• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Reactions from your riding friends/general public?

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Googling for info/articles on the NC700X (and S for that matter) brings up a lot of posts on other bike forums. Their reactions seem to follow this pattern:

1) :mad: No Way!! I would never trade my ____ for that bike! Almost all of these type posts in reaction to the bikes announcement.

2) :eek: You know, it's not that bad. This after reviews start trickling in.

3) :D Hey, I wouldn't mind owning one. This after one of the forum members or a source they trust chimes in with personal experience with the NC.

It's been a while since a bike has polarized so many people before it's actual release. While it is a slight paradigm shift in thinking by a bike maker, it's not as crazy as a lot seem to think. Plus, I think a lot of people get hung up on the Dual Clutch version (It's a Scooter!! Auto on a bike??? That's not a bike!!) seemingly forgetting about the standard version.

So, what's your feed back been so far? Mine has been very positive, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I can respect that. I've gotten several curious looks and a few people approach me for a closer look. I think the "tank" has been their favorite feature so far.

I took mine to my insurance agent on Monday so he can get some pics of it (wasn't in their system). He was absolutely floored by the looks and style. He asked if he could sit on it and I let him. He said that he used to ride bikes along time ago, and something like the NC just might get him back into it and to get one for himself. I've had nothing but great feedback from guys at work and other friends. I just LOVE this bike. Thank you, Honda!

From my contacts, it seems to have bi-modal appeal both to the new or returning riders who might be intimidated by something stronger and us old fogies who have "been there, done that" with all the rest of them. In the great middle-ground are the majority who say it doesn't excite them sufficiently. I expect our new riders may "graduate" and leave us at some point and some of the middle crowd may join our ranks as they, uh, mature. All this is notwithstanding another prolonged "fuel emergency" or some really alarming trends in fuel cost that might sway people towards the bike.

I think I have given more test rides than Honda has. It got great interest at the BMW Rally I just went to in New York. Of Course, 98% of the BMW crowd are old crusties like me. Every year the average age of the club is another year greater.

I would say the majority like the NC. The ones that are into shiny bikes, wouldn't change for anything though.
They are in it for status, nothing else. A few of these bikes have handlebars that are 18'' tall!
I can't imagine riding a bike with handlebars like that.
I know a couple of guys that think they may buy one now because of the fuel mileage and riding position.
Then there are the guys that rode Enduros when they were younger, They loved it.
When commuters find out about the NC, the fuel mileage and low purchase price will sell this bike.

I hope this does not come across as offensive.
After much observation on this forum and some others, I concluded that this bike is for
1. total beginners
2. matured riders above 60 years old
3. returning riders from inactivity (like myself)

Others will probably give this a miss, because it is under 100PS (not even near).
Or they want a cruiser (chopper), or they want a speed demon (say R1).

People whom I met, are too polite. One friend did honestly say to me: are you sure? Why not 100PS or more? Do you not have enough money?
I said I don't need more PS.
I may "want" more, but the price value (of the NCX) is just too good to miss.
Sometimes I do feel a little regret when I see shining sparkling other bikes, but it is the same when you see a nice pretty woman etc.
(some) Men are always on the lookout for new things. It's in our DNA.

I may, in the future, upgrade to a 1200 for longer tours when I get used to riding in winter or find more time etc.
For now, the NCX fits my time, price and enough torque.

I took mine to my insurance agent on Monday so he can get some pics of it (wasn't in their system). He was absolutely floored by the looks and style. He asked if he could sit on it and I let him. He said that he used to ride bikes along time ago, and something like the NC just might get him back into it and to get one for himself. I've had nothing but great feedback from guys at work and other friends. I just LOVE this bike. Thank you, Honda!

I can't help but picture a scenario where your insurance agent sits on the bike and then drops it, damaging the plastic.

Greg

I can't help but picture a scenario where your insurance agent sits on the bike and then drops it, damaging the plastic.

Greg

Wouldn't that be a sight, and conversation piece? hehe...my agent has been a long-time friend of me and my wife so I trusted him with it. For others, though, probably not.

One commuter friend really likes the idea because he has carpal tunnel and pulling a clutch aggravates it. Most others are dumb-founded that it is an automatic and look in awe of the storage compartment. I try to explain it simply as a scooter in a motorcycle platform except sometimes I say that next to the wrong person who points out that scooters (well most scooters anyway) don't have a DCT. However, digging into those technical details are irrelevant to me in a brief, casual conversation.

My friends here in FL will not ride with me anymore! I sold my 1997 Harley Davidson Softail Custom for $7,000 cash. I put down $5,000 on the 2012 NC700X and financed the remaining $3,200 with Honda. It will help to increase my beacon score close to 750. Come May of 2014. (If I live that long) lol I am going to buy the 2014 Harley Davidson Road Glide Custom. HD 111 year anniversary. :cool:

I have had many comments on the NC700X. All good! One guy actually asked me if he could sit on the bike. By the time I could say yes or no. He was on it.

