• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rider needs a backrest

docb91b

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all,
As I posted earlier.. I rode almost 1000 miles over two days. I had the time of my life, but my lower back is very angry with me! Anyone know of a backrest for the NC700x? My back will thank you.

D

OCR has one... not sure how he mounted it or where he got it. He'll probably see this post soon and reply though. If nothing else you could get a dry bag and put a partially inflated air mattress in it to lean back against.
I just returned from camping in the mountains and had my sleeping bag on the rear seat to lean up against. That was quite nice. Only problem is when you need gas you need to unload it to get the gas in. A couple of Rok straps make that a pretty easy thing to do though. If you do the air mattress in a dry bag thing, getting that out of the way to fuel up would be quite easy. A temporary fix until you can find a good backrest solution

smileyrider1.jpg

I have an idea for building one... maybe we could work on that here.

I'd like to bolt flat bar to the two bolts that hold the front seat on and then run it up through the gap between front and rear seats.
That would expose flat bar so that we could attach a back rest to it....

I have an idea for building one... maybe we could work on that here.

I'd like to bolt flat bar to the two bolts that hold the front seat on and then run it up through the gap between front and rear seats.
That would expose flat bar so that we could attach a back rest to it....

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what OCR did... whenever he sees this post, I'm sure he will have some input for you!

OCR has one... not sure how he mounted it or where he got it. He'll probably see this post soon and reply though. If nothing else you could get a dry bag and put a partially inflated air mattress in it to lean back against.
I just returned from camping in the mountains and had my sleeping bag on the rear seat to lean up against. That was quite nice. Only problem is when you need gas you need to unload it to get the gas in. A couple of Rok straps make that a pretty easy thing to do though. If you do the air mattress in a dry bag thing, getting that out of the way to fuel up would be quite easy. A temporary fix until you can find a good backrest solution
[/ATTACH]
3.jpg

Just did a rebuild on my seat. Reason is I wore it out. Holes in the 1st seat I built and sheep skin wore off.

Copeland 001.jpg

Driver back rest is a Utopia for a Honda Goldwing 1800. Had to pull out the little old torch. But easy to make work, just a little bend here and there.

Have not got my bike back together, yet. I had this little problem in Alaska, but here is picture before my most resent rebuild.

002.jpg

SmileyBlessed.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I have new Utopia back rest, I'm not using that, can sell you for much less than they sell
I got my bike with Utopia back rest installed and removed same day, I never use back rest anyway

I can send you all back seat with back rest installed, you don't have to worry about instalation

Last edited:
I have new Utopia back rest, I'm not using that, can sell you for much less than they sell
I got my bike with Utopia back rest installed and removed same day, I never use back rest anyway

I can send you all back seat with back rest installed, you don't have to worry about instalation

Thanks buddy! Do you have a picture so I can check it out first?

You might try using a kidney belt in instead of backrest.

Less expensive, no modifications necessary, easier to get on/off the bike.

You might try using a kidney belt in instead of backrest.

Less expensive, no modifications necessary, easier to get on/off the bike.

That was my solution. I have tried backrests and do not like the added hassle in mounting and dismounting the bike. They also limit your ability to move your weight around on the bike such as when making your way slowly through a rough patch or uncertain terrain like a water crossing. Sometimes you want to get your weight back as far as possible. Like others, I have also found a correctly placed bedroll or drybag to work pretty well. However, the kidney belt gives even better support because of the compression on the sides. This is the one that I use. I wish they offered more sizes than they do. I am currently morphing into a skinny guy.

Alpinestars Touring Kidney Belt - RevZilla

Mine is going to New York with me on the 1976 BMW in a few weeks. It makes me sore to think about the trip without it.

Last edited:
it looks like the mount entirely covers the back seat? does it then bolt on to the same bolts that hold the passenger hand rails?

The utopia backrest bolts directly into the back seat. The steel brace is in the shape of a "T". The rear seat upholstery is removed, the 3 bolts go through the seat. That is why it is being sold with the back seat in this case. I weight 265 and can put all the pressure I can come up with against this backrest and it is not moving. The utopia backrest can be move up or down, forward or backwards to fit any rider. This adjustment feature is what makes it the most popular and most comfortable of all motorcycle backrest. I lean back against the backrest, put my feet on the pegs, and use my legs to lift my entire rear end into the air off the seat for miles on end. This is riding on air and it is comfortable.7.jpg

Utopia 001.jpg

SmileyHeavenly.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The utopia backrest bolts directly into the back seat. The steel brace is in the shape of a "T". The rear seat upholstery is removed, the 3 bolts go through the seat. That is why it is being sold with the back seat in this case. I weight 265 and can put all the pressure I can come up with against this backrest and it is not moving. The utopia backrest can be move up or down, forward or backwards to fit any rider. This adjustment feature is what makes it the most popular and most comfortable of all motorcycle backrest. I lean back against the backrest, put my feet on the pegs, and use my legs to lift my entire rear end into the air off the seat for miles on end. This is riding on air and it is comfortable.

View attachment 7385

The pegs you are referring to, are the highway pegs, or the standard pegs? I think the ultimate comfort combination is rox risers, highway pegs, good seat, and a good windshield. The addition of the backrest could only enhance that comfort further. I see being able to lift your butt out of the seat while still being supported fully by the backrest for miles as being a very welcome relief to your butt on long rides. Makes me wonder if there might be such a backrest in my future... down the road.
smileyconsider.jpg

The pegs you are referring to, are the highway pegs, or the standard pegs? I think the ultimate comfort combination is rox risers, highway pegs, good seat, and a good windshield. The addition of the backrest could only enhance that comfort further. I see being able to lift your butt out of the seat while still being supported fully by the backrest for miles as being a very welcome relief to your butt on long rides. Makes me wonder if there might be such a backrest in my future... down the road.
5.jpg

Yes I do mean the highway pegs. " I think the ultimate comfort combination is rox risers, highway pegs, good seat, and a good windshield."

I would not leave home on a long trip without these items on my NC700, I just include the backrest.

SmileyMercy.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back