• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shad SH-36 side cases

Yes, I loaded them right away and took off. The bike is not as nimble with the extra weight - but then no bike is. I can say unequivocally that the NC handles the interstate and highway speeds a lot better. Not near as much buffeting. It just rides more stable. I think the wind channeling does the trick because it does the same loaded or unloaded -so the weight is not much of a factor.
I really like these side cases!

Hi,

Thanks for posting this, and especially the photos as I have found these really useful. I have just recently bought a set of Shad panniers, having previously bought the Shad rack arms. I can confirm that the Shad rack arms replace the pannier mounting brackets that come with the panniers and which bolt under the handrails to provide two of the fixing points for the L shaped pannier mounting arms. The rack arms provide equivalent fixing points for the L shaped arms, with the end result that the panniers are in exactly the same place with either system.

As you mention this gives an approximately 45" width which I wasn't entirely happy with, and so I was looking for a way of mounting them closer to the bike. In addition, on my previous bike I had a Givi rack and panniers, and I had used the Givi rack to mount a Coocase top box using Coocase mounting plates which bolt onto the Givi rack. I prefer the Coocase top box looks, and I got one with electronic locking, built-in alarm, and LED brake lights, so as part of this I wanted to keep the Coocase on my new NC750X.

However, I had found that the Shad rack arms were too far apart to take my Coocase adapter plates, so inspired by your pictures of the Givi rack arms co-existing with the Shad pannier mounting brackets I decided to get the Givi arms so that I could fit my top box without needing to make a wider adapter plate, with the worst case being that the Shad panniers would still mount in the standard position like yours. However I had hopes that I would be able to ditch the Shad mounts and find a way to mount the panniers further inboard by attaching to the same brackets that hold the Givi rack arms.

After a lot of trying out alternative positions, using the exhaust side pannier as this is more constrained due to the exhaust, I found that I could mount the L shaped pannier mounting arms using some relatively simple brackets made from flat steel bars bolted on to the Givi rack mount brackets under the Givi rack arms. The only problem was that this left the forward mount brackets which attach to the passenger foot rest way out of position, being too far inboard and lower than originally due to a slight change in angle of the pannier bottom surface which is now pretty much aligned with the exhaust. I was originally just going to cut these brackets off and replace them with custom made replacements, but decided to have a go at bending the original brackets. This was fairly complex in order to clear the swing arm and correct the downwards angle, but I eventually got a good fit despite having very limited equipment to do this (basically a vice and brute strength!)

The end result is that the total width is now less than 41", which I am very pleased with. I am now going to get the brackets powder coated before final assembly, after which I will take some photos and post here and on another NC700 forum I use. I would like to ask if you would have any objection to me re-posting a couple of your pictures when I do this, purely for comparison purposes? I would also like to include a link to your original post if that is OK.

Fred

Last edited:
Fred, please do post photos of your finished modifications. Thanks for the write up!

You can definitely do all of the above requested! I like modifications (especially when they work as planned)!

I would really like to see what you did. Thanks -Mike

Thanks for the permissions Mike. I will get this fully written up with some pictures as soon as possible - assuming the rain stops for long enough to get some decent pictures of course! We had quite a dry warm September with some decent riding weather, but October is looking like it is going to be very wet.

Fred

Fred, please do post photos of your finished modifications. Thanks for the write up!

I have created a post in the NC750X modifications section with some further explanations and a lot of pictures. I can't put the URL to it here as it has not gone live yet - apparently it has to get moderator approval first, perhaps because of the links to external pictures..

Fred

Here is my set up it looks like the GIVI mount is tighter to the bike
Nice setup!
How's the handling with the cases and top box fitted?
Reason I ask is because I have just sold a Moto Guzzi Norge that had Guzzi Panniers and a Givi Topbox and it was a little scary on the highway with them fitted.
Currently got a V46 Givi Topbox on the NC750X DCT and I forget that it's there! :D

Andy

Last edited:
You can definitely do all of the above requested! I like modifications (especially when they work as planned)!

I would really like to see what you did. Thanks -Mike

Hi,

My comprehensive post with lots of pictures has still not appeared, hopefully it will soon, but in the meantime here is a picture of my installation compared with yours.

I have tried to make my picture as comparable as possible, but I think yours must have been taken with a wider angle lens than mine, which has the effect of exaggerating the size difference between near and close objects, so although the panniers look the same the front of the bike looks more distant in your shot.

There could also be some minor differences between your NC700 and my NC750 in things like width of indicators, etc. Despite all this I think you can see the difference. I would estimate that my panniers are about 2" lower, 2" closer to the bike and are also about 1" further back viewed from the side.

