• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargent Seat, Pre-Registering NC700X for Seat Development

To those who have ridden on the Sargent seat is it worth $300 to you? I have one on order and I am considering canceling my order based on some of the comments as it does not seem like a night and day difference. Thanks!

It doesn't appear to be the second coming of Christ like some people were hoping. But it looks like the second best option next to the overpriced Russel Day Long. I'm one of the few who actually likes the stock seat, but I don't tour on the bike.

It doesn't appear to be the second coming of Christ like some people were hoping. But it looks like the second best option next to the overpriced Russel Day Long. I'm one of the few who actually likes the stock seat, but I don't tour on the bike.

There is a few problems with the Day Long........as mentioned extreme cost and style is not to everyone liking.

I am actually pretty comfortable on Shad after stock and Seat Concepts.
On the fence about the Sargent..... That "ridge" 670cc is talking about worries me. I HATE feeling that edge.... Maybe will wait for revision.... Just dunno....

Has anyone purchased and received the "Performance Plus Seat" edition of the NC700 Sargent Cycle seat?
I was hoping to read some additional reviews of this model.
Don't be shy to post opinions and photos. You'll be helping your neighbor make a purchase decision.

Last edited:
I just ordered my Sargent seat yesterday and am hoping I am one of the "satisfied" customers as buying multiple seats to try they out isn't in my budget. I was surprised that after just 9 days after release Sargent was sold out. Mine will be about 2 weeks. Even they were surprised how many they sold off the shelf. I'll update after I get it and ride it for a few trips. I've had Sargent seats in the past and even though they are quite firm, I found them all day comfortable.
Review to come.

Continuing the Sargent seat evaluation, I rode 25 miles yesterday, wearing different riding pants. The slippery-ness was still there on the Sargent Carbon vinyl cover, but maybe a bit better. A handful of front brake results in boys on the frunk (assuming you are a male). Also, I could still feel the edges of the seat foam contour a little. I suppose when your butt gets numb after a few days straight in the saddle, you wouldn't notice.

I then tossed the stock seat back on for a 5 mile comparison. Well right away you miss the dishing of the Sargent. The stock feels like it's humped up near the back center, compared to the Sargent.

Then I remember I had an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. I reinstalled the Sargent and added the sheepskin. The sheepskin fit better on the Sargent because it's wider and taller on the rear sides, allowing more room for the strap buckles. Tonight I rode 30 miles on the sheepskinned Sargent, and I'd have to say it was the most comfortable I've ever been on the NC700X. The sheepskin made it comfortable and eliminated the slippage, but it's a shame the Sargent alone doesn't rate a "10." More testing to come, but I'm up to about 180 miles on the Sargent so far - still deciding.

image(6).jpg

Last edited:
I got the Performance Plus Seat and cover for the rear on Thursday. went riding Friday, Saturday, and to work tonight. First off - my positioning is way different, glad I ordered some Rox 2 risers I'm going to need them for a more upright and rearward position my elbows are almost locked straight. I had to readjust my windscreen (Madstad) half the height and gone are the knee squeezing stops I had with the stock seat, I noticed others were having slippery seats with the other covers, mine is not. Being a new rider I have not much to compare to but at first the seat felt "lumpy" in the front now it kinda disappears and I don't notice the seat at all. Got the silver trim and I think it looks pretty cool, pictures tomorrow can't upload here at work. Definitely a huge plus over stock, can't wait to join OCR for some adventures and Washington in July, just a few more farkles to get the bike ready for some serious highway travel, pictures tomorrow!
WP_20140402_08_54_39_Pro[1].jpg

*Plus some highway pegs and risers

007.jpg
006.jpg

Finally put the passenger seat cover on (with some help from the local upholstery shop and 20$)

002.jpg

Last edited:
Review:
I've gone as many as 600 miles in a day on the stock seat and just as many on the stock with the Bill Mayer Ergo pad.
Those two are my frame of reference for the Sargent seat.
It would be best if I'd ridden the 600 on all the aftermarket seats, but I have not. My thought is that all the aftermarket seats are better, but probably nearly the same. Each one fixes the dishing and slope problems.

Dishing: For a seat to be comfortable, it really should resemble a round disk not a long, padded, fence rail. For me, weight distribution has to fall on those backside muscles meant to bare that weight, not a person's thighs. The Sargent succeeds in this and distributes my 215lbs right where it should. My inner thighs are not sore from today's 150 mile ride.

Slope: the NC700s seat slopes forward. While this might be needed for a street bike that has the rider lean forward to hold the grips, it's annoying on a bike where the rider sits more upright. Many complain that they feel like they're constantly falling forward and have to keep adjusting to compensate. For me, I never really noticed the slope problem, until... until it was gone. The Sargent creates a pocket where my behind fits and it stays there. I'm not constantly pushing forward or back to compensate. It was immediatley relaxing, and I realized my legs weren't as fatigued because they could rest and just let my weight settle in the "pocket". That alone makes the seat a "keeper" for me.

