode his rented G650GS and had no problem following me in the highway doing 75. I was quite impressed.

After riding Colorado, I have three wishes for my NCx - 19 inch front tire, more ground clearance and higher exhaust mount. Sertao has them all. BUT I love my DCT. It ran GREAT off road. It handled it very well.

28657340025_e1cc3e7a90_z.jpg

Good luck!

Back