• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Phases and Change

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
The weight difference being discussed was between the NC and the AT, not between the 6M and DCT on the AT.

No, you wouldn't notice the 23 lbs. It is just 23 lbs. So then from there, you should not notice an additional 23 lbs., because it is also just 23 lbs. Continuing the logic you can add as much weight as you want and you will never notice it. I think that may be how the 650 lb. GL1000 in 1975 became the 900 lb. GL1800 in 2016. Just be sure that you can bench press it before you buy one.
Given that Honda sells approximately about twice as many Goldwings each year on the US than BMW sells in total there must be a lot of buff Honda owners.

I do not have to worry about dropping my bike. The way I ride, I know I will drop my bike. At my age, with my bad knees, I can not even pickup my 125cc dirt bike by myself any more. However, I will never give up my way of life. When I drop the bike, always someone has helped me upright the bike. Recently, nice folks have helped me pick up my NC7 in Mexico, Canada, and the good old USA. Yes, there has been times that I have had to just go to sleep on the ground next to my motorcycle until someone comes along to help!

It is bad enough that I am lusting over the new Honda Africa Twin 1000 motorcycle, but I am also lusting over the new KLIM Honda Africa Twin Apparel Line. Everything, even the gloves.

Given that Honda sells approximately about twice as many Goldwings each year on the US than BMW sells in total there must be a lot of buff Honda owners.

Yep and in 2017 when it gets the rear seat infotainment system and weighs 923 lbs., they can exclaim "I don't even notice the extra weight!"

ETA: Thanks for deleting the long diatribe by foul-mouthed Chris Harris delineating all the reasons why post-2005 BMW's are total crap, as it has nothing to do with this discussion. After watching a few Chris Harris videos most sensible people have had enough of him.

Last edited:
For me, as cool as I think the AT is, (and beautiful- I think it's one gorgeous looking piece of kit) I'm afraid it just doesn't stir my soul either.

For some strange quirk of fate or physiology, I don't mind the NC's dreaded killer seat. I don't find the slope an issue, either. I have no problems with the size or shape of the little postage stamp windscreen, it seems to neither help nor hinder, but is neutral for me. I don't carry passengers, and I have zero interest racing or trying to keep up with other bikes anyway, but having said that, I've never noticed any problems with passing or anything else detrimental to my forward locomotion on or off road, power-wise.

It self limits me off the beaten path, and I've realized that's for the best. My phase change, is finally deciding if I can't get where I want to go on the NC, then it's best to live and fight another day. I got all of the hard core single track stuff out of my system years ago on my DR350, so anything less than that capability seems to be a bit lacking anyway. The prowess of the AT could not help me out drastically in the conditions right up to where I would be stopped on the NC, and I don't want to be getting into more gnarly terrain after that anyway. For sure not on a 500+ lb hideously expensive and very complicated top heavy litre sized monster.

It's not as if I would be treating the AT differently as far as my camping and luggage stuff, so it strikes me as counterproductive to still have all the same gear loaded up which is very off road unfriendly in the first place, which would then hobble it's capabilities, in trying to get to even more difficult places off road.

I don't do any grand touring across the continent like I used to, and I don't commute on my NC. For me, now, I literally couldn't find a better, more perfect ride for exactly how and where I like to do the two wheeled enjoyment thing. :D

Again, absolutely nothing against the 'Twin, just my personal current space and time take, on how it would effect me.

Yep and in 2017 when it gets the rear seat infotainment system and weighs 923 lbs., they can exclaim "I don't even notice the extra weight!"

ETA: Thanks for deleting the long diatribe by foul-mouthed Chris Harris delineating all the reasons why post-2005 BMW's are total crap, as it has nothing to do with this discussion. After watching a few Chris Harris videos most sensible people have had enough of him.
Most, but not all. Or is that many, but not all?

My focus is on getting out and riding. I take that lesson from OCR. Getting a new machine and customizing it would just add more work and hassle to an already overly full schedule. I would rather ride what I have than spend time in the garage.

Last edited:
Back