I'm sitting a couple inches lower now because i'm not on a pad on top of another seat. It's easy to reach the ground with both feet flat, and the ERGO, good as it was, couldn't get rid of that rail feeling much as it tried to dish for me. The Sargent is low enough that I can push my back up to the pillion seat, and it almost feels like a very small back rest. That was an unexpected pleasure.

Would I have panned the seat if it were uncomfortable? You bet I would especially since we have 30 days to return it.
Recommended? Definitely.
Better than any other aftermarket seat? Probably not, but well worth the cost.

Last edited:
Hey, if anyone wants to sell their oem seat after their Sergeant conversion, PM me, I may be interested. Wanting to do some fabrication but don't want to use my original seat (I want to ride the bike while I work on some fabrication ideas).

Hey, if anyone wants to sell their oem seat after their Sergeant conversion, PM me, I may be interested. Wanting to do some fabrication but don't want to use my original seat (I want to ride the bike while I work on some fabrication ideas).
I have an OEM seat that I don't need and may sell. What do you value an OEM seat at?
What would be a fair price?

My Sargent seat arrived early this morning. Took off the OEM seat along with the $5.00 seat slope mod and installed the new Sargent seat. Rode 100 miles, returned home, removed seat, placed in original box, and will ship it back Monday morning.

Here is my evaluation: construction quality and appearance is excellent, but I could immediately tell once I sat on the seat that the forward slope was still present, but better than the stock seat. My lower back started aching after the first 25 miles even though the Sargent seat is flatter and has a better scoop to sit in than the stock seat. It felt pretty good when using my highway pegs, but not so good in my normal riding position.

I returned home and put the slope mod back on and then put the Sargent seat on again, but I did not like the large gap that was present between the front of the seat and the frunk. Even tried riding it part of the way back home with my AirHawk. Felt about the same as the stock seat with the AirHawk.

Bottom line for me: stick with stock seat with slope mod and AirHawk. The Sargent is a nice quality seat, but not worth $300.00 to me in my particular ergonomic situation. I have already done several 500 mile days on my current configuration and will use the $300.00 for gasoline as we leave for Big Bend NP and New Mexico next weekend. For some of you the Sargent seat might be a great investment and will fit you just fine. Each of you will need to make your own evaluation.

Enforcer, thanks for your honest feedback. Let us know how the return process goes. I assume buyer ends up paying the shipping both ways, so you (we?) are out about $40 for the chance to sample the seat?

Your right, I figured about $40.00 for a test ride, but I am like the wounded robber at the end of the shootout in the original Dirty Harry movie where Harry said "This is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and could blow your head clean off." And then as he was pointing his gun he asked the bad guy, "Did I fire 5 or 6?" "Well do you feel lucky, punk." When Harry turned to walk away the bad guy said, "I gotsta know." Dirty Harry pointed his 44 mag at the bad guy and pulled the trigger and all we heard was the click. He had fired 6 rounds.

And so it was with the Sargent seat, "I gotsta know" if it was for me or not.

Enforcer, that was a thoughtful review. Thanks for taking the time to to write it. We are all better off when we have access to honest reviews, good or bad.

addendum: I went for a 630-mile ride on the Sargent. After 12 hours in the saddle, just about any saddle will give you a little trouble. I lift up, move my big behind back and up on to the Pillion seat just to change things up. That helps.
For me, The Sargent is still better than the stock with a pad.

Last edited:
Going to order my Sargent seat and rear cover tomorrow. I prematurely sold my corbin thinking I was going to trade the NC. Now I'm keeping it so I want to give the Sargent a try. Is the regular Carbon cover too slippery as some reported? Should I go with the "Plus" seat?

Craig

I got my Sargent seat this past Friday, but didn't ride until today because of wife's "Yard Sale". The seat to me is much better than stock but still not what I would call a "perfect seat". I do sit more in a bucket and don't slide forward as with the stock seat. The ride home is usually worse after running around and sitting at my desk all day in jeans. Today the 15 mile ride home was much more comfortable than usual.
My only fit complaint is that it fits loose in the front. There is vertical and lateral play between the seat tongue and the seat bridge on the bike. The front of the seat looks like it doesn't sit down where it belongs. I may do some mods to the front height and fit in the front.
Other than that I will need a long ride to really judge.

My only fit complaint is that it fits loose in the front. There is vertical and lateral play between the seat tongue and the seat bridge on the bike. The front of the seat looks like it doesn't sit down where it belongs. I may do some mods to the front height and fit in the front.
Other than that I will need a long ride to really judge.

No Offense intended........but it sounds like the seat tang is not engaged in the frame????????????

If any thing the Sargent seat is a tighter fit in the tang area and distance and gaps to the "trunk". ????????

My Sargent has a bit looser fit up front than stock, and the tang/tab/tongue is definitely engaged.

Last edited:
Back