• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Riding season in Texas?

Cagedodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks, could anyone give me some details on the riding season in Texas?

My brother moved down there a year or two back and he's thinking of getting into riding. I'm trying to give him some advice on buying used and I was starting to think about when to buy but I just don't know the riding season down there. In Virginia it's easy to say buy in December/January but what's the best time to buy used in Texas? That's not saying much I know since Texas is ginormous. He's in the Austin area if that makes a difference.

Thanks all!

Your brother lives near one of the best places to ride a motorcycle in Texas, The Texas Hill County. Visiting your brother would be a great excuse to Ride some great real estate. Good riding weather almost year round. Like anywhere the weekend riders come out of the wood work in the spring and in the fall. Can ride more in winter than in most of the county. And summer is hot, hot, and hot.

Hey folks, could anyone give me some details on the riding season in Texas?

My brother moved down there a year or two back and he's thinking of getting into riding. I'm trying to give him some advice on buying used and I was starting to think about when to buy but I just don't know the riding season down there. In Virginia it's easy to say buy in December/January but what's the best time to buy used in Texas? That's not saying much I know since Texas is ginormous. He's in the Austin area if that makes a difference.

Thanks all!

Here in Central Texas, you can ride all year, no problem. It's all up to the person's tolerance of course, but it's a great area to be a motorcyclist -- weather isn't usually a limiting factor.

Austin, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winter -- it's an unusual year if we get more than 2-3 days with frozen precip, and even then it very rarely sticks to the ground for more than 12 hours. With a heated jacket liner and gloves, I have yet to freeze to death. It will get cold and stay in the 30's for a week at a time, but most of the winter, day time highs are in the 50's if not 60's.

Summer -- this is what gets most people, but if he's been here a year or two.... he knows. Hydration and mesh/vented gear are your best friend in late July down here.

As for buying.... I can't tell it makes a whole lot of difference. I've bought and sold without ever paying it much attention. Just as many people seem to shy away from riding in the 105° heat as do the 40° cold. As long as he doesn't try to buy during the 3 week periods we get for fall/spring, he'll be fine.

trey

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess that's one good ting about living in a place where most riders stop this time of year. He might not be so lucky, in that regard, heh. I'll take my cold winter to his hot summer.

It snows in Texas and it can get really cold too! I was passing through last January thinking I left the cold weather behind me in PA and this is what I ran into just a bit east of Amarillo. I guess that's considered "North" Texas. Notice the fancy accommodations I got to enjoy. :rolleyes:

Out_of_the_snow_Pan_Handle_TX.JPG

On second thought, I realized that Texas is too vague of a term. I think that state has several climate zones. I guess what I'm truly after is when is the best time to buy a used bike in the Austin region? Thanks for the replies guys.

Not sure about weather.but i did see a report that in 2012 Texas and Ohio had the most people killed in car accidents

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

I can understand Texas being #1 on the list, as we have more paved roadways than the rest of the nation.

I wonder what Ohio's excuse is. I would say people people falling asleep while driving from boredom but if that were the case then Nebraska would have the highest fatality rate. :rolleyes:

On second thought, I realized that Texas is too vague of a term. I think that state has several climate zones. I guess what I'm truly after is when is the best time to buy a used bike in the Austin region? Thanks for the replies guys.

I think prices in winter are lower, no matter where, in the lower 48.
It's ez to find a cheap starter bike on craigslist or cycletrader year round.

Back