• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Potential NC700X buyer

Seed

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing an NC700X. I currently ride a 2003 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. Physical size wise, the 2 bikes are about the same. I would lose about 70cc engine size wise (747cc vs 670cc).

One thing about the Nighthawk is it is a 5 speed and geared such that in normal riding you are in 5th gear by 40mph and as you go faster you wish it had a 6th gear. So for “around town” riding, you are doing a lot of upshifting and down shifting. And “cruising” at 60mph +, you wish it had another gear.

So I am trying to get an idea what the NC700X is like. I read that it has good torque at lower RPMs but does redline at 6500. With that said, what is it like for around town riding. As an example, how high in MPH can you be going before you need to upshift say from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd, then 3rd to 4th and so on. So this would be for what I will call “normal, around town riding”….meaning I’m not blasting it off the line, just accelerating in “average” fashion. I wish to know if it will still be a lot of shifting up and down between 0 and say 45 MPH. Again, not blasting off the line. I would suspect some short shifting would be needed if wanting to accelerate very quickly due to 6500 redline.

Secondly…what then is this bike like cruising on the highway? At what speed might you be putting it into 6th gear? How does it cruise at 70-75MPH? What is the RPM in that speed range.

I ask because the Honda dealer does not allow a test drive.

If anyone lives near Baltimore, MD and would be willing to let me try theirs, that would be OK…HA HA!

Thanks !

Seed

You could consider the DCT model and not have to worry about shift points unless you choose too. Just a thought. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy t.

I usually shift into second around 20. I couldn't tell you the others, but she cruises happily at 45 in 5th gear (2,700ish) 70-75mph finds me in 6th gear around ~4,000rpm, still happy. I go into 6th gear around 50, but some will go in around 45ish.

The fun thing about this engine is that you really don't have to shift a lot unless you're really flogging it. 2nd or 3rd will do just fine in slow traffic. Yesterday, I forgot to shift down at the gas station. I pulled away from the pump in 3rd. No big deal. There's plenty of torque.

Drdubb came from a Nighthawk. Maybe he'll see your post and give you a better firsthand perspective.

Last edited:
I do a lot of around town riding for my job. I shift at 3,000 RPM not matter what gear I'm in.
(I have never come close to the rev limiter) 6th gear is for 45 MPG and above.

On the Freeway, I like to Cruise at 70 MPH at about 4,000 RPM.

This riding style buys me 65 MPG avg. I hope that helps!

I'm with StatTuner. I ride pretty much the same way though I don't think about it much anymore. Uphill into the wind trying to pass a semi is not always fun but it works.

I ride the DCT model and just returned from a 2500 mile ride from South Florida to North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina and back. Going up I was on the Florida Turnpike and I-75. Returning I was on mostly rural roads until Jacksonville and then it was I-95 down to Fort Lauderdale. Of course, Atlanta on to Fairmount, GA and north was rural roads. As was the case for almost all of the rest of the ride into Tennesse, North Carolina, Virginia, etc.

On the interstates, I ran in D mode. In the twisty area I ran in S mode and would use the paddle shifters to down shift (or up shift) over riding S mode. This was mainly in the sharpest of mountain curves.

Once you ride the DCT model for awhile it becomes quite clear (at least to me) that Honda has given the NC700/CTX700 and maybe the new African Twin the best of both worlds. On the interstates in D I can cruise well past the posted limit into expensive citiation territory with no problem....of course I do not do this.

For around town riding, D fits the bill, or one can always go to total manual mode.

A friend of mine, just transitioned from a Honda Nighthawk 750 to a manual NC700X and is well pleased with his choice.

Hello.....thanks all for the replies...appreciated for sure!

I should have stated I would purchase the manual transmission.

Yes, I am really trying to avoid too much shifting between 0-45MPH....if I can stay in 3rd say at 45 without being near redline would be great.....and if I can cruise on the highway at 70-75 to be staying at "average" highway speeds is also a bonus.

Any more input welcomed...thanks to all!

Any more replies appreciated...thanks!

Most of my shifting is done at 4,000 rpm. I accelerate fairly quickly, so it is difficult for me to shift between 2-3,000.

I do a lot of around town riding for my job. I shift at 3,000 RPM not matter what gear I'm in.
(I have never come close to the rev limiter) 6th gear is for 45 MPG and above.

