• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Porous wheel

Haven't heard of a porous one yet, but air leaks at the tire bead are common due to rim corrosion.

Haven't heard of a porous one yet, but air leaks at the tire bead are common due to rim corrosion.

This is currently happening with my front wheel. I assume it is rim corrosion or possibly the rubber valve holder.

My bike (with TKC80's mounted) has been sitting for a few months now, and I noticed the front tire was flat the other day. :(

I have also had the tires on my 2007 CBR constantly lose air a bit at a time for as long as I've owned it no matter what type or brand, and no matter how carefully I have inspected, sanded/smoothed the rim bead areas. New valve stems didn't solve the issue either.

My bike (with TKC80's mounted) has been sitting for a few months now, and I noticed the front tire was flat the other day. :(

That is exactly what I found after two months while my forks were being modified. It is currently losing a couple of pounds per week.

Sold my NC a while back. My Dad has a 2012 NC, purchased new, the rear looses 2 -3 lbs a week since new. I think he has around 20K on it now.

I lose a bit, too. Just have to remember that this isn't my other Honda (my Ridgeline), it's my NCX; gotta pump the tires up regularly. :-/

Next time y'all swap tires, clean the edge of the wheel where the bead mounts up really well -- I used a scrubby pad to scuff it up and give it a key. Swap out the old valve stems as well if you don't already. When the temps stay steady I don't lose but maybe 1-2 psi/month.

trey

I lose about 6 psi a month on my front wheel with a Conti Motion, so I check it weekly. It is a rim leak. The back has never given a problem through several tire changes.

Tires should loose about a pound per month on average. No tire seals perfectly. That is why we check the air pressures before every ride. Right guys? :rolleyes:

I find that if I ride every day the tire pressure stays pretty constant - within a half pound. If the bike sits a couple or three days, it tends to go down a pound or two. Running Conti Motions since August.

I have a '12 bought new in '13. The rear tire has lost 2 to 3 lbs per week since new, while the front never looses air. Over the Winter the rear will drop to 10lbs...so maybe there is something not quite right.

T

I have a '12 bought new in '13. The rear tire has lost 2 to 3 lbs per week since new, while the front never looses air. Over the Winter the rear will drop to 10lbs...so maybe there is something not quite right.

T

Dip it in a water tank and look for bubbles. On a very slow leak you have to be patient and look for bubble formation. Any kind of debris under the bead or a bead deformation can cause a slight loss, as can a loose or defective valve. Porous wheels are a possibility, but I don't recall of hearing any problems with these. In that case, the inside surface can be painted with sealer.

I recently changed my own rear tire and found a few 'enlightening' things about the rim. I have the same symptoms: losing about a 1-2lbs of air a week.
On the NCX rear rim, I'm not sure if it was done by sloppy work at eh dealer, (since I noticed it when I had my 2nd set of tires put on), or its the rim casting, but there is a...um wish I had a pic, like a bad casting pot-hole?...right in the rim's Bead Seat area. :( Living with it isn't much of an issue, YET!

my car troubles me. Leaky - allegedly via the TPMS sensor or stem.

Bike loses some air too, not enough to worry me as I have to top up a PSI or two every 3 or four weeks.

I'm told it is more likely leaking past the bead, next would come the stem area and rarely the wheel's themselves.

T

The same here on my 2013. The rear has been doing that since new but front is fine. It seems to lose less if its ridden regularly for some reason. I've just been pumping it up before I ride it/living with it.

Back