• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear Break

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Well, I've read several posts about the rear break not being strong enough. Yesterday I got to find out just how strong it is. Riding through South Boston Va for some reason I never determined, the traffic in my lane locked their brakes up. Unfortunately I had just looked down at my gauges to check my fuel level so my buffer zone was gone by the time I realized what was going on.
I got hard on the brakes and angled towards the sidewalk to give myself some extra stopping room if I needed it and avoid becoming a motorcycle sandwich with the car behind me.
I felt the rear end coming around and had to let off the rear break to avoid getting high sided, as it had locked. Fortunately the truck in front of me and the traffic in front of it had accelerated and were moving on.
I had always thought the rear break felt weak, but if it had been any stronger, I would have probably not been able to save it and would probably have high sided. I'm of the opinion the rear break is fine now after this experience. Anyone have any similar experiences with the rear brake?

Dang auto correct.... Didn't realize the spelling in the subject line until after posting

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I always noticed it takes quite a bit of pressure to lock the rear wheel but not that the brake was inadequate for the purpose. The front brake is for stopping, the rear brake is for control so I don't want a powerful rear brake.

You can lock it up just fine. I've done it in a parking lot just to see if I could (right after replacing the pads), and I must agree with Dave. It's adequate, for what it is meant to do....control... not lock up or take on 100% of the stopping duty.

I'm no expert on handling a bike, but I like sittin' on 'em for long rides.

You can lock it up just fine. I've done it in a parking lot just to see if I could (right after replacing the pads), and I must agree with Dave. It's adequate, for what it is meant to do....control... not lock up or take on 100% of the stopping duty.

I'm no expert on handling a bike, but I like sittin' on 'em for long rides.

ABS... I've always admired that. Is the rear brake pad the same size (surface area) as the non ABS?

I got to try my ABS out this morning, some wonderful young lady calmly looked me in the eye and pulled out right in front of me. Love it! The ABS worked extremely well, I could hear and feel it in the bike and it was definitely the shortest stop I have ever made, bike stayed straight and ground to a halt. VERY impressed.

When in city traffic and such, I try to use primarily rear brake. Reason being, when I go on more spirited canyon rides, I'm using mostly front brake. Using this technique over the years I've seemed to even out brake pad wear.

Obviously, if I need the front brake in traffic, it's always there - so I'm talking more about non-heavy relaxed braking where I use rear-only.

When in city traffic and such, I try to use primarily rear brake. Reason being, when I go on more spirited canyon rides, I'm using mostly front brake. Using this technique over the years I've seemed to even out brake pad wear.

Obviously, if I need the front brake in traffic, it's always there - so I'm talking more about non-heavy relaxed braking where I use rear-only.

An alternative.............use both brakes all the time and every time and vary the application pressure and front/rear bias for each and every braking event..............that way in an emergency situation muscle memory will take over and the maximum braking can occur using both brakes to their full capacity.

I got to try my ABS out this morning, some wonderful young lady calmly looked me in the eye and pulled out right in front of me. Love it! The ABS worked extremely well, I could hear and feel it in the bike and it was definitely the shortest stop I have ever made, bike stayed straight and ground to a halt. VERY impressed.

I suggest that you find a back road, and practice your braking every day, pick a land mark or something as a brake marker, ease into full panic stops, with no traffic around you. If you can do this same road every ride. perfect practice will give you a fighting chance when you really have to make it count. And you can count on what the bike will feel like under hard braking. I ride 100 miles round trip every day and always do at least one full panic stop on my favorite back road, i count the white lines and now where i should be for distance, and i always use both brakes. Even on a cbr1000rr light rear brake helps keep the bike strait, as the rear wheel lifts from heavy front brake use. The difference of one inch shorter stopping distance may mean you missed hitting something??? Dale

An alternative.............use both brakes all the time and every time and vary the application pressure and front/rear bias for each and every braking event..............that way in an emergency situation muscle memory will take over and the maximum braking can occur using both brakes to their full capacity.

