• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ram Mount Universal X-grip - Dang!

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I have been using the x-grip for a few weeks now and thought it was just fine.

Today I was bopping along happy and all at about 50mph and crossed a set of railroad tracks. These tracks are not that bad, as tracks go, and of course the bike got the usual "rattle" as it crossed. Well, the iPhone just rattled itself out of the the X-grip and I was lucky enough to grab it before it went to ground. Whew!

Now I will have to see about a mount for it that holds better. Crap.

RAM-HOL-UN10BUIU2.jpg

Don't know what to do. I see this.
RAM Model Specific Form-Fitted Cradle for the Apple iPhone 6 Plus WITHOUT CASE, SKIN OR SLEEVE

RAM-HOL-AP19UIU2.jpg

But it says "WITHOUT CASE, SKIN OR SLEEVE"

Since I am a holster guy and don't really want to take it out of the sleeve that locks in the holster every time I get on the bike and put it back every time I get off the bike, I think I am SOL.

Does anybody know of a secure clamp that will fit a 1" ball like Ram uses?

Other than that the only thing I can think of is rubber bands across the grips which will make it impossible for me to touch the lower left corner to control the screen when in maps.

Crap!

Maybe using the X mount horizontally could be an option.
I have used mine vertically for years and have never had an issue.

only issue I've ever had with the x grip was when I didn't put the phone in right... only 2 of the 4 grips were gripping.... thankfully I caught it before it fell...

I recommend slip grip. It has a ram mount ball and is made for you phone.I rode out to Ark on the TAT with no problems.

I've had the X-mounts for several years now and it has never dropped my phone. Right now I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 in an otter box case mounted horizontally. Been off road and normally commute on some pretty crappy roads and several RxR crossings. It has never failed me yet and it keeps a good grip on my phone. At times I have thought about using some 3M Dual lock on the back, just to be absolutely sure it doesn't come out, but I don't think want it on the back of my phone case when it's not on the bike.

I have used rubber bands to go between the posts to hold the phone in better when I am on gravel roads. I also have my x-grip 90 degrees turned from the first picture.

I just got this mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QD8Q5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_1d86vbDWWER1A
So far it is very secure. You do need to purchase a ball for the back, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KO5XVU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Zf86vb69XT18Z

I think, NO, I know I would have bought this one if I had known about it. I never saw it on the RAM site when I started looking. Nor on Amazon. Could end up with this one fer sure. Thanks much. Throwing these $20 bills around is so much fun! :(

http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-ge...cycle-helmet/bikebandit-techgripper-mount-kit

This is what I use now because the X-grip failed misorably and dropped a tablet on a gravel road. The X-grip is junk as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't count on it after that.
The TechGripper works great.

That looks ok and I guess it works but I have a high (long?) mount for the RAM (feeble eyes). Thanks though. I guess it grips tight enough in those little jaws?

I recommend slip grip. It has a ram mount ball and is made for you phone.I rode out to Ark on the TAT with no problems.
That looks good too but low for my feeble eyes. If the ball is on the phone side maybe I can fit it on the ram mount.

I've had the X-mounts for several years now and it has never dropped my phone. Right now I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 in an otter box case mounted horizontally. Been off road and normally commute on some pretty crappy roads and several RxR crossings. It has never failed me yet and it keeps a good grip on my phone. At times I have thought about using some 3M Dual lock on the back, just to be absolutely sure it doesn't come out, but I don't think want it on the back of my phone case when it's not on the bike.

I was surprised too. I have crossed those tracks before. It must have just been the perfect harmonic. A different mount would be cheaper than a suspension revision. :rolleyes:

I have used rubber bands to go between the posts to hold the phone in better when I am on gravel roads. I also have my x-grip 90 degrees turned from the first picture.

I used it horizontally also. Never vertical. That is just a pic from the RAM site. Rubber bands was my first thought but.............dunno.

I am seeing some types bicycle mounts and think they should be good since those bikes get rattled pretty hard. one of those was what I bought first but the phone was too far away from my face so I could not see it well enough to use.

Thanks everybody.

Last edited:
Yes, those little jaws won't let go unless you pull them apart. After the X-grip failed, I gave it a good test before I put it in service.
My friend has the slip- grip and it works too, but it wouldn't work with my phone because of the case's I use.
I thought the TechGripper price was a tad high, but it does do what I bought it for with multiple cases.
Since they have the rubber webbing for the X-grip now, I wouldn't be concerned of it letting go, even with my tablet.
All that really matters is everyone finds what works best for them.

I use one of these RAM mounts:
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts (RAM-HOL-PD3U) Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Cradle Holder: Automotive

Hasn't ever dropped the phone, and hasn't ever made me think it might. Very pleased. Never could figure out why anyone would think the X-grip thing was a good idea (no offense meant).

I use an iPhone 5s in an OtterBox, and a OnePlus One. The latter is very, very nearly the same size as the larger iPhone 6, but it's also just about the tallest phone one could put into the mount I have.

I use one of these RAM mounts:
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts (RAM-HOL-PD3U) Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Cradle Holder: Automotive

Hasn't ever dropped the phone, and hasn't ever made me think it might. Very pleased. Never could figure out why anyone would think the X-grip thing was a good idea (no offense meant).

I use an iPhone 5s in an OtterBox, and a OnePlus One. The latter is very, very nearly the same size as the larger iPhone 6, but it's also just about the tallest phone one could put into the mount I have.

I have a 6+.
Won't fit that.

Yes, those little jaws won't let go unless you pull them apart. After the X-grip failed, I gave it a good test before I put it in service.
My friend has the slip- grip and it works too, but it wouldn't work with my phone because of the case's I use.
I thought the TechGripper price was a tad high, but it does do what I bought it for with multiple cases.
Since they have the rubber webbing for the X-grip now, I wouldn't be concerned of it letting go, even with my tablet.
All that really matters is everyone finds what works best for them.

I just tested the X-grip in the garage with rubber bands. It is really tight now. Maybe tight enough to test??
Where is the rubber webbing for the X-grip? I saw it on some "foreign" bike mounts but not as a stand alone product.

I have a 6+.
Won't fit that.

Interesting. I admit the 0.2" height difference could do it. The user review on that page says it will, but perhaps not as easily as one would prefer. Wouldn't be tough to shave a skosh off the tabs top or bottom, if it meant having a secure, very inexpensive mount...

Back