• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Remove spark plug

Price is $21.13 at Procaliber.com. Sorry, that's still way too much. I think Honda is being very conservative about the spark plug change interval. This is from the NGK Web site:
https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/202/how-long-do-iridium-plugs-last

NGK's Laser Iridium plugs typically last 80-100k miles."

I'm at 32K, so I think I'll quit worrying....for a while anyway.... thank you.

Sometimes, I'm sure I am the dumbest mechanic. I've got pro caliber's page up...now...in real time... and I CAN'T find a spark plug.... they probably have them... I'm just not smart enough to find one.

I don't understand web pages that don't have "search"... search has been with us a long time...why abandon it now?

Last edited:
I'm at 32K, so I think I'll quit worrying....for a while anyway.... thank you.

Sometimes, I'm sure I am the dumbest mechanic. I've got pro caliber's page up...now...in real time... and I CAN'T find a spark plug.... they probably have them... I'm just not smart enough to find one.

I don't understand web pages that don't have "search"... search has been with us a long time...why abandon it now?

The spark plug goes in the cylinder head, so go to the cylinder head page and there it is. A search could be worthless at times, too, since often the parts have odd names. For example they use words like "weldment", "collar", or "stay" that we wouldn't think to search on.

Last edited:
Price is $21.13 at Procaliber.com. Sorry, that's still way too much. I think Honda is being very conservative about the spark plug change interval. This is from the NGK Web site:

"How Long Do Iridium Plugs Last?
September 30, 2012
A traditional IX iridium plug such as NGK ZFR6FIX-11 has an iridium Center Electrode, however the ground electrode is a traditional nickel construction. Therefore, the ground electrode will wear out first. NGK gives them a life expectancy of 40-50k miles. But they have to temper their projections as driving conditions and motor modifications differ. Typically we have found you can expect 60,000 to 80,000 miles on an unaltered motor.

NGK Laser Iridium plugs have iridium center and a Platinum ground electrodes. If installed in a regular engine, they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). All Laser Iridium plugs are an OEM design, made for a specific engine. Some feature a special resistor or electrode design, depending on the OE requirements. In their OE application, NGK's Laser Iridium plugs typically last 80-100k miles."

Agreed............similar plugs run 105,000 at the change interval in the cars..........and thats a conservative number because they still are required pass EPA emissions test without service under all operating conditions..........so there is huge cushion in that number.

Not to mention the cars have a sophisticated misfire detection system that would find a weak plug and cause an EPA failure in the durability test of 105,000 miles.

"How Long Do Iridium Plugs Last?
September 30, 2012
A traditional IX iridium plug such as NGK ZFR6FIX-11 has an iridium Center Electrode, however the ground electrode is a traditional nickel construction. Therefore, the ground electrode will wear out first. NGK gives them a life expectancy of 40-50k miles. But they have to temper their projections as driving conditions and motor modifications differ. Typically we have found you can expect 60,000 to 80,000 miles on an unaltered motor.

NGK Laser Iridium plugs have iridium center and a Platinum ground electrodes. If installed in a regular engine, they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). All Laser Iridium plugs are an OEM design, made for a specific engine. Some feature a special resistor or electrode design, depending on the OE requirements. In their OE application, NGK's Laser Iridium plugs typically last 80-100k miles."

i'm kinda stumped now. I hope I don't need new spark plugs any time soon... I can't find any to buy..(laughter)

I don't have Internet at my new home so doing this from phone so this will be short.

I posted three phone numbers for OCR the other day on places I personally called that had the spark plug for our bike in Stock. Confirmed in Stock. One place had 11.

Samsung Galaxy S4

+1 on the anti-seize compound. Only 2 plugs on NC, be glad it isn't a corncob radial :rolleyes:

-2 on anti-seize compound. There, that should cancel out the recommendations :D

Pretty much all anti-seize compounds act as "insulation" between the plug and the head. This results in reduced heat transfer from plug to head. The [potential] side-effect is an increase of the plug's heat range.

To prevent plug seizing, most all modern plugs are plated.

If you're dead set on coating the plug threads, use moly lube or graphite (keep in mind both are conductive, so keep it away from the working end of the plug) and ensure it's ONLY applied to the threads, mostly on the shoulder end. One last gotcha ... you have to compensate the plug's torque-tightening value as the specs are given for a non-coated plug.

I didn't remember posting in this thread. I re-read the whole thing wondering how could we have 5 pages on how to remove a spark plug. Turns out there's some good info in here.
I like Fuzzy's recommendation of starting the plug with a rubber hose. I used to do that with my old VW radiator plugs...

you have to compensate the plug's torque-tightening value as the specs are given for a non-coated plug.

Bingo - applying the actual torque specified in the manual to a thread lubed with "anti-seize" compound changes everything. You risk stripping the threads. Seen it happen on cam shaft holders before.

its almost impossible to cross thread the nc spark plug and the nc engine orientation ensures nothing falls in the hole ,,lovely
I found the torque value felt `tight ` to me though

Like Dduelin I would not pay the Honda price of $30 per plug.

I am running NGK BKR6E-11 plugs. NGK part #2756. Bought at my local NAPA auto parts store for $2.78.

Have over 15,000 miles on these plugs with zero problems.

Found that the head light bulb can be purchased at Wal-Mart or local auto parts store. Lot cheaper than Honda!

Last edited:
Found that the head light bulb can be purchased at Wal-Mart or local auto parts store. Lot cheaper than Honda!

Yes, that is true. Be sure to select the correct one for your style of riding. I would recommend the simulated Xeon bulbs with a light temperature of 4,000 to 4,300° Kelvin.

philips-crystalvision-h4.png

I decided to go with a LED H4 Bulb, see images below. They are not cheap ($40-60), however a good quality one will last the entire lifetime of the motorcycle.

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3499.jpg
    IMG_3499.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 315
Never heard of Brisk. Are they any good?

I have them in my wife's GS500,AMAZING plugs for a carbed bike,not sure if they would be any better than a standard NGK plug in a FI bike.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

Back