View attachment 380

Attachments

• 2222BFCB-8750-4B12-A472-02F07501C5FF_3.jpg
    2222BFCB-8750-4B12-A472-02F07501C5FF_3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I get alot of looks when i stop at a light, someone stopped me at Walmart and we talked for about 20 minutes about motorcycles. Anyway, I've gotten nothing but positive feedback. I was thinking about going to "Bike Night" at the local wateringhole. Anyway, most everyone digs it and have said nothing but positive feedback.

I hope this does not come across as offensive.
After much observation on this forum and some others, I concluded that this bike is for
1. total beginners

Damn I don't fit in any of those categories. I'm 38. Got my license in 97 and have had at least 1 (usually more) bike ever since. I have a vfr (very close to 100 hp) that I'm seriously considering selling because the nc does everything I want a bike to do

Almost every ride someone asks me about the bike and reacts positively when I talk about it with them. I have never had a bike that elicited this much interest. I wanted it because of the innovative engineering in it and the adventure bike look of it. It was the first bike in 6 years I had real interest in buying.

MyCustomBikeWallpaper_1280_800.jpg
Sharp Bike!Seabee Bob

Thanks turbodieseli48! The 97 Softail was one of a kind. It had custom paint with skulls & spikes along with spikes coming out everywhere. When I bought the 97 FXSTC it had spikes for grips and rider foot pegs. I changed those out real quick but I sold them with the bike along with a Phantom Passenger Pad "Lick & Stick". Great bike, but it was slammed so low. I use to scrape the pipes "everything" on the tight turns. I plan on moving back up to Western NC May 1st and I thought I would break in the NC700X here in sunny warm FL during our winter months. You know around 65 degrees. By the time I get back up there in the mountains. I will have mastered the NC700X and I will be ready to take off into the unknown roads that lead ahead of me. I am going to mount my Glock 30 chambered in .45 to the inside storage compartment. Don't want to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere with no cellular towers with all the hungry animals roaming around looking for fresh meat "My Boston Butt". By 2014 I will be ready to settle down and buy my dream bike. The 2014 HD Road Glide Custom. I customized this Road Glide Custom set up for solo riding on HD's website. I posted some of my previous motorcycles in the Members Featured Photos.

Last edited:
" I am going to mount my Glock 30 chambered in .45 to the inside storage compartment"
When the $ permits, I want a G30 and will add a 460 Rowland conversion on it.
Ya know just for giggles.

Last edited:
0424121131-00.jpg
" I am going to mount my Glock 30 chambered in .45 to the inside storage compartment"
When the $ permits, I want a G30 and will add a 460 Rowland conversion on it.
Ya know just for giggles.

This is how I ride in the mountains of Western NC. Totally legal with the strap secured on it. Ruger LC9. 9mm

Last edited:
Firstly the NC is NOT a scooterIf it were I would not have bought one. My user name should explain why. I agree that the Integra looks a bit scooterish which is why I gave that model a miss. Honda list the NC in their M/C section not their scooter section.
Secondly those that say an auto is not a real bike just ask them about the VFR1200DCT which as an ex owner I can assure you it is one hell of a bike

Firstly the NC is NOT a scooterIf it were I would not have bought one. My user name should explain why. I agree that the Integra looks a bit scooterish which is why I gave that model a miss. Honda list the NC in their M/C section not their scooter section.
Secondly those that say an auto is not a real bike just ask them about the VFR1200DCT which as an ex owner I can assure you it is one hell of a bike

1. CYCLE
WORLD

Ten Best Bikes 2012- Best Standard: Honda NC700X – Cycle World
www.cycleworld.com › Class › Standard/Naked

BEST STANDARD: HONDA NC700X

We’ve picked everything from the Suzuki DR-Z400SM to the Triumph Tiger 1050 for this category in the last five years, so don’t even try to talk us down from this year’s winner, Honda’s new-world NC700X. Even if our highly experienced Eurospondent, Bruno dePrato, hadn’t given the NC a rave review, this interesting, original, approachable and affordable machine takes us back to a time when those qualities helped Honda take the world by storm. What’s not to like about scooter-style storage and great gas mileage in an adventurous-looking package that goes and handles, if not like a sportbike, at least like a sporty bike? For a starting price of $6999 or $8999 with auto-shift DCT and ABS? Maybe austerity won’t be so bad.

2. 2012 Honda NC700X First Ride - Motorcycle USA
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...usa.com/.../2012-Honda-NC700X-First-Ride.aspx

3. Honda NC700S review - Telegraph
www.telegraph.co.uk › Motoring › Motorbikes

Last edited:
I concluded that this bike is for
1. total beginners

Well, I don't fit any of these stereotypes

Anyway, although my bike attracts glances a lot, to be honest, I don't care. What matters to me is how I feel... And boy... I feel very good ;)

Back