On the Freeway, I like to Cruise at 70 MPH at about 4,000 RPM.

This riding style buys me 65 MPG avg. I hope that helps!

same here, 3k RPM is kinda sweet spot for this bike.

i think one way to put it is that the NC really feel like a car.

have you driven a honda civic or toyota corolla or 4 cyl camry ?

well it feel like that.... but a bit faster.... just like a car it shift around 2k-3k... a car touches it last gear pretty soon... even at 40 mph.... the nc is the same. just treat the rpm range like you are driving a car.

with the nc, i have chosen a DCT version for this reason. you have to shift a lot on the NC in the street....

I have the manual version: 75mph in 6th gear=4000rpms, heck, 85mph in 6th gear is less than 5000 rpms, at that, 100mph in 6th gear is 6000rpms (actually a little less). At 45mph, I like being in 4th gear; 4th gear at 45mph is approx. 3100-3400 rpm. 45mph in 3rd gear is around 4500 rpms. Memorial Day weekend I did 1400 miles in 37 hours (including a 12 hour break at the hotel). On the return trip, I ran I-40 from Memphis TN to Nashville TN at 84mph for 200 miles. No problem. During this trip, I ran all 441 miles of the Natchez Trace (8 hours) running 40-60 mph (I know, above the speed limit of 40-50-depending on location); no problem with the shifting/gearing I was running at (50-60mph=5th gear, 40-50mph=4th gear).

thanks mreric.....you imply there would be a lot of shifting between 0-45 (regardless of RPM)

and some others say they are shifting at 3000 RPM....OK, so if you are shifting at 3000 RPM, what gear are you in at 45MPH.

Again, I have a bike that I am in 5th by 45, and am trying to avoid that...was hoping the NC might be fine and dandy being in 3rd at 45MPH without RPMs being too high.

The bike makes usable power from 2000 - 6500 RPM. You can really shift it as much or as little as you want. At any road speed you could probably have your choice of three different gears. You can even take off in second, pull the clutch and click it twice straight to fourth if you want.

Last edited:
thanks mreric.....you imply there would be a lot of shifting between 0-45 (regardless of RPM)

and some others say they are shifting at 3000 RPM....OK, so if you are shifting at 3000 RPM, what gear are you in at 45MPH.

Again, I have a bike that I am in 5th by 45, and am trying to avoid that...was hoping the NC might be fine and dandy being in 3rd at 45MPH without RPMs being too high.

At 45 MPH you'd be going into or already be in 5th. So I think 4th gear on the NC is what you'd be looking to stay in around town. The NC would probably not mind you riding between 25-45 MPH in 4th without downshifting (assuming flat and level terrain). -Jim

There is a rather subtle difference between the Nighthawk and the NC700X. Hard to describe but it has been a few years since I had a Nighthawk so you really need to find someone in your area to trade bikes for a short test ride. I love the NC700X for the reasons noted by the others and the super COG, but then I'm trying to down size from a GL1800 .... There are so many nice rides out there under 9000.00 that I'd make sure I'd get a ride before I bought.... maybe better to find a dealer in another part of the country or a used one to drive before you buy anything .... I love mine but then I'm 70 and going fast is not that important to me ... :) Good luck

Hello again....

Thanks for the replies....it sems I will get a chance to ride an NC700X...found a dealer who rents bikes and he has one of these...probably going out tomorow....will let you know how it goes.

When you get your new bike, put a 39 tooth rear sprocket on it.
This will help gears go farther before shifting.

I'm new to my DCT but already find memories of when/how to shift to be kind of like memories of how to start a big-bore single on a cold morning with a kick starter and manual choke and spark advance. Other than an occasional paddle downshift entering corners or approaching a stop, I let Honda's engineers take care of things. RPM and gear selection never enters my mind--I rarely look at the RPM, and when I do it's only out of curiosity. Put it in D mode on the highway and S mode in traffic and twisties, and enjoy the scenery. I highly recommend that anyone considering an NC be open minded and try the DCT. If you want to ride like you're on a sport bike, you'll probably hate it. Otherwise you may, as I was, be surprised and converted.

As always, the above is IMO. YMMV. Flames unnecessary.

Back