• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PLASTI-DIP - the MATTE BLACK edition.....

[B][COLOR=BLUE][U]WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF YOUR NC ?!?![/COLOR][/U][/B]

• YES !!! She's pretty, but could use a little freshening up....

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • NO !!! ... I Love it.... just the way it is....

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters
How many cans did you use?
Mike

On the whole bike... It took about 15 cans... But i messed up a couple times and had to start over on a few pieces.. more than once :/ ,, There are definitely some learning curves... 1 can will give you about 1 good coat on the 12 plastics...

I have about 12-15 coats on some pieces... but it was the only way to make sure it would be durable...

Jay... your estimation for number of cans for a tail tidy?

I'd say 1 would be enough to do about 10 coats on just the tail tidy..... 2 would be safe and more than enough for some mistakes and restarts......

I also want to put a clear coat on... for more protection... I tried the Rustoleum matte clearcoat, but it SUCKED !!! left white powdery residue... I had to wipe it quickly and spray over with plasti dip.. I think regular clear might work fine.. but i am kind of scared to mess up the job i did and have to restart.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

I'll start the experiment with my Trek bicycle anyway. Finally will be matte-black.

Learning from all mistakes (thatI will definitely make), the next step will be motorcycle parts.

And because my bike will be factory black/black I think ca 15 cans should do, right?

I also want to put a clear coat on... for more protection... I tried the Rustoleum matte clearcoat, but it SUCKED !!! left white powdery residue... I had to wipe it quickly and spray over with plasti dip.. I think clear might work fine.. but i am kind of scared to mess up the job i did and have to restart.....

No stock parts left that could be plasti-dipped and clear-coated as lab-rats?

Jay Fridays,
How do you clean the Plasti-Dip when you get mud, bugs, or oil on your black bike? Can you use soap and water, or do you need a jet water washer? Or can you just use a wet cloth to remove the grim?

I also want to put a clear coat on... for more protection... I tried the Rustoleum matte clearcoat, but it SUCKED !!! left white powdery residue... I had to wipe it quickly and spray over with plasti dip.. I think regular clear might work fine.. but i am kind of scared to mess up the job i did and have to restart.....

The DipYourCar folks don't recommend a standard clear coat because it makes peeling the Plasti Dip off a pain. Plasti Dip makes a Glossifier that works really well and leave the Plasti Dip peelable when you don't want it anymore.

[video=youtube;vvkq-qyY9aY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY[/video]

Jay Fridays,
How do you clean the Plasti-Dip when you get mud, bugs, or oil on your black bike? Can you use soap and water, or do you need a jet water washer? Or can you just use a wet cloth to remove the grim?

I just used my hose with a wide spray pressure nozzle.. And i armorall the stock black plastics

The DipYourCar folks don't recommend a standard clear coat because it makes peeling the Plasti Dip off a pain. Plasti Dip makes a Glossifier that works really well and leave the Plasti Dip peelable when you don't want it anymore.

I know, but I It's even more of a pain to take off the plastics and re-dip because you scratched the plastic.

Cars are not as susceptible to abrasion as a bike is. You are constantly strattled on the bike with legs rubbing on the sides. You are putting things in and out of the narrow trunk opening, and passengers legs are laying on and rubbing(with the vibration of the bike) the side handles as they ride along, etc.

Also, In the video they use a paint gun. THis leaves coats about 10x thicker than a rattle-can coat. Even when I used 10 coats on the bike, it still seemed a bit vulnerable to me. And not as durable as the video shows. Maybe if you have a gun, this would offer beter protective layers.

THe clear coat gives GREAT protection. I have peeled off the dip with clear on the tail piece cause I wasn't happy with it. It came off in small pieces, but it really was not that difficult, just took more time... But honestly, the extra time spent peeling when you want to change color is definitely worth the added protection and prevention of having to repaint due to damage.... Just my opinion.

I know, but I It's even more of a pain to take off the plastics and re-dip because you scratched the plastic.
THe clear coat gives GREAT protection. I have peeled off the dip with clear on the tail piece cause I wasn't happy with it. It came off in small pieces, but it really was not that difficult, just took more time... But honestly, the extra time spent peeling when you want to change color is definitely worth the added protection and prevention of having to repaint due to damage.... Just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am considering going Yellow Blaze in the winter during the 4 weeks or so where it won't be practical to ride. All info is good info.

Think I'll go with the Blaze Blue. Just gotta check if I can use the pearl and clear both or just either/or. Think it'll look good in blue.

That's is an awesome choice !!
1) Blue is my favorite color
2) I want to see the NC in blue (your bike can be the guineapig...lol)

You should be able to use the pearl and then clear over everything for protection...

Pictures please

Update....

Using ArmorAll wipes on the Plasti-Dip makes it look AWESOME !!!!!

Looks so smooth and clean... I love this stuff.....

I am incredibly happy with how the bike came out, and I get compliments daily !!!

Where are the pictures?! Glad it is working out. I plastidipped the frunk lid a couple months ago, and it is holding up well. I am about ready to pick up some black and gunmetal to do the rest of the silver parts.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Where are the pictures?! Glad it is working out. I plastidipped the frunk lid a couple months ago, and it is holding up well. I am about ready to pick up some black and gunmetal to do the rest of the silver parts.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have a bunch of pics earlier in this thread... here is the plastic surgeon before/after
Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 9.53.19 PM.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg

I'm in the process of turning my silver NC red. Plasti Dip is cool! I will post pictures when I get finished. I almost went with camo green but found cans of red locally. If I get tired of red I will switch colors. Did I mention that this stuff is cool?
Mike

Back