• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saddlebag braces... home made!

i see that some people got upset because of my post. i'm sorry, english is not my native language and i definitely not planning to offend anyone. i mean what i mean in my post. i have pair of crutches and OP just giving me an idea of how i might use them. that's all.

ce21a2522d7b.jpg

bf2076031c47.jpg

453511ca5c5f.jpg

Pictures....

bag01.jpg
Here's the side view. Notice the bag does NOT rest on the exhaust.

bag02.jpg
from the rear. squared off and level... not leaning in to bother the rear tire.

bag03.jpg
not touching the exhaust. I note that pro bags usually have some heat resistant material in this area.

bag04.jpg
Without the bags.

bag07.jpg
the horizontal, I believe, has to overlap the tube for strength. I wrapped it with vinyl tape to keep them from scuffing the tube. Can you tell that I was in a hurry? I could do the wrapping better!

bag06.jpg

the rear of the structure rests on the metal shelf formed by the license plate frame. Zip ties are there (untrimmed) just to keep it from rattling.

I'd like to strap the bag to the rear foot rests too. I will probably just cut holes in the bag to accomplish that. Seems like a good way to keep the bags from sliding forward or back.

Last edited:
Well that dosent look bad at all.paint them black and i bet it works just fine for you.good job.

sent from my nc700x

I took the saddle bags for a 70mph tour down a few miles toward San Diego. There was no "flutter" I could hear, but it would be interesting to see it from an observation car.

It seems stable. I'm taking them with me on an upcoming trip to Omaha Nebraska! 700 miles a day to get there, spend Thanksgiving with our oldest daughter, then ride home.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I took the saddle bags for a 70mph tour down a few miles toward San Diego. There was no "flutter" I could hear, but it would be interesting to see it from an observation car.

It seems stable. I'm taking them with me on an upcoming trip to Omaha Nebraska! 700 miles a day to get there, spend Thanksgiving with our oldest daughter, then ride home.

Good stuff, Strat! :cool:

Bravo! You might want to bring extra zip ties along the trip (those are plastics right?), just in case it gets cut due to vibration. Or perhaps use double zip ties at each point, to have them more secured.

Bravo! You might want to bring extra zip ties along the trip (those are plastics right?), just in case it gets cut due to vibration. Or perhaps use double zip ties at each point, to have them more secured.

I carry a supply in the frunk at all times. Plastic and cheap..yes they are. doubling up is a good idea with a fully loaded bag

Parting shot

I took the saddlebag braces off today in less than five minutes. Tools required: 1 wire cutter, 1 adjustable wrench.

It looks like this on the ground. It needs two bolts and 4 zip ties (not 2 as shown) to make it work. That's good. I wanted to keep it simple and with as few parts as possible.

partshot.jpg
'Gotta love the California blue sky reflected in the aluminum flatbar.

Last edited:
Now i am wondering if something like this would work as a rear rack.would save alot of $$

sent from my nc700x

I copied another member's idea and used 3/4 cpvc. Looks good and is rock solid since I made everything snug up to existing corners. Goes on or off in less than 10 seconds. Less than $15 in materials.

mumaqy8y.jpg

aja2ehyn.jpg

4ejana3y.jpg

u3uty6aq.jpg

Last edited:
Now i am wondering if something like this would work as a rear rack.would save alot of $$

sent from my nc700x

I'm considering that next. The key to that project will be taking off the hand rails, and putting something under them, then bolting the handrails back on.

That something could then support metal tubing (stronger than flat bar). The metal tubing could then support a platform... a rear rack.

flatbar off the handrail bolts would work because it's thin and wouldn't interfere with the hand rails....but then ... How to connect it to the metal tubing? I DO NOT WELD or know anyone who does.

maybe start with tubing and hammer the end flat that connects to the hand rail... but now to make the tubing useful, you have to be able to bend it, without compromising its tube shape, and strength, into a useful shape... something that will support a flat rack....

I'm still thinking....

I copied another member's idea and used 3/4 cpvc. Looks good and is rock solid since I made everything snug up to existing corners. Goes on or off in less than 10 seconds. Less than $15 in materials.

Yes, I've read his article. The pvc piece that connects the horizontal to the bikes metal tubing (it's a sort of half tube with a female T off it) is not available at my home depot.... I had to think of something else...

I do admire the use of PVC pipe as building material... cheap, light, strong, doesn't rust.... pretty good stuff.

Last edited:
Same here, I couldnt find any of the PVC Stuff at Home Depot actually and was a bit bummed. But I went to Lowes and found every item and as jdmitchell said its very inexpensive. Mines all set up just have to glue the pieces and paint. Might test them out this week on my ride up to Daytona!

If you look up givi or motech you can get an idea how to hook to the rack.this is how i got started so far.

sent from my nc700x

Back