• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear seat stuck!

Neilp

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to fill up last night and I can't pop the rear seat to fill up!
Frunk opens fine and the seat worked ok last time I opened it.
I've taken the lock surround off this morning and pulled the cable but it won't budge so I'm assuming the issue is at the seat end of the cable. Tried pushing down on the seat, swearing and beating it with a stick but still no joy!
Any ideas on how I can get the seat open - I can't see a way of getting to that end of the cable?

Yes, tried pushing on the seat while turning the key and there's nothing under it either 1- thanks for the suggestions.
About to head to the workshop for round 2!!

You may be able to work a long thin screwdriver under the seat gap and spring the latch. Just be patient and you should be able to get it. I have a small LED light that I use to "light up" such areas. If you can get a light under the seat you should be able to see the latch and spring it.

Last edited:
Thar's going to take some patience with the front seat on.
Good advice , though.
Kind of like getting into a locked car with a rod. Insert, pull out , bend , repeat over and over until you get it.
Good luck with it Neil

Thanks lootzyan, the 5mm hex key trick worked great although it only releases the right hand catch. I slid a bar under that side of the seat and it gives just enough room to get some pliers in to pull the catch to release the left hand side!
image.jpg
Now I need to work out why it won't work. Seems to be a problem with the cable. Disconnected both ends of the cable and the key and catches move freely but I can't pull the ends of the cable through the sheath.
Had enough now so tomorrow I'll bodge something to open the seat for now.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mmmm...looks like another cheap mod that could prevent a lot of frustration..... this sounds like a good one...
don't have seat cover but I like the idea of having a backup method for opening the seat.

Try to imagine this happening at a road side gas station on a cross country trip...
I'd be looking for a crowbar!

I have a 10 min, temporary (means forever), solution to future (imaginary) problem with stuck back seat.
And it's working.

View attachment 24680

View attachment 24681

Stealing this idea, I tied the strings to the mechanism and threaded them in the most direct line possible to the opposite side.
Cut out holes in the mechanism made that very easy.

I tied off a finger loop on the ends and tucked them neatly under the seat where the grab rails touch the leather seat. (yes, I know it's not leather)

You can't see anything, and it's there should I ever need!
(I just got up, went out, and tested it...it worked.)

Last edited:
I didn't cut out any holes. Strings are going to the opposing side almost in straight line so unlocking is very easy. You can see them on right and left side of first picture. Strings are long enough so I could loop them under seat cover.
You can make any modification you want. I didn't patented this idea (yet) :eek:

No, I didn't cut out any holes myeself either. I meant to say "existing cut out holes mad that easier."

Still, thanks for showing the way...gives me just one more little bit of reassurance. Thank you for that.

Last edited:
I didn't cut out any holes. Strings are going to the opposing side almost in straight line so unlocking is very easy. You can see them on right and left side of first picture. Strings are long enough so I could loop them under seat cover.
You can make any modification you want. I didn't patented this idea (yet) :eek:

Thank you lootzyan for sharing your idea. Mine has never failed yet but always wonder about the what ifs.

Something simple just occurred to me: Cut the two metal U-shaped rings that the latches grab onto off from under the seat and buy a locking gas cap.

wouldn't the seat bounce and rattle then?
It would be nice if the mechanism were the push to open it, and then push again to latch it.
It seems unlikely a gas thief would go after a motorcycle... but who knows.

I would think cleaning and lubing the latch and cable would give enough protection against any failures. I'm sure Honda tested this mechanism a thousand times over. I would like to know how many people here have had a latch failure?

I would think cleaning and lubing the latch and cable would give enough protection against any failures. I'm sure Honda tested this mechanism a thousand times over. I would like to know how many people here have had a latch failure?
I have seen at least 2 different people on this site state their locking mechanism failed...

I have seen at least 2 different people on this site state their locking mechanism failed...

Only one big problem........we can't correctly do the math without accurate sampling.

2 out of 50,000 production would be a .004 % failure rate.............you can adjust the numbers to meet your expectations:cool::cool::eek:

The OP does not say his model year........2014 had the product update on the latch for the trunk .......SOMEWHAT RELATED ? But the recall update does not mention the seat latch.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I totally agree on the help.........but it has now morphed into something that has owners worried on what might happen.......then there was post asking really how big a problem is this ??????? Likely very very small.........Think the cam chain tensioner has others worried too..........and very likely NOT warranted. Knowledge is good .......but risk assessment is important too.

If we are developing a list of problems not to worry about.. ...remember a while back when:

Out of round sprockets was the new BIG problem ( that turned out not to true)
Or the fuel injectors where defective causing the vibration in high gear lower speeds.

Last edited:
Must admit I never worried about it either! At least now there's a thread so anyone else who has the same problem can find a solution. I was lucky and had enough petrol to get home.
The bike is a 2012 with 47k miles on it by the way.
Not had chance to look what's actually failed but when I do I'll let you all know. Until then I'll rely on my two bits of string.

Good to see the way everyone helps out on this forum - thanks again.

Let's find out what may have caused the problem and address that. Was it a lack of maintenance? Was it a problem with a stretched cable? If there is a mechanical issue with the mechanism then add a way to spring the latch if it turn out to be an issue (risk assesment). If from lack of maintenance do the obvious.

Back