• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quick question re: Givi and Honda top case

• Thread starter Deleted member 4372
  • Start date
I think you will be ok installing the 1111KIT under the Honda rack rails, since as was pointed out earlier, they do mount Under the Honda rails and sit on the frame.

You mentioned possibly raising the rails or brackets, but that probably won't work because the seats would no longer fit if you raised the rails any more than the thickness of the Givi hardware.

I'll have wait until I have parts in-hand to know what's required. I know I'll get things working if I take a good long look, test fit multiple times and ways and the, after careful study, start doing things.
I usually mess up by working without enough thinking and then moving too fast.

I think you have this all figured out..... but there WAS one more option... SELL the Honda top case and BUY a Givi to replace it. The Honda Top case would probably bring enough to buy a Givi.

After having used Givi cases on several bikes I will say that once you start migrating to future bikes you will see the value of sticking with ONE case... usually NOT the Factory case (as it may only fit that brand or that specific bike) It is MUCH cheaper moving Givi or other popular aftermarket cases from bike to bike than doing a custom setup. However... if you do not plan on selling this bike and moving the cases... none of that matters.

I will say that I took this whole future-proof idea one step further back when I had my VFR. I bought the Givi Wingrack. It is a one piece rack that with a kit will mount to many different bikes. Unfortunately Givi did not decide to make a fitment kit for the NC700X so I had to buy their 2 kits to mount my cases.

For someone who expects to have more bikes in their future and wants to use their current cases, I would strongly advise choosing to get all of the same case so you will keep your costs lower when you move them to future bikes.

On average the Givi plastic cases weight 11 lbs. and the aluminum cases weight 7 lbs. Givi weight a bit more, but they hold up a lot better in crashes.

yeah, I'm keeping my givis from my wee strom. but the top box I have now is less than the Honda's quality.

yeah, I'm keeping my givis from my wee strom. but the top box I have now is less than the Honda's quality.

Exactly. The Givi's cross-bike flexibility is useful and worthwhile enough that they are the best option for some. The bike-specific Honda cases are better engineered, built, and integrated, which makes them the best option for others. It is the aftermarket cases, not the Hondas, that go flying from time to time when someone is riding down the freeway. The one on this forum was a Givi, IIRC.

Thanks, Harvey--
I scoured that thread and the biggest Givi cases I found were those 35L cases you point to. Mine are the E41s, a bit bigger, sort of like a really big hernia on the side of the bike.
My racks arrive (from Italy: MotoSotrm- recommended!) on Tuesday. I'll post here on how things go.
Thank you!

Well, I can recommend MotoStorm in Italy. Package arrived four days early in great condition.
Installation went fairly well, apart from the usual losing a nut to the innards of body pieces and the other usual vagaries of home-wrenching by someone at no risk of losing amateur status.
Mounted the E41s and quickly saw a problem: the latch wouldn't raise: blocked by the Honda hand grip arm. Hmm.
Fortunatley, I was able to unlock the latch and press the button so the case came off. Whew!
I didn't need much clearance. About two washers worth. Rummaging in the washer bucket soon gave me eight. Two on each of two central bolts and, voila, cases mount and the latch opens.
The guy who put the Givis on the Wee Strom which I bought goobered up the Admore lighting attachment point. They interfered with locking the cases to the racks, so I pressed the contact (a press and twist affair) back into the case. Click, it latched.
I've got an Admore wiring kit on the way, so I should be able to get things done right, with the inconvenience of a hole in each case I'll need to patch.
All that is to say the Givi mounting pieces for the NC with a Honda OEM top case work a treat without any carving of anything.

Back