Fred

composite3-X3.jpg

Side view of modified SHAD mounts:

A6K-3047129-1301-X2.jpg

I decided to fit SHAD panniers to my new NC750X DCT, primarily because I prefer the minimalist look of the mounting frames compared with those for the Givi panniers I used on my previous bike (Honda CrossRunner). Apart from long trips I will mostly be riding the bike without the panniers attached, so this was important to me. I also think the shape of the panniers is a little sleeker than the Givi items.

I was aware from this post: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/7305-shad-sh-36-side-cases.html that the SHAD panniers are a bit wide (approx 45") when fitted to the NC700X/750X, so many thanks to itlives for posting this, especially the pictures, as these were very helpful in convincing me that there was scope to mount the SHAD panniers closer to the bike, and to use the Givi rack mount brackets as a basis for this, as I also wanted replace the SHAD rack arms I had initially bought to mount my top box. On my previous bike I had a Givi rack and panniers, and I had used the Givi rack to mount a Coocase top box using Coocase mounting plates which bolt onto the Givi rack. I prefer the Coocase top box looks, and I got one with electronic locking, built-in alarm, and LED brake lights, so as part of this I wanted to keep the Coocase on my new NC750X.

However, I had found that the Shad rack arms were too far apart to take my Coocase adapter plates, so inspired by the pictures in the above post of the Givi rack arms co-existing with the Shad pannier mounting brackets I decided to get the Givi arms so that I could fit my top box without needing to make a wider adapter plate, with the worst case being that the Shad panniers would still mount in their standard position. However I had hopes that I would be able to ditch the Shad mounts and find a way to mount the panniers further inboard by attaching to the same brackets that hold the Givi rack arms.

After a lot of trying out alternative positions, using the exhaust side pannier as this is more constrained due to the exhaust, I found that I could mount the L shaped pannier mounting bars using some relatively simple brackets made from flat steel bars bolted on to the Givi rack mount brackets under the Givi rack arms. The only problem was that this left the forward mount brackets which attach to the passenger foot rest way out of position, being too far inboard and lower than originally due to a slight change of angle and being mounted considerably lower than standard. I was originally just going to cut these brackets off at the welds and replace them with custom made replacements, but decided to have a go at bending the original brackets. This was fairly complex in order to clear the swing arm and correct the downwards angle, but I eventually got a good fit despite having very limited equipment to do this (basically a vice and brute strength!)

The end result is that the total width is now less than 41", which I am very pleased with. I had my brackets powder coated before final assembly, and also had the L-shaped SHAD mount rails stripped and powder coated as I had done some damage to the paint in bending the brackets which attach to the footrest mount. The following are some before and after pictures, including some detailed close-ups of how the new mounts attach, interspersed with some further comments.

I hope this is useful, or at least interesting to others.

Fred

Bike before any mods:

A6K-3047129-1252-X2.jpg

Initial fitting and adjustment of new brackets:

A6K-3047129-1261-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1264-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1266-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1271-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1273-X2.jpg

Brackets made from stainless steel wall tie rod from Wickes builders merchants/DIY depot:

A6K-3047129-1278-X2.jpg

Detailed views of final fitting after powder coating. I replaced the bolts with stainless steel items.

A6K-3047129-1285-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1288-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1290-X2.jpg

This is the critical point for the panniers to fit. The front new bracket, unlike the rear one, is fitted behind the Givi rack mounting bracket. This to put the rack arm as close to the bike as possible as this determines how far out the pannier fits. There has to be enough room for the U shaped hooks on the back of the panniers to drop vertically past the rack arm onto the SHAD L-shaped mounting bar. I moved this bar outwards just enough to allow the panniers to be fitted by putting some washers as spacers between the new front bracket and the front mounting point on the SHAD bar, as can be seen in the picture above.

A6K-3047129-1295-X2.jpg

Views of bike after final fitting:

A6K-3047129-1282-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1284-X2.jpg

This one shows the minimalist look of the mounting bars which I was after:

A6K-3047129-1287-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1294-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1297-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-1300-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice setup you have there Fred!
I have the same bike and colour as yours and I'am just down the road in Leicester from you! :)

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I remember we both "bought" the same bike from Grantham Honda at one point! Glad you got an identical one in the end.

Difficult to know if we have much in common other than the choice of bike, but maybe we should meet up sometime? I will be going over to Grantham at some point, but not had chance to do enough miles for my first service yet - too busy bolting bits on the bike!

Fred

I have these cases on my 2014. The price is better than most other cases ,they are strong and well made. They do push a lot of wind and if they could tuck in more to the side of the bike mpg would not be effected so much.Overall I am well pleased.
Bandit

Thanks for the pictures and description. As I look into side cases for longer trips, will definitely keep these in mind. The color combination looks really good too.

Back