I like this suggestion. I've had a couple close calls this year and as you stated my muscle memory kicked in and I applied both brakes as I always do. My rear tire broke loose on one occasion but letting up on it slightly allowed the tire to grab again. I'd rather apply both brakes heavy and adjust as needed than to maybe apply only one if that is a method I used on a regular basis.

Samsung Galaxy S4

I suggest that you find a back road, and practice your braking every day, pick a land mark or something as a brake marker, ease into full panic stops, with no traffic around you. If you can do this same road every ride. perfect practice will give you a fighting chance when you really have to make it count. And you can count on what the bike will feel like under hard braking. I ride 100 miles round trip every day and always do at least one full panic stop on my favorite back road, i count the white lines and now where i should be for distance, and i always use both brakes. Even on a cbr1000rr light rear brake helps keep the bike strait, as the rear wheel lifts from heavy front brake use. The difference of one inch shorter stopping distance may mean you missed hitting something??? Dale

No need to practise it every day, did it just fine when I needed too and will save my brake pads for days like today. Started with dirt when "I was a wee lad," those skills have kept me upright a number times when I probably should have hit the ground. I was meaning its the shortest stop I've ever made because on any bike without abs i would have been totally locked up, and have been there before. ABS cut my stopping distance down noticeably.

I agree that regular practice of threshold braking with or without ABS is important. Why not rely on ABS to provide the shortest stopping distance? Because it is hard to wait that half second or so for weight transfer to really mash the front tire into the ground and develop maximum braking force unless you practice enough to embed it into subconscious memory. If you simply grab or slam on a handful of front brake and don't wait to squeeeeeeze it on the front wheel begins to lock and ABS releases braking pressure for you......and adds inches or feet to the stopping distance.

I love my abs brakes and have had to use them a few times already, once my fault and a couple for other people pulling out in front of me. But I agree I should practice using them more often.

Can't tell how much I hate that, somebody looks at your eyes and still slowly keeps moving in front of you, ABS saved me already few times in that kind of situations
For some reason it never happens, when I'm driving my full size Ford F350 van
they look at my eyes and keep staying where they are....

i agree the rear brakes seems alot weaker than the front. However, I can tell you the abs works. I do everything possible to make myself seen. I have reflective wheel rim tape, my givi top case has led lights (running lites, turn signals, brake), led denali lights, loud horn and I wear a hi-vis helmet. I just want to be noticed on the road so I won't get into a situation.
Then when I ride before sun up, a reflective vest.

Ken

Last edited:
I also believe riding dirt will help a great deal in learning when your wheel locks up among many other riding hazards. You get fantastic riding instincts from riding dirt. The people who have the hardest time keeping upright have no off road experience.
If you can find a buddy with a dirt bike convince him/her to let you ride it. You'll be amazed what you will learn and how much better off a street rider you will be.

I also believe riding dirt will help a great deal in learning when your wheel locks up among many other riding hazards. You get fantastic riding instincts from riding dirt. The people who have the hardest time keeping upright have no off road experience.
If you can find a buddy with a dirt bike convince him/her to let you ride it. You'll be amazed what you will learn and how much better off a street rider you will be.

Yup. Totally agree here, based on my own experience. I ride on dirt, sand, rock, and pea gravel at off-road parks only four or five times at year, but it helps me greatly with street skills.

I agree with netizen. Dirt riding will teach you how to use your hips to drift when locking the rear break. Also, I hear folks so often saying you do not use your front brake when riding in the dirt. Nothing can be further from the truth. You use the front brakes all the time in the dirt, just not as much pressure as on the street. One of the problems with the NC7 ABS braking system is that you can not turn it off, as you can on other adventure bikes. ABS is great for the street, but not for the dirt. Netizen is correct, it just takes a little bit of time to learn the braking differences in the dirt, but they can come in handy on the street.

Back